I’m so ready for summer

It was the best of times. It was the worst of times. Spring that is. Great cycling weather. But in the winter we all have our windows shut. In the summer we all have our windows shut and AC on. In the winter and summer I can and do play loud and badly secure in the hope that the trauma inflicted on neighbors is minimal. But in the springtime there are no barriers between my sonic atrocities and my neighbors’ ears. So yes, I’m ready for summer as a guitar player; not so much as a cyclist.

Drove to Home Depot for some tomato seedlings, bought the wrong kind because the seedlings were mislabeled, their trays marked as something else. Tomatoes will be a surprise this year, I guess. Planted my garden frame with tomatoes, scallions, and several mounds of cucumbers.

Took a shower, sat down with a beer and a dish of pistachios, and some dried fruit; halfheartedly tried watching TV (nothing worthwhile on).

Called it an evening. (Did I mention TV had absolutely nothing worthwhile watching this evening? I had better luck munching on the pistachios.)

I highly recommend the salt and pepper pistachios. Not always easy to find. Not the ones with the himalyiian salt but ones called wonderful pistachios. You will be happy that you got these I promise.

I highly recommend the salt and pepper pistachios. Not always easy to find. Not the ones with the himalyiian salt but ones called wonderful pistachios. You will be happy that you got these I promise.

I think our local grocer has these. I usually like the standard lightly sea-salted ones, or similar generic substitutes. <sigh>...it's usually the ones that are on sale, or family has coupons for...:oops:o_O

Man...I'm NOT looking forward to it at all.

Down here in Gods armpit; also known as the "Deep South" ; I'm holding on to spring for dear life!! In just a few short weeks, we'll be in full- on welcome to the 7th level of hell mode. :(

On a brighter note...I just got some killer Reef flip-flops...so there is that.

Man...I'm NOT looking forward to it at all.

Down here in Gods armpit; also known as the "Deep South" ; I'm holding on to spring for dear life!! In just a few short weeks, we'll be in full- on welcome to the 7th level of hell mode. :(

On a brighter note...I just got some killer Reef flip-flops...so there is that.

With summer in mind, please forgive the following because it is blasphemy for all budding PRS lovers everywhere...

Using what savings I salvaged from our recent stimulus checks, I ordered a new A/C wall unit for my apartment. According to apartment management, the A/C units are not owned by apartment management, and were handed down to new residents when old residents left or passed on. The old A/C unit is at least 8 to 10 years old, is noisy as all bejeebus, keeps things cool (the bonus), but is not energy efficient and costs a boatload of electricity to run during the summer.

Fast-forward to last week...I had researched a local appliance store that is well-established on our valley region. They had both a 10K BTU and 12K BTU units for sale that will fit my wall sleeve, but both models are on backorder until early June...so they say. Good news is, elsewhere similar model units are priced $300 more than the local appliance shop, and the appliance retailer said I did the right thing ordering now; they can lock in a the lower price and install it, and dispose of the old unit for $40 extra.

All told, I think I can save about $435 if I'm patient enough to wait for the backordered units to arrive at the local shop. Otherwise, I'd pay the extra $300 plus tax, plus installation, plus disposal fee.

I will say that I was happy that the stimulus checks helped finance several extra things I'd not normally be able to afford, and have slowly but surely been saving towards this wall A/C unit that will be something I can claim as my own that management won't need to maintain. I think I might spring for an extended service contract in case of any unforeseen issues that might crop up within the first several years of ownership.

Meanwhile, Wednesday is it supposed to be in the mid to upper 80's locally. Time to muck out the backyard grill and put some sizzle on. If the weather holds out, pics promised.

Back