History of the PRS McCarty?

srmd22

Seems there have been a few McCarty models over the years: the original, the standard, the rosewood neck, and now the 58. I am a bit confused as to the timeline and differences. Particularly, how is the 58 different from older models, particularly tone wise? When did it become the McCarty 58? 2010? When did they go to the 57/08 pickups - when they bacame "58's"?

I am sure multiple people here know the answer to this. I unfortunately do not. So...:vroam:

This is what's listed on the PRS site http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/models.html:

McCARTY MODEL: 1994 - 2007. First 100 signed and numbered, wide-fat 22-fret neck only, East coast maple top, 1/8th of an inch thicker mahogany back, stop-tail, vintage-style tuners, covered Dragon Bass PRS humbuckers, changed to McCarty Pickups in ’95 and now includes a push/pull coil-tap on the tone control, 3-way toggle pickup selector, East Indian Rosewood Neck option added in 1998

McCARTY STANDARD: 1995 - Current. Specs similar to McCarty but with solid mahogany body. Only offered with stoptail bridge option.

McCARTY SOAPBAR: 1998 - 2007 Specs similar to the McCarty Model, but with 2 Seymour Duncan soapbar single coil pickups with 3-way toggle.

BRAZILIAN ROSEWOOD McCARTY: 1999. Limited run of 250 pieces, specs same as McCarty, but with Brazilian rosewood neck and fretboard. Each individually signed and numbered.

BRAZILIAN SERIES McCARTY: 2003. McCarty, Brazilian fretboard and headstock overlay, pink heart abalone birds and signature, the word “Brazilian” is inlayed on the face of the headstock in green abalone ripple, gold/nickel hybrid hardware configuration, 10 top only. Limited run of 500 guitars all signed and numbered.

There was also the McCarty II, which they skipped over.

The McCarty was discontinued for a little while in the late 00's.

I don't find any mention of the McCarty 58 prior to 2010. Sonically, the only factors compared to the original version seem to be the pickups and the tuners. Cosmetically there are a lot of differences, though. The originals were Plain Jane tone machines and they got fancier and prettier as time went by.

So, forgetting about the brazilian and soapbar versions, for a moment, there was the original and standard, with Dragons, and then the 58, which is the current version, with 57/08's?

Are all McCarty's now Artist tops or standards? Online, the only 58's I see are artist tops and standards. (Not even sure about the standards, I think I saw those). Is there a McCarty 58 non-Artist version?

Basically -

1994 - McCarty with 2 Dragon Bass pups then McCarty pups.
1995 - Coil Split added
1998 - Added Hollowbody, Archtop, and soapbar versions
2010 - McCarty 58 Replaces McCarty (however there are some still trickling through as late as 2011). McCarty 58 adds 57/08s, Pattern neck, binding, fancy birds, artist grade top, paisley case.

Theyve done small runs of Korinas, Rosewood necks etc on and off through the years as well, I cant begin to keep up with them.

The McCarty 58 was discontinued for 2013 MY. A shame too as its always been my fav and the guitar that really got me hooked on PRSes.

What will replace the McCarty 58 - anything? Or is thart it for the ole McCarty?

Ha your guess is as good as mine! I feel like at some point the McCarty will come back a'la CU22, SC245 etc.

At this point I'm guessing the DGT cannibalized sales of the McCartys? Just thinking out loud, but the DGT seems really popular these days (like the McCarty was in its day), and maybe the DGT is now the more "traditional" tone option versus the Customs, and without going all the way to an SC?

But I really need to try out a DGT and 408 one of these days... or maybe not! :eek:

FWIW,
Ken

I'm in two minds over this one; I wonder if PRS will resurrect the McCarty for next year's 20th anniversary but given that I can't see them using McCarty pickups or Kluson-style tuners, what would it be? It would almost certainly have 57/08s and now that phase III tuners are on practically everything, it would be little more than a Custom 22 with an extra 1/4" of mahogany and a different switching system. I'm not sure PRS would consider it's worth doing at that point.

I love the McCarty design, and with so many models in the current range tracing their heritage back to it, I think PRS should bring out a special edition for 2014, but at the same time, with so many guitars like it, it would have to be something different to make it worthwhile. And yet if it were different, would it really be a McCarty?

I don't understand why they would discontinue such a well-designed toneful model. I thought they were successful, but the only reasons I can think of to stop making them would be either they are not selling, or they are going to replace them with an updated version. Could be a simple update even, like a trem option (more easily available one then now, I mean) or just trems on all of them, or a non-artist top line, like regular Customs.

The McCarty 58 tonally won't be a ton different tone-wise, besides being a "blinged up" McCarty - it also has locking tuners instead of the old Kluson style. Now I remember people wanting locking tuners on the old McCartys, and the answer being- PRS locking tuners couldn't be put on because the headstock thickness was different. So now the last model McCarty has had locking tuners...has a different headstock thickness...does it have an affect on tone? Probably nothing you could pinpoint. Probably not more different than the differences you hear between 2 exactly identical models.

57/08's emerged in 2008 - hence the name. They 1st came on the hand signed/numbered 1957/2008 series of SC245 and McCartys and then on the ME II, I think.

I'm sure PRS will do some type of run for the anniversary. I'd guess we would see 57/08 in whatever they put out.

Great...now this thread has me missing that 1957/2008 McCarty I had:bawling:
8501196408_ca1a8b3bc6_b.jpg

I've always dug the McCarty switching system more than the current Custom's 5-way. It feels more classic to me, with the simplistic toggle. Hope they reintroduce the McCarty to the line-up, or better yet, make something like an SE Custom Stoptail/McCarty, or just any doublecut SE with a stoptail, pretty please! :laugh:

I'm definitely sad to see what happened to the McCarty from the introduction of the McCarty II onward. Most of the PRSi in my collection are based on the McCarty, like my ME I, the DGT, Hollowbody Spruce, etc. What a great legacy that model has left us.

I had the NAMM McCarty RW Soapbar 6 or 7 years back. What a fantastic instrument, as were all of the humbucker McCartys that passed through my hands (really, my hands are far too slippery, they just can't seem to hold onto guitars for very long).

I loved the McCartys in their original incarnation.

But I think the future of the model is in the DGT and the Paul's Guitar. The DGTs I've played outdo the original in terms of how they sound (for me, YMMV, etc.). I also really love the PGs.

Last edited:
I loved the McCartys in their original incarnation.

But I think the future of the model is in the DGT and the Paul's Guitar. The DGTs I've played outdo the original in terms of how they sound (for me, YMMV, etc.). I also really love the PGs.

I agree with you. I really love the way the original McCarty is, but sometimes innovation happens and these vintage-inspired things just go out of fashion for quite some time until it's reissued later on. I think Paul will eventually come up with different variations of the 408 pickups, like vintage-sounding ones, hot-fat-screaming ones etc and those will go on and become the spiritual successors in the McCarty's platform.

I love the simplicity of my 2000 McCarty, its got such a FAT tone to it. I also love the Kluson tuners and stock McCarty pickups, I've sold all my other guitars so this one is all I use these days!
index.php

Last edited:
Back