I can't decide between a Gretsch or a PRS.

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Ozzy_Stabb, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Whitecat

Whitecat Goes home to Starla

Tim Armstrong. Even has a sig model. :)

2. drdoom8793

drdoom8793 THAT guy at Chick-fil-A

Yeah, I'd go for a Starla. Definitely has a Gretsch-y vibe, and can cover a lot of bases. Heck, Brent Hinds from Mastodon uses an old Core Starla with the stock pickups switched out.

Whitecat likes this.
  3. jcha008

jcha008 New Member

I understand the indecisiveness regarding which brands to choose, but asking between a Gretsch and PRS on a Official PRS forum will primarily garner replies leaning towards PRS almost all the time. People are definitely open minded, but PRS is king around these lands. For good reason too :p:p:D.

moT likes this.
  4. bluenova

bluenova Electrified since '84

I was in the same boat a couple years ago. Couldn't decide if I wanted a Gretsch or something else. I ended up with this something else...
    [​IMG]

Whitecat likes this.
  5. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Ha! WTF do I know?

I'd still get the PRS.

Whitecat likes this.
  6. matonanjin

matonanjin New Member

So your asking this in a PRS forum?:rolleyes:;):D Did you ask the same question in a Gretsch forum? Were the answers dramatically different?

But I tend to agree with all the answers above. I can go with a Gretsch for blues. But for the other music genres you listed as being interested in I can definitely see a PRS before the Gretsch. Good luck on your search!

jcha008 likes this.
  7. Duffy

Duffy New Member

I would get a PRS, even an SE model before a Gretsch. I think the Gretsch sound is some kind of country music thing but not desirable to me like a telecaster. With this idea in my mind I would unhesitatingly get the PRS.

Blues music is a vibe. You can play it on any guitar, even super junk guitars, as many of the blues greats started on. But I'm sure that I dig playing blues with a PRS and a good tube amp and nice overdrive pedal. Might as well have a great guitar. Even the SE's are very nice with a great amp.

8. goat-n-gitter

goat-n-gitter Dismembered

Duffy, I agree with most of what you said, and I would certainly choose a PRS over a Gretsch if I could only have one or the other, but sound wise, Gretsch's have made some of the greatest tones in rock history - how about all of the Who's "Quadrophenia" and "Who's Next" for starters (don't even get me started on the Beatles and British Invasion)! They're certainly not "just" country guitars - Just Sayin'

9. Duffy

Duffy New Member

I'm mainly talking about the tone I hear when I play one. Neil Young plays one, a top end model, as well as many others. I dig the PRS sounds much better.

10. TroyBaer

TroyBaer Really knows where his towel is.

Indeed he did, over on GretschTalk. It went about the way you would expect.

jcha008 likes this.
  11. matonanjin

matonanjin New Member

I think most of Neal Young's playing and recording has been actually done with "Old Black", a Les Paul painted black. He traded a Gretsch to Jim Messina for it.

12. Duffy

Duffy New Member

Oh yeah? He traded the White Falcon for that? That Old Black works well for him. Of course an old black cast iron frying pan would probably work very well for him.

13. matonanjin

matonanjin New Member

I don't know what the "White Falcon" is. I just know he plays Old Black and he got it as I described.

And yeah, he could string a frying pan and sound better than I ever will! [​IMG]

Duffy likes this.
  14. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc “Evil” Sergio. You can tell by the goatee

What's a Gretsch? You mean like the drum company? ;)

15. Duffy

Duffy New Member

You might want to look at a picture of a White Falcon if you have never seen one. I don't desire one but it's a serious looking guitar.