How Do U Feel Re Others Playing Your PRS

It's easy to tell them to just be careful, it's a $3K guitar. They usually pay pretty close attention after that.

I've had a few guys ask if they can play through my rig at gigs. Most of the time I let them but only after I size them up first.

If you've had a few too many then absolutely no way or if you come across as a first class assbag, nope.

I did have a guy I knew get on stage, grab my cu24 and air guitar the thing. He was drunk as hell and I was instantly pissed.

I grabbed it out of his hands and while I was putting it back in the stand his friends got him out of there quick. That was smart on their part.

I've had a few guys ask if they can play through my rig at gigs. Most of the time I let them but only after I size them up first.

If you've had a few too many then absolutely no way or if you come across as a first class assbag, nope.

I did have a guy I knew get on stage, grab my cu24 and air guitar the thing. He was drunk as hell and I was instantly pissed.

I grabbed it out of his hands and while I was putting it back in the stand his friends got him out of there quick. That was smart on their part.

You never know what your audience will do. Good to hear your guitar wasn't damaged and the dude didn't cause additional problems.

I normally wont let a stranger play my guitars; not even the cheap ones.

20 years ago I was part of the 'house band' for jam nights at a pub. I loaned my Jackson Soloist to a guy who was an experienced player. The first thing he did was reach for the tuners and start to turn the E one.

Now,
1/ the guitar was already perfectly in tune.
2/ using the tuner could only result in trouble because the strings were locked at the nut (Floyd Rose system).

I stopped him PDQ. You cant anticipate what some people will do.

I don't have many guitar player friends. The only one who plays is the guy that helped me get most of my collection - he was the GC manager that hooked up me up with "inside" deals and information to score some KILLER guitars and KILLER prices. He gets to play everything. He ALWAYS drop tunes everything - which annoys me - but overall he takes care of my guitars, knowing that I paid a lot for them. It's funny, he has some favorites too. He'll come over and ask to play specific ones. Often, in the buying phase, when a guitar would arrive at the GC, I'd have him play it so I could hear it and decide if I liked the sound.

Now, at gigs, open jams, etc. - NOPE, nobody plays my guitars...or my rig for that matter. I had too many careless "accidents" with guitars in the past. I had a guy drop a $6K CS Jackson Soloist and break the headstock from the tip through the G tuner hole. I was FURIOUS. He was a "name" player, too. It was a sad day.

I have been called a douche by guys that do shows with us because they can't play my guitar. I have a hard time letting somebody who's entire rig cost as much as the pickups and bridge in your guitar. Am I a douche - yeah, probably so - but when a pretty big name guitarist drops and breaks your guitar, what damage could Pawn Shop Joe do?

I don't have many guitar player friends. The only one who plays is the guy that helped me get most of my collection - he was the GC manager that hooked up me up with "inside" deals and information to score some KILLER guitars and KILLER prices. He gets to play everything. He ALWAYS drop tunes everything - which annoys me - but overall he takes care of my guitars, knowing that I paid a lot for them. It's funny, he has some favorites too. He'll come over and ask to play specific ones. Often, in the buying phase, when a guitar would arrive at the GC, I'd have him play it so I could hear it and decide if I liked the sound.

Now, at gigs, open jams, etc. - NOPE, nobody plays my guitars...or my rig for that matter. I had too many careless "accidents" with guitars in the past. I had a guy drop a $6K CS Jackson Soloist and break the headstock from the tip through the G tuner hole. I was FURIOUS. He was a "name" player, too. It was a sad day.

I have been called a douche by guys that do shows with us because they can't play my guitar. I have a hard time letting somebody who's entire rig cost as much as the pickups and bridge in your guitar. Am I a douche - yeah, probably so - but when a pretty big name guitarist drops and breaks your guitar, what damage could Pawn Shop Joe do?

Surely the guy who dropped it offered to pay for it. ?

I enjoy letting my friends play my guitars , its cool to hear what they sound like in other folks hands.
as far as a stranger at a gig in a bar , not going to happen , I would never thing to ask someone in a band to play there guitar.

Surely the guy who dropped it offered to pay for it. ?

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Nope. In fact, they parked for the gig in a "No Parking" zone and their vehicle got towed. My guitar was broken, and since we were the only other act on the bill with management, their people were more about us helping them out in locating their vehicle. It was a cluster!!! Our manager took their road manager (once their vehicle was located) to get them on the way because they were running behind for the next date on their tour.

Ironically, two years later we opened for that band again. I played this Custom Hamer USA Diablo:

The dude asked if he could "check it out". I laughed and said "NOOOOO!!!"

He called me a d**k. My bassist barked back, "Dude, you broke his Jackson last time you were here!!!"

The dude's response??? "OH!!!! Yeah, I remember that. Sucked for you, huh? Glad I get my stuff for free!!!"

I wanted to punch him. The saddest part???? This is a player I GREATLY admired when I was younger. One who GREATLY shaped my style. It was heart-breaking to me.

The SUCKIEST part???? The NEXT time they rolled through we were asked to open for them AGAIN!!! Their manager liked us - a lot. Our management liked us playing with them because it made for a good bill. We did the show, but the guitarist and I had no contact.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Nope. In fact, they parked for the gig in a "No Parking" zone and their vehicle got towed. My guitar was broken, and since we were the only other act on the bill with management, their people were more about us helping them out in locating their vehicle. It was a cluster!!! Our manager took their road manager (once their vehicle was located) to get them on the way because they were running behind for the next date on their tour.

Ironically, two years later we opened for that band again. I played this Custom Hamer USA Diablo:

The dude asked if he could "check it out". I laughed and said "NOOOOO!!!"

He called me a d**k. My bassist barked back, "Dude, you broke his Jackson last time you were here!!!"

The dude's response??? "OH!!!! Yeah, I remember that. Sucked for you, huh? Glad I get my stuff for free!!!"

I wanted to punch him. The saddest part???? This is a player I GREATLY admired when I was younger. One who GREATLY shaped my style. It was heart-breaking to me.

The SUCKIEST part???? The NEXT time they rolled through we were asked to open for them AGAIN!!! Their manager liked us - a lot. Our management liked us playing with them because it made for a good bill. We did the show, but the guitarist and I had no contact.

This is where I avoid saying it's nice to share...:eek::oops::D

Bar-going guitarists in my neck of the woods wouldn’t know a Private Stock from an SE, generally. Every one of my guitars, with minor exception, have some form of war wounds, so it’s not about that. The average drunk dumb-a$$ that asks to check out your rig is more likely to trip getting on stage on cables, but just in case the answer is always no. The cool ones have struck up a conversation, asked insightful questions, resulting in being handed a guitar. I carry my DGT and CU24 in SE gig bags so I do like to sandbag some.

Back