How do pedals work?

cboisits

Hi guys. I find it fascinating that you plug into a pedal and all these wonderful sounds come out. How does a little green circuit board create this magic? Does anyone have a resource for me to learn how they work? I'd really appreciate it. I would love to build my own pedal one day.

I build pedals. I build way too many pedals. I got rid of my fancy tube amps and am 100% pedal-based into a Quilter pedal amp. Don't start building pedals - you will never stop. There's a great Facebook group called "Guitar Pedal Builders" - a great way to learn. Here's some of my creations:

DxenNtZ.jpg

bcB4RiA.jpg

Tj3iSSX.jpg

wszFwav.jpg

AwqjaBx

I build pedals. I build way too many pedals. I got rid of my fancy tube amps and am 100% pedal-based into a Quilter pedal amp. Don't start building pedals - you will never stop. There's a great Facebook group called "Guitar Pedal Builders" - a great way to learn. Here's some of my creations:

DxenNtZ.jpg

bcB4RiA.jpg

Tj3iSSX.jpg

wszFwav.jpg

AwqjaBx
Way cool!

DxenNtZ.jpg

bcB4RiA.jpg

Tj3iSSX.jpg

wszFwav.jpg

AwqjaBx

Dude! I forgot you did this!! You should do a pedal rundown post!

I have a bunch of Wampler's stuff. I really like his drives more than anyone else's out there.
Agree. I've built his Pinnacle (hot-rodded Plexi) and Ecstacy/Euphoria (Dumble-style) and they're fantastic - so tube-like. I feel the magic is due to the transistors he designs round. The J201 JFET transistor is as close to a tube as you're going to get with discrete components. I've just completed the Wampler Tweed '57 (Bassman-style circuit) - waiting for an enclosure and knobs to be delivered, but I have it staged and tested (I mount everything first on an enclosure-sized piece of cardboard) and it also sounds fantastic.
HGf0hmb.png

Agree. I've built his Pinnacle (hot-rodded Plexi) and Ecstacy/Euphoria (Dumble-style) and they're fantastic - so tube-like. I feel the magic is due to the transistors he designs round. The J201 JFET transistor is as close to a tube as you're going to get with discrete components. I've just completed the Wampler Tweed '57 (Bassman-style circuit) - waiting for an enclosure and knobs to be delivered, but I have it staged and tested (I mount everything first on an enclosure-sized piece of cardboard) and it also sounds fantastic.
HGf0hmb.png

I have a pinnacle deluxe and two euphorias. Never got the chance to play a 57 before they were discontinued. That looks like a fun build maybe I'll have to try one eventually.

HGf0hmb.png
The demo’s I heard of the Tweed 57 sounded GREAT! I couldn’t believe he discontinued it because it seemed like it would sell like crazy.

Also, I don’t know where you’re located, but I may have some unused pedal parts to get rid of cheap. Some are even populated circuit boards. Hit me on the side if you’re interested. I have lots of stuff.

Back