I have the most respect for Paul Reed Smith guitars but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
He clearly doesn't know the song, which also changes progressions fairly quickly. Was better he didn't play anything than pretend he did and mess up the last song of the show.

The guitarist is Mark Tremonti, you know, the guy that's had Sig PRS for years and years, and was wearing a PRS T-shirt. Pretty sure he wouldn't say that to PRSh, or act like you think he was acting.

Had to try this for myself.
Guess you have a different YouTube in the UK. When I used the exact search, the video came up on the second page, hardly the "first thing".

...when I went searching on Youtube for "does Paul Reed Smith actually play guitar",this is the first thing I found.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL7FtZIzfCY
You have to watch the whole thing.

He does not know where he is. Even the guitarist walks up and plays in his face the progresson to try and give him an idea.
I think he also taps him on the shoulder and mouths the words "this is embarrasing c'mon".

If Nuno Bettencourt brought you on stage and asked you to join him on "Flight Of The Bumblebee", could you do it even though you've heard many times?

Last edited:
For someone who devoted most of his life studying how to build the best guitars (not how to play them), I'd say he's a pretty good player. For a fair comparison, I'd like to see a guitar built by Mark Tremonti.

Paul was like...uhm..this isn't exactly the same as the Creed stuff you were playing when I first signed you on :p
For the record I'm a Creed fan, not the hugest AB fan

Please Note: Paul is a professional guitar builder, Mark and Myles are professional guitar players.
Paul is definitely a good guitarist.

Paul has his own band, and is an excellent player. It's obvious he didn't know the chord changes to that song. Tremonti (one of the nicest guys I've ever met) was trying to show them to him. An ado about nothing...

Paul has his own band, and is an excellent player. It's obvious he didn't know the chord changes to that song. Tremonti (one of the nicest guys I've ever met) was trying to show them to him. An ado about nothing...
Yup.

First, Paul is a fantastic player for someone who doesn't do it professionally. Second, what does it matter anyway, you're buying his guitars not his records. Moot point, and a poor one at that. Let's move on.

I'm pretty sure Leo Fender didn't play at all.

I was wondering what the point here was but then I saw the Grumpy Cat avatar of the OP... :laugh:

From what I've seen at one event with Paul, he's a better player than probably 80% of his customers.

I watched the entire video.
There's no way Mark Tremonti, or any member of his band, had anything but respect for Paul in that video.

I have seen Paul play in person so many times, I've lost count. He regularly has the cajones to go toe to toe with the greatest players on the planet. He knows his own limitations and is content to watch and learn when he is out of his depth.

I've seen him jam with enthusiasm and skill with Tremonti, DeMeola, Leese, Grissom, Knowles, Santana, Highland, Buddy Guy, Winwood and more. NONE of these great players EVER even hinted at being embarrassed to play with Paul. They were all enthusiastic supporters who respect Paul as a person, a builder and even as a fellow player.

The OP needs to go to an Experience and meet the man himself. That will forever put the **** I read in the OP's post out to pasture for him.

Last edited:
Flimbo:

I don't understand coming to Paul's house and dissing his playing in the first place. I can't imagine any guitar player appreciating negative comments. Paul is your host here.

On the other hand, if you think this is all a good idea, fair game, and good sportsmanship, then by all means please post some of your own playing so that a bunch of us can dissect it. :top:

Well, I've been sitting in in jazz sessions or gigs where something was called, and I did not know the changes, but they wanted me to stick around and try, too. And I saw that happen to many others as well, especially in music school where such things were common. In most cases we were quick to pick up, but sometimes not for whatever reason. I certainly wouldn't have wanted my playing to be judged by a time I struggled. And I think there are quite a few videos of Mr. Smith's impressive playing, so anyone ready to make overly judgmental statements should watch those as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back