Intro to the forum and question about Silver Sky Headstock

villavi3

Intro into how I got here (Skip if you don't care):
Hey guys! new to the forum but not new to guitars or PRS. My CU22 from 2016 has been my favourite guitar for a bit now. Im a huge Strat fan and have always been curious about the Silver Sky but for whatever reason I was always hesitant. Last year in October I saw a second hand SE Silver Sky for sale at a good discount and bought it, I fell in love with it, been playing the hell out of it since.
The local PRS dealer here in San Salvador rarely gets Core guitars so its difficult to try them, but last week I was in Miami and decided to stop by a Guitar Centre to try the core version, maybe a mistake because 15min in I was in love and ready to take my credit card out, however my gf gave me "the look" so I decided to sleep on it. Didn't end up buying it, but I did have a crazy idea. which is what I want to get into here and the reason for the long intro.

The actual question:
I tried both core and SE back to back at the shop, and realised they're very different, feel-wise and tone-wise, not in a good or bad way, just different. The only thing I could spot that was objectively better (for me and where I come from with my old Strats: 85 AVRI and 74) on the Core was the neck, so that got me thinking about putting a core neck on my SE, I did find one on reverb and bought it, should be here in a couple weeks. Now it doesn't come with tuners, so my question is: Will the SE non-locking tuners fit on the Core neck?
I know the core locking runners fit the SE but Im not sure they do the other way round, if anyone know please let me let me know as I could buy the locking tuners (Something I will do eventually but not critical to me right now).

Stating the obvious:
Im fully aware this is the stupidest way to go about it, I know that by selling the SE for what I bought it and what I bought the neck for, I could've gotten a nice used core, but this sounded a lot more fun and Ive bonded with this little green SE, and Ive always been fascinated by the Clapton Blackie story, so this was the way for me.

PS:
Thank you for reading and adding an opinion (if you do, if not thanks for checking my first post anyway!). I'll keep everyone that's interested posted on how it goes.
Also what do you think I should name this? Ive been thinking Silver Parts, Silver Spares, Tailor Sky, Silver Tweak,

Cheers!

Miguel

They should fit fine. The ferrules are different size though (the part the tuning post sticks up through). The SE ferrule outer diameter is smaller than the Core. If the Core neck still has the ferrules you'll be fine.

I really need to post my SE SS mods.

Good luck!

Congrats on following your vision - if it's what *you* want, and you're happy, who cares what anyone says? Right on!

They should fit fine. The ferrules are different size though (the part the tuning post sticks up through). The SE ferrule outer diameter is smaller than the Core. If the Core neck still has the ferrules you'll be fine.

I really need to post my SE SS mods.

Good luck!
Doesn’t look like from the photos but we’ll see when it gets here, if not I’ll try to see if I can get some through my AD

And yes! Please do share! I would love to see them!!

Welcome Miguel.

Feel free to share some pics of your PRS beauties, when you can.

Best of luck with the mods.

I'm more concerned about whether or not the core neck will fit the SE body and vice versa. I wouldn't mess with the tuners until confirming the necks fit and the guitars both set up and play properly.

With Fender, Squier, and all their copies you can usually, though not always, swap parts like that. However, PRS and the Silver Sky models is a different world so the parts may not match.

Last edited:
Back