I can't decide between a Gretsch or a PRS.

Ozzy_Stabb

So I've for about a year now been wanting a Gretsch or a PRS, and now the opportunity has finally arose. I'm soon gonna go to a Guitar Center and replay the two guitars that I've narrowed it down to, to see/remember the feel of them. I KNOW that they are completely different guitars and that they provide to a wide range of different genres. And so with that in mind I ask is a PRS or a Gretsch better for playing Blues, Alt Rock, and Punk, As these are the types of music that I listen to and play in my band. I don't wanna hear the "Play them and see what you like' thing or the "Save up and buy each" because it's always the same, I just want a simple comparison, and some feedback. Cheers!

Do you know what? My best guitars, the ones that I play most at the end of the day, they all came trying other guitars at stores. You`re trying something that you like in photos or internet, or read in forums, but doesn`t fit for whatever reason... and suddenly you see something hanging on the wall, or the salesman brings you something "different" to try it... and you try thinking "this isn`t what I came for"... and then a CLICK! and you know that THAT`S THE GUITAR. Simple as that.

Get a used Core Starla and have the best of all worlds...

I have a Gretsch Chet Atkins and several PRS, and I wouldn't part with either. To pick just one, I would probably either get a 594, one of the recent CU24 wood library builds I've seen with 58/15lt pickups (this would get you a trem you can actually use, unlike a Bigsby), or as Whitecat suggested, a Starla. As awesome as my Gretsch is, it's not terribly versatile.

Sounds like with the music you like - PRS. Gretsch is cool but I would find it very much a niche gtr. As said above a Starla might be the best of both and are very reasonably priced relatively.

With all that said, for me my CU24 can do it ALL!! If I could only have one it would be that.

I own 2 Starla's and I bought a Gretsch Setzer Hotrod not so long ago. Taking into consideration the musical taste you describe I would take the Starla. The Gretsch is great but the Starla is more versatile (unless you're into ChetAtkins style fingerpicking ), and will handle high volumes better.

Two completely different guitars. If you aren't going to play a whole lot of Rockabilly, then go with the PRS due to it being more versatile.

You didn't say which Gretch or which PRS you are looking at.
As cool as a Gretch might be I would pick a PRS first if I was only getting one.
I have a Core Starla and it rocks if you are looking for the Bigbsy I did add locking tuners and have Lollar Imperials in it also :)

I would agree with everyone else. If your leaning were more in the Rockabilly genre, then I would say Gretsch (assuming big body). Otherwise, the PRS covers your bases quite well! Good luck!

Depends on the models you are looking at. I like the sound of Gretsch guitars. But for everyday playing would probably grab the PRS. Now, it obviously depends on the individual guitar. A Starla or Mira might work. With what you have stated, I'd look for a non maple top PRS, for a meatier tone from the pickups.

Now, if the GC has a great deal on a Gretsch Jet of some sort, that might be a different matter. Those can be versatile guitars, IMO.

Good luck in your search.

Which guitar speaks to you...inspires you? That's what the blues needs, inspiration. That's a personal choice and good guitars come from both brands. Granted, you've come to the PRS factory forums to get an opinion, so you're bound to get some bias. But if it were me, I'd give GC my credit card, take the two home, play them for a week then return one. Demo'ing a guitar at GC is like test driving a Porsche in the show room - a waste of time. Good luck!

Which guitar speaks to you...inspires you? That's what the blues needs, inspiration. That's a personal choice and good guitars come from both brands. Granted, you've come to the PRS factory forums to get an opinion, so you're bound to get some bias. But if it were me, I'd give GC my credit card, take the two home, play them for a week then return one. Demo'ing a guitar at GC is like test driving a Porsche in the show room - a waste of time. Good luck!

This is the best advice.

The answer is blindingly obvious; list all of the Gretsch-playing blues or punk rock players you can think of.

Hint: you might be looking for a long time.

For alt-rock, anything goes.

Back