Are the pickups original ones on this 2018 PAUL REED SMITH PRS SE STANDARD 24 - TOBACCO SUNBURST

sjohnson7591

I found this guitar on eBay. Are the pickups original ones on this 2018 PAUL REED SMITH PRS SE STANDARD 24 - TOBACCO SUNBURST? The pickup frame on all the picture of the guitar I could find on google is white, but this guitar has black pickup frame. Do you think they are original PRS 85/15 "S" pickups?

And, how to fill/fix the screw hole on the headstock of the original tuners. Thank you.

prs1.jpg

prs2.jpg

prs3.jpg

prs4.jpg

prs5.jpg

prs6.jpg

Even if they are the 8515S I'd swap them anyhow.. Swapping pickup rings is common practice and doesn't by any stretch mean pups were swapped. Those hipshot tuners look good with out the mounting plate on a PRS headstock and swapped tuner buttons. The cheap easy way to fill the holes is use a tooth pick and match with some nail polish. Remove the plates and mount them direct to the headstock. Or... you could pull them all together and get some PRS se locking tuners to replace that will line up with the existing holes.

I've since swapped the buttons, but much cleaner without the plates.

t20201114_22070884dcc3314ff2d18a.jpg

I had an SE 24 years ago that came with zebras. Only way to be sure is to pull them. I wouldn’t waste your time filling screw holes. In fact, I wouldn’t waste my time with that POS unless the price is square in the right category.
$330 shipped, is it good price?

Even if they are the 8515S I'd swap them anyhow.. Swapping pickup rings is common practice and doesn't by any stretch mean pups were swapped. Those hipshot tuners look good with out the mounting plate on a PRS headstock and swapped tuner buttons. The cheap easy way to fill the holes is use a tooth pick and match with some nail polish. Remove the plates and mount them direct to the headstock. Or... you could pull them all together and get some PRS se locking tuners to replace that will line up with the existing holes.

I've since swapped the buttons, but much cleaner without the plates.

t20201114_22070884dcc3314ff2d18a.jpg
Thanks for your suggestions!

$330 shipped, is it good price?
Only you can say for sure.

A few things: This is a Korean-made SE, generally seen as producing better quality of the SE factory products. It's clear the tuners have been replaced, but without index screws in the new locations. This guitar may better be served by replacing the tuners with OEM versions, so long as the new ones didd not require any reaming of the original headstock holes. The Pickups are likely not stock, so you'd face replacing those as well. Who knows about the status of the electronics under the hood. All more time and labor. If it was me, I'd say hard pass. Unless you like the price and plan not to change anything. Otherwise, I'd look for a low maintenance guitar that's already spec'd the way you prefer and spend your time rocking it instead of risking a lemon.

Only you can say for sure.

A few things: This is a Korean-made SE, generally seen as producing better quality of the SE factory products. It's clear the tuners have been replaced, but without index screws in the new locations. This guitar may better be served by replacing the tuners with OEM versions, so long as the new ones didd not require any reaming of the original headstock holes. The Pickups are likely not stock, so you'd face replacing those as well. Who knows about the status of the electronics under the hood. All more time and labor. If it was me, I'd say hard pass. Unless you like the price and plan not to change anything. Otherwise, I'd look for a low maintenance guitar that's already spec'd the way you prefer and spend your time rocking it instead of risking a lemon.
The tuners are a direct swap, no reaming, and they use no drill mounting plates. Hipshot are very good tuners. I wouldn't think the pickups are swapped. Could be and easy enough to tell once in hand, but honestly it's probably a good thing. Se pickups are a weak point, and maybe more so during the Korean years. They do have that little different G&B shade of cream, but so do lots of pickups.

Locking tuners and pickup rings are two common swaps.

Edit- I agree OP, only you can decide if it's for you. Guitars are a personal choice that only you can make. $300 isn't a lot of money, and if I like a guitar it's a gamble I'd take, but I enjoy tweaking on them. If you're new to guitars I'd recommend finding one local. So many factors come into play on what works for each of us, and that'll change over the years. The Korean se are fantastic guitars and the standard is a solid model I'd choose. Honestly if I was starting my PRS journey over it would be a S2 standard for my first.

Last edited:
I found this guitar on eBay. Are the pickups original ones on this 2018 PAUL REED SMITH PRS SE STANDARD 24 - TOBACCO SUNBURST? The pickup frame on all the picture of the guitar I could find on google is white, but this guitar has black pickup frame. Do you think they are original PRS 85/15 "S" pickups?

And, how to fill/fix the screw hole on the headstock of the original tuners. Thank you.

prs1.jpg

prs2.jpg

prs3.jpg

prs4.jpg

prs5.jpg

prs6.jpg
I just noticed this HOT GARBAGE. What are classic tuner plates doing on the back of the header??? I'm going limp. I would spray that f7cker down with vampire spray and move on. That is scary. Why are they selling it for so cheap with all that work put in? Likely something is wrong, that's the bet I would make. But that's me. NEXT!

I just noticed this HOT GARBAGE. What are classic tuner plates doing on the back of the header??? I'm going limp. I would spray that f7cker down with vampire spray and move on. That is scary. Why are they selling it for so cheap with all that work put in? Likely something is wrong, that's the bet I would make. But that's me. NEXT!
I think someone has been drinkin' that vampire spray on a Friday night! :D

The tuner plates are so that you don’t have to drill holes and can reverse the mod by putting the origin tuners back on if you decide to sell the guitar later. They’re locking tuners with a high ratio. I put them on 3 of my SE’s and am very happy with them. The guitar is not a POS. They pickups may/may not need to be replaced. They SE pickups are all over the place. Some of the SE’s have fantastic fretwork and can be made excellent with a USA nut. For $300, I’d buy it. If you decide not to, let me know where it is and I might still buy it. All mahogany guitars sound different than maple capped ones. If it’s your first PRS, it could be a good gateway drug.

Not sure what Viper is drinking but those Hipshot open gear locking tuners are excellent and a great upgrade on pretty much any guitar. I use them on my custom builds.

Back