How Do U Feel Re Others Playing Your PRS

Rockmark

Just wondering how others handle the topic. My ME1 always goes w me. I have associate guitarists I play w that partake in different refreshments. I listened to my bass player's guit hit the floor last week after his strap released from his bottom pin. I judge on an observation and knowledge of the individuals as far as if I want them handling my instruments. Some are close enough that neither one of us cares if he calls me an ass for a "no you were too drunk last night" reason I give for coddling my babies. Most players here have not held and usually not seen a PRS live especially an ME1 so of course some ask to play her. I let some and others I tell I prefer not. I mostly say that any accidents can happen and don't wan't anyone to feel bad. If they think I'm an ass for it so be it. Then again they are usually slinging Ibanez, strats etc. They have no clue they are asking to play a guitar over 6K. Do a lot of folks here share your PRS's?

I'm not much of a gigger these days, so my Wood Library CU24 stays home. I do play my Reclaimed CE24 out, and have defn let band mates try it.

For the time I gigged with some of my PS guitars, no one asked if they could play through my guitars. I think they realized how dangerous it would have been had they caused any damage to such an expensive instrument, so they just didn't ask.

I'd easily compare this to letting someone else borrow your Lamborghini. 'Um, and you wanted to do this, why, again...?"

I think I'd feel slightly less worried if the guitar were not as expensive as a PS, but still high end. Though would need to put them through a quick inspection so they'd pass muster. I'd likely size them up quickly and see if they were wearing a belt buckle, metal jean rivets, metal button snaps, etc.

An old road-worn or obviously dinged, dented, belt-rash guitar I'd have no problem with, unless it were something valuable someone might walk away with while my back was turned...a '61 Strat, for example...

Last edited:
I want to spread the PRS disease, so share it/them fairly freely.

The last thing I want is for a guitar to own ME.

I don’t cast my L5 Gibson before swine. Then again, I don’t hang out with swine.

Also don’t use my L5 in rough bar&grills...

As long as there isn't a belt buckle and they know to be careful I'm OK.

On the other side of it, I played ALL of MA Pete's zillion guitars many of which were PS and he never gave me a hard time. That is until he got his PS 594 - his "The One" and then I got special instructions.

I don’t cast my L5 Gibson before swine. Then again, I don’t hang out with swine.

I admire your view of not letting the guitar own you.

I still might have a problem letting someone use an expensive guitar on stage, though might not feel as anxious in a supervised place such as if I brought my guitar in to test out an effect or amp, and someone asked to try the guitar.

That way, I might feel more at ease than watching a guy on stage spill beer on my guitar, or put a lit cigarette in the headstock strings...

My lead player has many many hours on whatever PRS I bring. He is especially fond of the Silver Sky.
My bass player plays guitar as well and I offer him to play whatever I have on hand.
I've let a guy who called me a PRS snob play my Mira.
I'm happy to let anyone play them, unless of course they are not "all the way there".
It's much fun to see the look on someone's face after they've played a guitar of this caliber.:)

If it’s a good friend of mine or likewise, they can play any of my PRS guitars. You definitely have to check for belts , watches and stuff like that though. I did put insurance on my guitars a few years ago... cheap. It’s like $70 a year for 3 PRS guitars. Aaahhh...piece of mind.

If it’s a good friend of mine or likewise, they can play any of my PRS guitars. You definitely have to check for belts , watches and stuff like that though. I did put insurance on my guitars a few years ago... cheap. It’s like $70 a year for 3 PRS guitars. Aaahhh...piece of mind.

Does it cover buckle rash, junk food fingers, pig sweat, and unscheduled amateur sobriety tests?

:)

Does it cover buckle rash, junk food fingers, pig sweat, and unscheduled amateur sobriety tests?

:)
Lol... I know, right. My nephew was over during xmas and was playing my McCarty and the next day I picked it up to play it and damn...pizza hands or what! I had to give a good cleaning to it. Yuck!

Even though I have the insurance, the Sunburst 22 I have is irreplaceable to me...that would suck if something happened to that one. Pizza grease and that kinda stuff...I don’t know how anyone does that. I’ve seen band mates eat chicken wings and then pick up their guitar.

I like sharing/show'n'tell, but I do try to be careful about what I take where and those of mine that I particularly covet don't go out much. I'd probably share pretty freely my Studio, CE, SCHB, DC 594, and maaaaybe Soapy 594. My ME and assorted quilts, probably not so much...

Huh. I never quite looked at it quite that way before, but I better trust and like you before you get to play my quilts.

I may need the name of that insurer .... this is actually a good idea that I haven't thought of.

Back