Taper of pots not good

mrut

I replaced the pots in my SE DGT with cts pots of the same value. I don't care for the taper. The largest change happens between 8-10. 9-10 is really noticeable. I'm not sure if it is the treble bleed network causing this or the taper of the cts pots. Any suggestions? I didn't notice this with the original Alpha pots.

The cts pots are the normal pro guitar pots with brass shaft.

I also noticed that my treble bleed has both a cap and resisitor where the PRS USA pots just come with a cap.

Pots come in various tapers, audio "A", linear "B", etc. CTS is just the brand, you have to specify the taper too.

It appears for the DGT model that it uses a 475k pot. I just ordered them from the PRS store to see if they make a difference.

You'd be amazed at the variance in pot values. It's not unusual to measure 20% variance, even on higher end pots from CTS and Bourns. 475K is considered "acceptable" for a 500K pot. It's strange they'd spec 475K pots on the DGT, unless they were specifically measuring every one before installing.

Also, if you're seeing such a rapid change in the last 10% of turn, I'd switch to Linear (B) taper for the volume pot. While Audio (A) taper is more common for volume controls, I've had a few guitars over the years that just seem to behave better with linear volume pots. It might be something to do with the treble bleed.

It seems really weird to me that they would use 475k pots but I saw this on the description:

Designed for surface-mounting, this potentiometer offers 475k ohm resistance and features
a 180pF capacitor type for better frequency handling. The 180pF capacitor acts as a high
pass filter removing shelved low-end, allowing high frequencies through for more clarity and musical highs as you roll the volume off. *Values specified for model specifically (applies to resistance values)
Compatible with PRS DGT

I wonder if the SEs use a different value. The ones I took out were stamped 500k but actually measured closer to 550k with a meter. Wonder if the imported pickups require a different value.

Core or RS guitarworks are the taper I like. I used to use RS, but have since moved to PRS core. I've used them in se, s2, core, and even a couple other makers.

The core prs 500k pots have a taper I like too. Even got one in my Strat.

I find the treble bleed affects the taper at the other end of the scale - where the volume comes on very quickly to start. Haven't noticed anything around the full up

I put in the 475k PRS pots. They sound good and have good taper. I tried disconnecting the 1meg resistor that came tied across the outside lugs and really couldn't hear any difference, so not sue I understand why they are on there.

Back