How to stop noodling on guitar?

My sig says it all on my belief in the part of music in our lives. That being said, I never felt like we simply have the ability to express it freely. That is, until we learn how to express it freely. I can't speak from your shoes but can offer insight into mine. When I felt like my playing had gotten to its limits, I endeavored to learn the fretboard (It sounds obvious I know) because a ton of guitar players honestly don't know it up and down. It's easier than you think and once you know it, the scales make sense. You understand the language they speak in a sense. Once you understand that, you have the free ability to express yourself on them strings.
I love the previous posts also, it's important to be yourself on the guitar. I've always been thoroughly impressed with how many players put their own style on music. It's just amazing. Remember little brother, if you don't express yourself on that riff machine, no one else will. You have an obligation!

So, noodling it's like just playing random nots that can't sound good. And I have this problem. I learn scales, a bit of arpeggios, lick. Try to play them on backing track, but I can't imagine different phrases and melodic lines in my head. I can just play licks that I learned and a lof of noodling:( How can fix it? I'll be appreciate your answer cause I really frustrated with this question
I have this problem. I always think it's because I have an analytic mind vs a creative one. But I really don't think that's it because I figure a lot of analysis happens in real-time when you're being musically creative.

So basically I think that what I'm saying is that I have no useful information to share in the topic and I hit reply anyway.

Imho, Ya gotta focus on phrasing, dynamics, attack, melody, play with intent, (which is the Opposite of noodling), give space between lines
.oh yes, and Tone.. And try to develop your own playing style. No small feat, but certainly worth the effort.
And stop noodling! It’s a real bad pointless habit
here’s a list of a few guitarists and others that do all this extremely well in no particular order
Duane Allman
Dickey Betts
Warren Haynes
Jeff Beck :eek:
Jimmy Herring
David Grissom
Tommy Emmanuel
Joe Zawanaul
Wayne Shorter
Miles Davis
Is that all?

You make it sound so e.... Oh wait, no you don't.

My sig says it all on my belief in the part of music in our lives. That being said, I never felt like we simply have the ability to express it freely. That is, until we learn how to express it freely. I can't speak from your shoes but can offer insight into mine. When I felt like my playing had gotten to its limits, I endeavored to learn the fretboard (It sounds obvious I know) because a ton of guitar players honestly don't know it up and down. It's easier than you think and once you know it, the scales make sense. You understand the language they speak in a sense. Once you understand that, you have the free ability to express yourself on them strings.
I love the previous posts also, it's important to be yourself on the guitar. I've always been thoroughly impressed with how many players put their own style on music. It's just amazing. Remember little brother, if you don't express yourself on that riff machine, no one else will. You have an obligation!
It's funny, because the fretboard is a finite number of discrete notes (discounting the fact that the strings can and do make it everything in between), but something in our heads (well, my head - I can't speak for everyone) makes it seem like so much more than it is. After a few years of playing, I haven't mastered the fretboard, and I think it's only because of this daunting and complex image I've painted of it in my head, not because of real complexity.

On the other hand, I spent a few years "learning" piano where the scales are laid out literally in black in white in front of you, and I kind of suck at that - I didn't practice enough to not suck, TBH. But for some reason unknown to me, I find the guitar more intuitive. However, I'm still way better at buying guitars than playing them.

On the guitar, each fret is a single note. They're even in order for us on any given string no matter what it's tuned to, so it should be easy to master the fretboard, right?

I struggle with this internally. The reason I think I failed at piano isn't just the lack of practice, but maybe because playing it is like playing both rhythm and lead at the same time - one with each hand, whereas guitar is either or - with notable exceptions like Eric Johnson, Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Wes Montgomery, Steve Vai, etc. My point is you don't have to be able to play both parts.

Let's see, where am I going with this? I don't remember.

i think I was just saying that mastering the fretboard shouldn't be difficult and that we (or maybe just I) make it more difficult by holding onto the impressions we had when we first looked at a guitar - all those strings, all those pieces of fret wire, how hard those guys must be pushing down to create a note (that might actually be from playing on my $50 first guitar where no amount of pressing rang out a clean note).

So while it's a game of muscle memory, I think it's at least equal part a mental game that I've yet to truly overcome.

Looking at the thread topic, maybe that's where I was going with this, maybe not. I'm not sure.

@mhannigan Great post man. I'm sure a ton of people feel the same way. I know I did. I used what they called the "L" method to learn the board. Which took minimized what I had to memorize. So, finding a good method of study is probably the best solution... and there are many.

And stop noodling! It’s a real bad pointless habit

I completely disagree. For me, it's "practice." Working out fingering, practicing patterns or riffs... is noodling, but it's also "practicing," "warming up," "loosening up," "working things out" etc. Noodling is not all just aimless and pointless notes. I read this last night and was going to take my phone and video me "noodling," but was tired and didn't last long (elliptical again). Maybe tonight.

I always noodle to warm up the strings, get the fingers limber, etc. Usually 3-5 minutes at the beginning of a session. My favorite noodling though is what I call "8 Growls". What that amounts to is, I go through the 8 "scenes" in my "preset" on the Axe FXIII. for those unfamiliar with this amp modeler, a preset is a collection of pedals/amps/cabs, and then each scene is set to turn some of them on, some off, some with different settings, etc. My kitchen sink preset scenes are Growl Wah, Growl Rotary, Growl Synth, Growl Clean, Growl Heavy Wah (I obviously love wah, wahtever! that would be a great name for a wah pedal), Growl Lead, Growl OD and Growl Delay. I will play 60 seconds or so of each scene and then footswitch to the next scene. Some scenes I play rhythm noodling, some scenes I play lead noodling! Regardless of the flavor, I love doing it because it is different every time and switching between the scenes pushes me to play something different. It also helps me get used to the timing of hitting the footswitches which is big for me considering prior to 2022, I had never used a footswitch for anything guitar related ;~)) My tap dancing it getting pretty dialed in if I do say so myself and the noodling helped me in getting where I am at on that and other topics.

Executive summary: Noodling has it's places and can help you in your paces! Noodle ON!!

The thing that helped me both expand my noodling and make it more interesting was taking lessons. I love West Coast Blues/Jump Blues & Swing but I don’t or didn’t play in that genre at all, way more classic rock/blues rock oriented. Taking lessons from a good friend (Tommy Harkenrider) really opened up the fretboard for me and changed my approach from only doing single note runs and scales to more of a chord based approach.

Here’s one of the best Kid Ramos mixing it up with chord melody and single note runs

find someone else to play with.
Excellent idea. That’s exactly what I did and then I joined my first band but got kicked out. But that was my first taste of my addiction. That just spurred me on to keep playing. I found another band to join and practiced my a$$ off. I haven’t looked back. Being in a band is the best experience especially when you play with better players then what you are. You can learn so much.

I can remember when I got my first guitar and tried to play Back in Black. I sounded like a wounded animal but that didn’t stop me and here I am playing stuff I never even dreamed of playing. This has been the greatest journey of my life!

Last edited:
Excellent idea. That’s exactly what I did and then I joined my first band but got kicked out. But that was my first taste of my addiction. That just spurred me on to keep playing. I found another band to join and practiced my a$$ off. I haven’t looked back. Being in a band is the best experience especially when you play with better players then what you are. You can learn so much.

I can remember when I got my first guitar and tried to play Back in Black. I sounded like a wounded animal but that didn’t stop me and here I am playing stuff I never even dreamed of playing. This has been the greatest journey of my life!
you say all this but have you tried chili on spaghetti yet?

If I find myself in a rut, I try to focus on a particular artist and play - note for note- a couple of tunes. Picking something that's out of your comfort zone will stretch you to play new modes, in new keys and styles- versus defaulting to pentatonic blues riffs all the time. Or record a new chord progression and try to riff over it. break up your timing too- play in 7/4, 3/4 etc.

I used noodling to compose songs. That's exactly the place I always started working. From noodling, I would come up with riffs I like, then work those into a completed song structure. I would kind of do the same thing when it came time to write lyrics, playing the music on guitar and singing nonsense phrases over the song until words that fit the structure and rhythm start to pop out.

When I "noodle"
So, noodling it's like just playing random nots that can't sound good. And I have this problem. I learn scales, a bit of arpeggios, lick. Try to play them on backing track, but I can't imagine different phrases and melodic lines in my head. I can just play licks that I learned and a lof of noodling:( How can fix it? I'll be appreciate your answer cause I really frustrated with this question

When I noodle, I know how the phrasing is going to come out BECAUSE of what's in my head. I've played most of my patterns long enough that I can pretty much sing along with my leads (and because of it, sometimes I do get stuck in a rut). Maybe you should try to sing them in your head first, and then try to duplicate the pattern on your fret board.

Last edited:
Keep trying to find "your way". I had a helluva time with it myself. Now I find that almost everything I play has my own flavor. It may not always be good or what someone else would do or like, but it's mine. What ever you figure out, record it and then listen to it! Even if it's only on your smart phone. I can pretty much guarantee your first results will generate a "WTF!" but keep going.
You'll probably find something within yourself that unlocks a door.

Back