Incoming NGD

88prs

OCD for PRS
Hi, arriving Wednesday is a S2 Standard 24 Gloss. What can I expect in tone, quality, cool factor?

I ordered gloss Black.

Seriously.... we're talking a $1300 axe not the normal $3-5K.... just figured I'd ask

I love my s2 singlecut standard.
Very versatile, great tones, amazing feel....I chose this over an artist package 594.

I couldn’t afford it as easily, but it was just as awesome.

You can expect greatness.

My personal opinion is that S2s are amazing guitars. This is coming from someone that used to look down on S2s. I currently own 3 cores and 2 S2s and in my opinion they are on par with the core models. Yes, they have simpler construction techniques, but the attention to detail is up there. For instance, the fret edges are perfectly smooth, the fingerboard edges are deliciously rounded, and the nut slots are immaculate and do not exhibit any pinching. What you forgo relative to a core is the deep violin carve, electronics and the American hardware, though for models with a stoptail you get the same bridge as the core. The low mass locking tuners are very similar to the phase II tuners and they work great. I think they use the same fret wire as the cores. I find the bevel cut quite comfortable and although I prefer the electronics and pickups on my core models, I don't find it that I need to run out the door to swap those parts. My S2 singlecut came with #7 "S" in them and before I received the guitar I thought that the pickups might be something that I would swap out. To my surprise, I really enjoyed the pickups and right now I don't have any urge to swap them out. I'm amazed by the range of tone it has. To give you an idea, to get a woman tone on a Les Paul or SG, I normally have to roll the tone knob on the neck pickup all the way down. On my S2 Singlecut with #7 "S" all the way down is much darker than what's been considered a Woman Tone. Conversely, with the tone all the way up, I get a brighter tone than any Les Paul or SG I've played with the tone all the way up.

Edit: I don't know if this is a psychological bias, but I think core might have an even thinner finish than the S2s. However, I still think the S2s have super thin finishes, it's just that Core feel even thinner. Or maybe it's a different type o finish altogether. Whatever it is, they don't have that plastic feel that you get from poly finished guitars from other manufacturers.

Last edited:
you won't regret it
All USA made in the same factory as core models (in a .building) with all same techniques. ONly differences
are less of a violin carve and korean made pickups (to PRS specs). BAsically, the 7 s's in my standard s2 singlecut are just like the usa made #7,
but made in a different country.

Well worth half the price of a core. If you want core electroncis, you can buy them (for several hundred dollars)

The 85/15 s pickups were an incredible surprise to me in my S2 Custom 24. Great clean tones, and even better bite with overdrive.

incoming.jpg

I am poor. I cannot afford a Core. So I tried the SE Singlecut way back. I wasn't impressed, so I returned it and ignored PRS. Then, I found an S2 Standard 22 I couldn't pass. I tried it and I couldn't let go! I liked it enough that I sold all my other guitars to pay for it. I found no reason to own multiple guitars after playing this. I'm a mod person mod'ing all my affordable guitars to meet my need, but I couldn't find any reason to mod anything on this. I'm a high output pickup person while the 85/15s on it are not that high output, put it just drives perfect enough than I need and the cleans are dreamy.

Last edited:
So I've had it almost a whole day... pickups sound great 58/15 S. The white dots are a bit cheasy and obnoxious, hopefully they will change that in future models.

Over all, for the money it's very well made.

Oh, it does not fit in a PRS case properly, since it's a thinner the body it sits low in the case making the neck rise well above the neck support. So cool gig bag it is!

I really need to try a S2

Rider brought his gold Vela over last week and it impressed me, as it was the first time I really paid attention to playing an S2.

Felt like my Core Mira albeit with different hardware and a different shape but, the quality was exactly on par.

Kinda made me feel like I’ll grab one eventually when the price is right, or I can get excited about a model.

Rider brought his gold Vela over last week and it impressed me, as it was the first time I really paid attention to playing an S2.

Felt like my Core Mira albeit with different hardware and a different shape but, the quality was exactly on par.

Kinda made me feel like I’ll grab one eventually when the price is right, or I can get excited about a model.
Yeah, the Studio has been grabbing my attention so far.
Can you imagine a S2 Paul's?

Back