How Do U Feel Re Others Playing Your PRS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rockmark, Feb 23, 2019.

1. 11top

11top Cousin Eddie's cousin

Oh boy......here we go again. :rolleyes:

Boogie, alantig, LSchefman and 2 others like this.
  2. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

They're meant to be played, play 'em. Of course, I only have trusted friends!

3. AP515

AP515 Mostly Normal

It's easy to tell them to just be careful, it's a $3K guitar. They usually pay pretty close attention after that.

bodia and LSchefman like this.
  4. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

5. gush

gush I'm not a new member!!!!

I've had a few guys ask if they can play through my rig at gigs. Most of the time I let them but only after I size them up first.

If you've had a few too many then absolutely no way or if you come across as a first class assbag, nope.

I did have a guy I knew get on stage, grab my cu24 and air guitar the thing. He was drunk as hell and I was instantly pissed.

I grabbed it out of his hands and while I was putting it back in the stand his friends got him out of there quick. That was smart on their part.

bodia likes this.
  6. CandidPicker

CandidPicker Feed & Seed

You never know what your audience will do. Good to hear your guitar wasn't damaged and the dude didn't cause additional problems.

7. WA Paul

WA Paul It’s ok...I’m with Manny dog

I let Paul play my C24 Exp Ltd through his HXDA during one of his clinics. Figured I could trust him :D

T-Rex, veinbuster, LSchefman and 4 others like this.
  8. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

You mean he didn’t fly it to someone else?!;)

9. Rockmark

Rockmark New Member

It was a good day. If you notice the Golden Eagle guitar beside Howard, I went home w it that day.:eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#29 Rockmark, Feb 24, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  10. WA Paul

WA Paul It’s ok...I’m with Manny dog

Yeah, that Paul guy is pretty good at selling these guitars. I went home with a McManus the day he played my C24 :)

bodia and Alnus Rubra like this.
  11. merciful-evans

merciful-evans Portsmouth uk

I normally wont let a stranger play my guitars; not even the cheap ones.

20 years ago I was part of the 'house band' for jam nights at a pub. I loaned my Jackson Soloist to a guy who was an experienced player. The first thing he did was reach for the tuners and start to turn the E one.

Now,
    1/ the guitar was already perfectly in tune.
    2/ using the tuner could only result in trouble because the strings were locked at the nut (Floyd Rose system).

I stopped him PDQ. You cant anticipate what some people will do.

markd21 and gush like this.
  12. Rusty Chos

Rusty Chos Don’t mean a thang if it don’t twang

My Telecaster is a registered assault weapon. If they blow their dang head off, or lose fingers, too bad.

bodia and AP515 like this.
  13. Tucson Thump

Tucson Thump Mint Heavy Relic

After seeing what my son did to a mint 1982 ES-335 Dot reissue I gave him I confess to becoming more particular. I have a 74 Strat that was hacked before I bought it that I use as a "tester".

markd21 and bodia like this.
  14. markd21

markd21 New Member

I don't have many guitar player friends. The only one who plays is the guy that helped me get most of my collection - he was the GC manager that hooked up me up with "inside" deals and information to score some KILLER guitars and KILLER prices. He gets to play everything. He ALWAYS drop tunes everything - which annoys me - but overall he takes care of my guitars, knowing that I paid a lot for them. It's funny, he has some favorites too. He'll come over and ask to play specific ones. Often, in the buying phase, when a guitar would arrive at the GC, I'd have him play it so I could hear it and decide if I liked the sound.

Now, at gigs, open jams, etc. - NOPE, nobody plays my guitars...or my rig for that matter. I had too many careless "accidents" with guitars in the past. I had a guy drop a $6K CS Jackson Soloist and break the headstock from the tip through the G tuner hole. I was FURIOUS. He was a "name" player, too. It was a sad day.

I have been called a douche by guys that do shows with us because they can't play my guitar. I have a hard time letting somebody who's entire rig cost as much as the pickups and bridge in your guitar. Am I a douche - yeah, probably so - but when a pretty big name guitarist drops and breaks your guitar, what damage could Pawn Shop Joe do?

15. 11top

11top Cousin Eddie's cousin

Surely the guy who dropped it offered to pay for it. ?

markd21 likes this.
  16. Rider1260

Rider1260 New Member

I enjoy letting my friends play my guitars , its cool to hear what they sound like in other folks hands.
    as far as a stranger at a gig in a bar , not going to happen , I would never thing to ask someone in a band to play there guitar.

markd21 likes this.
  17. markd21

markd21 New Member

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Nope. In fact, they parked for the gig in a "No Parking" zone and their vehicle got towed. My guitar was broken, and since we were the only other act on the bill with management, their people were more about us helping them out in locating their vehicle. It was a cluster!!! Our manager took their road manager (once their vehicle was located) to get them on the way because they were running behind for the next date on their tour.

Ironically, two years later we opened for that band again. I played this Custom Hamer USA Diablo:

[​IMG]

The dude asked if he could "check it out". I laughed and said "NOOOOO!!!"

He called me a d**k. My bassist barked back, "Dude, you broke his Jackson last time you were here!!!"

The dude's response??? "OH!!!! Yeah, I remember that. Sucked for you, huh? Glad I get my stuff for free!!!"

I wanted to punch him. The saddest part???? This is a player I GREATLY admired when I was younger. One who GREATLY shaped my style. It was heart-breaking to me.

The SUCKIEST part???? The NEXT time they rolled through we were asked to open for them AGAIN!!! Their manager liked us - a lot. Our management liked us playing with them because it made for a good bill. We did the show, but the guitarist and I had no contact.

veinbuster, bodia and Rusty Chos like this.
  18. CandidPicker

CandidPicker Feed & Seed

This is where I avoid saying it's nice to share...:eek::oops::D

19. markd21

markd21 New Member

Oh, I neglected to mention that Jackson repaired/refinished the guitar and it was good as new. It just took 9 months to get back.

11top likes this.
  20. Boogie

Boogie SuperD

Bar-going guitarists in my neck of the woods wouldn’t know a Private Stock from an SE, generally. Every one of my guitars, with minor exception, have some form of war wounds, so it’s not about that. The average drunk dumb-a$$ that asks to check out your rig is more likely to trip getting on stage on cables, but just in case the answer is always no. The cool ones have struck up a conversation, asked insightful questions, resulting in being handed a guitar. I carry my DGT and CU24 in SE gig bags so I do like to sandbag some.

gush and Rusty Chos like this.