Help with PS build!

One of my all time favs!

Thanks Paul. I have gigged this one a bunch. It has a really cool macassar ebony neck that was on display as a blank at a previous Experience.

If I were building another, I’d choose one of the exotic oiled hardwoods for a neck. While I love the look of flamed maple (and have a few), I don’t like the feel as well, but again, that’s just me.

Last edited:
Back in the good ‘ol days, once they had it programmed, there was either little or no upcharge. The rules tend to change so I don’t know if that still holds true, but it seems logical.
I believe the first customer pays the up charge. My debate was they offered the thicker SC594 with trem or the thinner SCT body with an up charge for the 594 scale length. The neck carve was more important to me than the extra 0.0094” scale difference. Having a trem already changes the tone equation. Your ME SCT sealed the deal for me on what I like best. So, my build is a modified ME SCT - shorter scale, PV neck carve, add piezo. And a killer quilt top!

Thanks Paul. I have gigged this one a bunch. It has a really cool macassar ebony neck that was on display as a blank at a previous Experience.

If I were building another, I’d choose one of the exotic oiled hardwoods for a neck. While I love the look of flamed maple (and have quite a few), I just don’t like the feel as well, but again, that’s just me.
Beautiful neck! Do you find the ebony neck to be bright? I like the look of maple, but I don’t like the impact on tone. I was thinking of cocobolo for a second build, but that will be down the road quite a bit.

I believe the first customer pays the up charge. My debate was they offered the thicker SC594 with trem or the thinner SCT body with an up charge for the 594 scale length. The neck carve was more important to me than the extra 0.0094” scale difference. Having a trem already changes the tone equation. Your ME SCT sealed the deal for me on what I like best. So, my build is a modified ME SCT - shorter scale, PV neck carve, add piezo. And a killer quilt top!

Yup.

What neck and fretboard wood did you choose?

Beautiful neck! Do you find the ebony neck to be bright? I like the look of maple, but I don’t like the impact on tone. I was thinking of cocobolo for a second build, but that will be down the road quite a bit.

Hah! You beat me to it.

My burl SC pictured earlier in this thread is my favorite PRS guitar. A lot of it is due to this:

Also, the Maccasar neck does not seem to me as bright as maple.

Do both!
psf147-1000-19-jpg.6167

When I think of a cocobolo neck, I always come back to this picture! Love the sapwood on this.

Hmm....

What if you did the flame on the ‘inside’ quilt on the ‘outside’ with NL Smoke burst. The smoke burst would be a darker tone color wise which may pop more on the quilt while highlighting the curly maple part. Probably looks better in my head.

Really comes down to what effect do you like best? The bands of NL color from the curly maple or the figure of quilt but with a different color tone? Maybe they can modify the color tone for you on quilt? Most NL in quilt appear much darker than on curly maple. I’ve seen quite a variety in the blue/purple/green tones depending on how white/yellow the maple top is. Compare the SC594SH I used to have with the 20th PS Anniversary that Les has or Alan’s terrific build on quilt. All are terrific, but have different color tones despite having the same color stain.

I totally get obsessing over color and figure for the top. For my build I knew I wanted tubular style quilt in Blue, but which shade of blue out of the dozens they’ve done over the years? My family voted for OMG given the multiple shades, but I still worry it might come out darker than I want.

Go to the vault and let the wood choose for you. I find the decisions so much easier with wood in front of me than they are in the abstract.
I hope to make it there one of these days. I told my dealer what I was after and Tina had pulled several pieces that were terrific to consider, even remotely looking at iPhone pictures. My build was further complicated by my light weight requirements but they were terrific in helping me choose. Don’t be shy asking for their advice ahead of time!

Back