I can't decide between a Gretsch or a PRS.

The answer is blindingly obvious; list all of the Gretsch-playing blues or punk rock players you can think of.

Hint: you might be looking for a long time.

Tim Armstrong. Even has a sig model. :)

Yeah, I'd go for a Starla. Definitely has a Gretsch-y vibe, and can cover a lot of bases. Heck, Brent Hinds from Mastodon uses an old Core Starla with the stock pickups switched out.

I understand the indecisiveness regarding which brands to choose, but asking between a Gretsch and PRS on a Official PRS forum will primarily garner replies leaning towards PRS almost all the time. People are definitely open minded, but PRS is king around these lands. For good reason too :p:p:D.

Reactions: moT
I was in the same boat a couple years ago. Couldn't decide if I wanted a Gretsch or something else. I ended up with this something else...
IMG_0836_zpsqqhw7sne.jpg

So your asking this in a PRS forum?:rolleyes:;):D Did you ask the same question in a Gretsch forum? Were the answers dramatically different?

But I tend to agree with all the answers above. I can go with a Gretsch for blues. But for the other music genres you listed as being interested in I can definitely see a PRS before the Gretsch. Good luck on your search!

I would get a PRS, even an SE model before a Gretsch. I think the Gretsch sound is some kind of country music thing but not desirable to me like a telecaster. With this idea in my mind I would unhesitatingly get the PRS.

Blues music is a vibe. You can play it on any guitar, even super junk guitars, as many of the blues greats started on. But I'm sure that I dig playing blues with a PRS and a good tube amp and nice overdrive pedal. Might as well have a great guitar. Even the SE's are very nice with a great amp.

I think the Gretsch sound is some kind of country music thing but not desirable to me like a telecaster.

Duffy, I agree with most of what you said, and I would certainly choose a PRS over a Gretsch if I could only have one or the other, but sound wise, Gretsch's have made some of the greatest tones in rock history - how about all of the Who's "Quadrophenia" and "Who's Next" for starters (don't even get me started on the Beatles and British Invasion)! They're certainly not "just" country guitars - Just Sayin'

Duffy, I agree with most of what you said, and I would certainly choose a PRS over a Gretsch if I could only have one or the other, but sound wise, Gretsch's have made some of the greatest tones in rock history - how about all of the Who's "Quadrophenia" and "Who's Next" for starters (don't even get me started on the Beatles and British Invasion)! They're certainly not "just" country guitars - Just Sayin'

I'm mainly talking about the tone I hear when I play one. Neil Young plays one, a top end model, as well as many others. I dig the PRS sounds much better.

I Neil Young plays one, a top end model, as well as many others. I dig the PRS sounds much better.

I think most of Neal Young's playing and recording has been actually done with "Old Black", a Les Paul painted black. He traded a Gretsch to Jim Messina for it.

I don't know what the "White Falcon" is. I just know he plays Old Black and he got it as I described.

And yeah, he could string a frying pan and sound better than I ever will!
facepalm.gif

Back