How Do U Feel Re Others Playing Your PRS

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Nope. In fact, they parked for the gig in a "No Parking" zone and their vehicle got towed. My guitar was broken, and since we were the only other act on the bill with management, their people were more about us helping them out in locating their vehicle. It was a cluster!!! Our manager took their road manager (once their vehicle was located) to get them on the way because they were running behind for the next date on their tour.

Ironically, two years later we opened for that band again. I played this Custom Hamer USA Diablo:

The dude asked if he could "check it out". I laughed and said "NOOOOO!!!"

He called me a d**k. My bassist barked back, "Dude, you broke his Jackson last time you were here!!!"

The dude's response??? "OH!!!! Yeah, I remember that. Sucked for you, huh? Glad I get my stuff for free!!!"

I wanted to punch him. The saddest part???? This is a player I GREATLY admired when I was younger. One who GREATLY shaped my style. It was heart-breaking to me.

The SUCKIEST part???? The NEXT time they rolled through we were asked to open for them AGAIN!!! Their manager liked us - a lot. Our management liked us playing with them because it made for a good bill. We did the show, but the guitarist and I had no contact.

I certainly wouldn’t hesitate to tell the world who he is. Guys like that need to be called out.

I certainly wouldn’t hesitate to tell the world who he is. Guys like that need to be called out.

I'd love to, but I believe in "burn no bridges". Local players KNOW who he is. Dean Guitars is local now, and he's a Dean player. He's notorious for getting wasted and being a bit of a D-bag. I haven't done a show with the guy since 2016, and it will stay that way. When they come through here now, local support is usually provided by a band that is endorsed by Armadillo Enterprises. There have been no more stories of this guy breaking other guys' guitars!!

I'd love to, but I believe in "burn no bridges". Local players KNOW who he is. Dean Guitars is local now, and he's a Dean player. He's notorious for getting wasted and being a bit of a D-bag. I haven't done a show with the guy since 2016, and it will stay that way. When they come through here now, local support is usually provided by a band that is endorsed by Armadillo Enterprises. There have been no more stories of this guy breaking other guys' guitars!!
Wow... narcissistic D-bag big time!

I enjoy letting my friends play my guitars , its cool to hear what they sound like in other folks hands.
as far as a stranger at a gig in a bar , not going to happen , I would never thing to ask someone in a band to play there guitar.
I'm the same way but there was this time wife and I were partying. We went to this club that had a live country band. Not really into country but the band was good and the guitar player had a Brent Mason and that f***** sounded GOOD.

I talked to him on break and ALMOST asked to play it but thought better of it.

Friday night a female/singer guitarists that I had not played w came to rehearsal. She sang well, played good and we were in sinc right away. I could tell she was sober and plays professionally so after a couple hours I actually asked her if she wanted to play my ME1 and rig. She loved it, knew how to act and freed me up for some amplified harp. In fact I liked what she was doing. My regular guitar buddy who is always half soused said "how come you let her play it and not me". I said, first off you have played my PRS's and just don't remember and second she is sober and you're wasted. No response from him.

What even gives someone the idea that you’re obligated to hand them your personal item to try out?

“Hey man, cool suit. Can I try it on right now?”

“No.”

“Then how about your shoes?”

“No!”

“Underpants?”

“No.”

“You’re such a selfish douche bag! Hey, I’ve always wanted to try out a house like yours; mind if I move into your house and see if I like it?”

What even gives someone the idea that you’re obligated to hand them your personal item to try out?

“Hey man, cool suit. Can I try it on right now?”

“No.”

“Then how about your shoes?”

“No!”

“Underpants?”

“No.”

“You’re such a selfish douche bag! Hey, I’ve always wanted to try out a house like yours; mind if I move into your house and see if I like it?”

Sometimes when you lend something out, you might expect to receive it back in the same condition it was lent out. This is not always the case. Sometimes when you post something on the internet, it becomes public domain, and one should expect your contribution to be used wisely. This also is not always the case.

Last edited:
I hardly ever go out now, but if I did, it wouldn't be to let people take turns on my instruments. There is no way on earth that you can get people to understand the value to you, the price you paid, when they didn't do it themselves. If it's dropped or dinged a simple "sorry" isn't going to cut it, yet I may have allowed it and that puts the onus on me. Better yet. Don't ask, and I won't have to say no. I've actually been guilty of dinging a mans instrument. I should have known better and the cost to repair it was dear to me at the time, but he was a friend and I wasn't going to ignore what I did. We remained friends and still are. That in itself taught me to maybe just not allow it regardless of how it's interpreted by the person being told no.

Last edited:
If anybody comes over my place and even looks at my PRSi with a wanting desirous gaze I'll ...

sf08Qs6.gif

Not a guitar, but several years ago I lent the trumpet player from the band I had recently left, my wireless AKG goose-neck mic.

About 6 months later, I made several attempts to get my property back. The guy seemed to be avoiding me! Eventually I managed to find out that he had broken the goose-neck! Not from him, but from another member of my old band.

I made contact with him and he refused to speak with me, but his father asked me to go to their house to sort the matter out.

I did as he asked a few days later. When I arrived, he told me that I had given his son the mic damaged and that as “good will” gesture that he would give me a cheap “Radio Shack” tie clip mix and they would keep my AKG system. Also I had to sign a “home PC” printed document stating I would not pursue his son for any further recompense!

I told him that I would take my property back and I hoped that his son could live with himself for being such a big fat liar! Not in those words of course.

It taught me a valuable lesson never to trust an @rsehole with your stuff!

That was in the days when I thought all musicians were good guys/girls. Such a shame because most are.

There's a sad ballad waiting to be sung regarding your woman, your dog, your truck and your guitar all disappearing over the horizon trailing a dust cloud into the setting sun and fading raucous laughter.

Let’s not be selfish. What’s wrong with you people? C’mon!

Anyone can play my PRS if they abide by these rules:
- Strings must not contact any frets
- All you had to do was find a song that starts stays and ends with an open G, and be contented with 3 strings. So there
- You can’t insert a cable into the jack
- You need to wrap your whole body in bubblewrap. For humanitarian reasons you’re allowed to breathe through a soft straw
- Picks cannot come anywhere within 0.594” of the body
- You can only play it within the confines of a trampoline of at least 15ft by 15ft (in case the guitar drops you see). No bouncing on the trampoline. You can’t have your trampoline and bounce it too. Especially when sight hindered by aforementioned bubble wrap.
- No teeth allowed

Other than these I’ve no significant conditions.

Last edited:
Just wondering how others handle the topic.
You don't touch my wife, and you ain't drivin' my car either.
But all of my guitars are meant to be played by anyone and everyone. It's totally self-serving--I want to see what sounds YOU get out of it that I don't.

I let my buddies play my PRSi while I am around because I want to see their reactions to playing an impeccably crafted instrument with a truly remarkable tone. I am secretly hoping they will be inspired to ditch their LTDs and Schecters and hop over to PRS just as I did years ago.

Back