I have the most respect for Paul Reed Smith guitars but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a boner of a thread.

Agree. Paul did not know the song at all and showed a lot of guts just going out there. They are playing at extreme volumes, and anyone who has played that loud, knows how hard it is to hear if you are even playing in tune or not, never mind trying to learn a song you do not know on the spot! He is even laughing and shrugging his shoulders about it. Give the guy a break. I have seen George Benson play in the wrong key in a similar situation, and that guy has ears and talent as big as anyone who has lived.

Paul has his own band, and is an excellent player. It's obvious he didn't know the chord changes to that song. Tremonti (one of the nicest guys I've ever met) was trying to show them to him. An ado about nothing...

This.

I've seen and heard PRSh play enough at Experience to know he's a good player. His duet with Davy Knowles on "Imagine" a few years ago was so dynamite, I texted my wife during the song and said, "You should be here to hear this. Awesome." Give this a listen and tell me he can't play.

FWIW, and I say this not to disparage the player in question, but I saw a guitarist I admire greatly join a jam on-stage at Experience. And this dude can play. But it was a bluesy tune, and he's not really a bluesy player, and he was clearly not comfortable in the style. And I've seen him tear it up at Experience - before and since.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was at this show--right in front of Mark, front row on the rail. He certainly didn't say such nonsense. Stop it.

I seem to remember that Ted McCarty wasn't a guitar player at all yet helped create some of the most coveted guitars and pickups in history. Just because he doesn't know a certain song doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's doing when building guitars. Check out his Ted Talk video about sound and components, he's dedicated his life to making amazing guitars.

I saw Eric Clapton play Nobody Knows When You are Down and Out with Vince Gill (as a guest). Eric asked Vince to solo and Vince had no idea what to do because this song is not your typical 12 bar blues by any means. I only bring this up because even great guitar players will have issues playing a song if they don't know the chords before hand and the chord changes come quickly (as is the case with this song).

Please give Paul a break.

I don't understand your motivation here. Paul is a very fine guitarist. Sitting in with AB like this isn't an easy thing to do....Most experienced musicians I know would be supportive of his effort.

also kindness in this world goes a long way....as does respect of fellow musicians.

BS like this is one of the reasons I don't post here that much anymore.

Hey Bob, the good news is that, in general, BS like this is far between. Even when it shows up, so many of the regulars chime in to redirect/educate such misinformed or mal-intentioned drivel.

Alright, alright...

The OP has received enough of a beating... Let's move on...

Flimbo, can you please post some links to your YouTube videos, or to your Soundclick page? I'd love to hear someone who really knows how to play. I hope PRS doesn't blow a major opportunity here. Since you're so much better than Paul, I think PRS should give you an endorsement deal. :rock:

I posted this same video last year, but with no ill intent.
I thought it was cool of Paul to jam with Mark.

The OP deleted his initial post. It is still in the copied posts however. Not sure why unless he didn't really mean to stir up such a fuss. I was going to say he might have just been trolling, but to erase the post seems to indicate remorse (no self respecting troll would have remorse). I think we have defended PRSH's honor and playing skills sufficiently and can let the OP off the hook with time served. :)

I think they did leave him hanging out to dry, though. That's not exactly a "pick it up as we go along" song. Plus they're in drop D, and I'm guessing Paul wasn't. And then they strut off doing their rock star thing. If I were Paul, backstage I'd be going "What the hell, man!?" but laughing about it the whole way.

Haven't you ever been left behind trying to jam with people who know something you don't? Paul did the smart thing by dropping out. But in the band's defense, Paul should've known what he was getting himself into before he went out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back