NGD: A Fiore!

life_with_a_song

Hi All,

Well, it finally happened--I received my first PRS guitar today, and I think I'm falling for it!

As a little background: I work on guitars professionally, and had three different very nice American-made models come through my shop during the past year-and-a-half. I was amazed at those guitars' overall look, feel, and quality. But then when I would plug them in, I just could not find "my" tones in them that I've come to love and enjoy through the years with my current guitars. I even spent several months learning all that I could about the company, Paul's vision, and the various models themselves, but in the end, decided that they were likely just not for me.

Fast-forward to several weeks ago, when I began turning my attention to the various videos out there talking about and featuring the Fiore. All of that time spent eventually convinced me that I should give this one a try, as I'm a long-time (around 41 years, now) "Strat-style" player. Well, this beauty came in today, and although initially I found myself liking what I was feeling and hearing while playing it, a nagging little something kept working against this . . . until I found myself really coming back to it throughout the day and giving it an honest chance again and again, as I found myself beginning to not only find "my" tones in the guitar, but new interesting tones that I was not expecting!

Here are a couple of surprises that are part of the reason I'm posting here (to make sure I'm not just imagining things):

1. I have never preferred a treble bleed circuit in any guitar before this one. In fact, I've always de-soldered them out of other guitars that I've owned, and happily moved on and enjoyed them more without it, experiencing the treble bleed as retaining too much clarity and high-end as the volume is rolled back. With this Fiore however, it seems that the tone controls are so useful that removing the treble bleed circuit may remove some of what the overall (thoughtful?) circuit was designed to deliver.

2. I have a favorite set of electric strings that I tend to install on all of my electric guitars, but having spent a fair amount of time with the PRS Signatures on this one . . . I'm surprised at how much I am liking them!

Do you guys have any thoughts?

Anyone else become converts to these strings? How do they compare to the Classics?

Any experiences with the treble bleed circuit in this model?

I'm also curious about any experiences you've had with adjusting these pickups. I'm assuming they were adjusted to a certain specified height at the factory, and before I go spending a lot of time exploring this . . . is it just me or are they shipped adjusted to "the ideal" height already?

I know this is a long post, but this being my very first PRS, I'm open to all of the experience that this forum has to offer.

Thanks Guys!
Greg

Last edited:
Congrats on your NGD and welcome to the forum! I too have converted to the PRS strings. I now order and use them on all my instruments. I own several PRS core models and have always found the pickups to be adjusted perfectly right outta the box. But like all things, “season to taste”. I don’t own the Fiore so I can’t give you feedback on your other inquiry. I’m sure someone else on the board will be able to help you out.

I’ve been really impressed with the Fiore. Got mine in October last year, really liked it, then I went through a brief period where I thought I wasn’t as happy with it but that feeling passed and I grab it all the time now. It’s just such a great player. I converted every guitar I have to PRS Signatures back when I got my 2019 Silver Sky, dropping NYXL. Mainly because they felt better, stayed cleaner, lasted longer and I liked the sound. So I have PRS strings on Duesenberg, Gretsch, K-Line and PRS

First off, congrats on the new guitar! That is a model that I have looked at and liked. I already have other guitars that are very much like this model and that is what has kept me from buying one. However, if I were in the market for a new guitar, the red Fiore would probably be it.

I am not sure what type of work you do on guitars professionally. I have been working on guitars for decades. I have also worked on quite a number of PRS guitars. As you may already know, strings and pickup adjustments are a very personal thing. I have used a few sets of PRS strings that I received free for one reason or another over the years. I find them to be pretty much the same as the D'Addaro strings I have been using for a very long time. As for pickup adjustments, I find the stock action and pickup adjustments on PRS guitars to not be where I like them from the factory. I like my action just a little lower and then I adjust the pickups from there to give me what I want from them. You have nothing to lose by adjusting the pickups. Give it a try and see if you find a tone you like even more than you are hearing.

Treble bleed circuits are also a thing that some like and some don't. The value of the capacitor can make or break it for some players. I like the value that PRS uses in their guitars stock. I prefer to not have a treble bleed on something like a Strat, mostly because I like the way the tone darkens when I roll the volume back and Strats tend to be brighter sounding. Some players like the treble bleed with the resistor in line to help with the way it reacts when you roll the volume down. Others like it without. I tend to like it without.

Those hello kitty's sell for a premium nowadays ...for real!!

Aaaaaaaaaaaand... no pics yet
NeIeg0D.gif

And congrats! The Fiore is on my radar...but I have too much GAS for too many models, and not enough GAS money.

(And frankly I don't play the PRSi I already have enough...)

Yeah, a photo would be cool, because we like to see what they look like "in reality" vs the lovely studio lighting and extra buffing at PRS for the product launch.

Had you tried a Silver Sky yet? Just curious, since you say you've been an S-Type player, what you thought of that model. To me, the Silver Sky is the ultimate "classic" SSS S-Type, while the Fiore looks like a great SSH S-type, with it's own mojo that comes from some of the non-Fender interpretations.

I love my Fiore! I have my stock red one. Then a heavily modded white one which makes it not quite a Fiore any more but I had a vision which I accomplished. The sound combinations are fantastic!! I prefer my Stringjoy strings, but we all have our tastes.

Back