Help with PS build!

matt3310

Ok guys I need help. I'm having a Private stock built. Here are my specs:
SingleCut trem.
Semi hollowbody with no f holes.
Northern lights top and back, with matching neck and headstock.
Ebony fretboard.
Natural sides.
85/15 pickups.
Black pickup rings.
Lampshade knobs.
Hybrid Hardware.
Purfling on the headstock and around the fretboard.
25" scale.
Pattern regular profile.

Here is my delima. I LOVE quilt tops. But I think Northern Lights looks better on a flame top. So I am thinking of doing a flame maple top, quilt back. Thoughts?

Last edited:
SingleCut trem.
Ebony fretboard.
Natural sides.
85/15 pickups.
Black pickup rings.
Lampshade knobs.
Hybrid Hardware.
Pilfering on the headstock and around the fretboard.
25" scale.
Pattern regular profile.

Here is my delima. I LOVE quilt tops. But I think Northern Lights looks better on a flame top. So I am thinking of doing a flame maple top, quilt back. Thoughts?
For me the figured maple backs usually look out of place unless on a hollowbody. Probably especially so if it was a quilt flame mix. How about a one piece crazy crooked flame with character instead of the perfect book matched flame of most flame tops? Or maybe a quilt with a very tight tubular curl.

SingleCut trem.
Ebony fretboard.
Natural sides.
85/15 pickups.
Black pickup rings.
Lampshade knobs.
Hybrid Hardware.
Pilfering on the headstock and around the fretboard.
25" scale.
Pattern regular profile.

I was just thinking of this combo today! As Judas Priest didn't say in a backmasked message, do it!!!

Maybe you could take half of the quilt side and join it to half of the flame side and have a quame front and back.

But never go with flilt.

I believe 11top built a singlecut trem in Northern Lights on a burl top, looked amazing. Your call, dude.

Are you going to the vault in person or is a dealer going for you?

In person you may find pieces that clarify your choice. I'm hesitant to advise because it's your guitar, and anything anyone else tells you may not be you.
If you're like me, you' can build exactly what you want and you'll still be second guessing yourself later.
I love the flamed maple neck on mine but I still wonder what it'd be like with a rosewood neck.
Enjoy the build. Looking forward to the pics.

I believe 11top built a singlecut trem in Northern Lights on a burl top, looked amazing. Your call, dude.

Actually VD, the geetar of which I believe you speak is “faded aqua violet”:

However, I do have this reverse chevron flame northern lights SC which has a complementary maple neck.

Matt, Have you considered a swamp ash body/back? Also I dig that black hybrid hardware (I don’t have it, and don’t know the exact name). Finally, how about piezo?

Hope this helps give you more options, and therefore anguish and restless nights like it does me. :p

Last edited:
Great looking specs!

Are you going to the vault in person or is a dealer going for you?

In person you may find pieces that clarify your choice. I'm hesitant to advise because it's your guitar, and anything anyone else tells you may not be you.
If you're like me, you' can build exactly what you want and you'll still be second guessing yourself later.
I love the flamed maple neck on mine but I still wonder what it'd be like with a rosewood neck.
Enjoy the build. Looking forward to the pics.

And all this stuff Rob said also!!

I agree that northern lights lends itself to a flame top. I had planned on a flame top and quilt back some time ago, but haven’t gotten around to building it yet. Go for it.

It as Rob said: if you are going to the vault, the available wood might back the decision for you.

psf157-1000-13-jpg.6401

This guitar from the PSF thread looks like it might be a northern lights quilt. I think it looks especially rad.

Reactions: jxe
psf157-1000-13-jpg.6401

This guitar from the PSF thread looks like it might be a northern lights quilt. I think it looks especially rad.

I wonder if Hunter used a flash. I really like that too, but I’m wondering it it’s as easy to see the figure not under the lights.

This aqua violet one has that tendency:

Last edited:
I wonder if Hunter used a flash. I really like that too, but I’m wondering it it’s as easy to see the figure not under the lights.

This aqua violet one has that tendency:

One of my all time favs!

SingleCut trem.
Ebony fretboard.
Natural sides.
85/15 pickups.
Black pickup rings.
Lampshade knobs.
Hybrid Hardware.
Purfling on the headstock and around the fretboard.
25" scale.
Pattern regular profile.

Cool build specs! I agree with Steve, add the piezo for some extra tone flavors. I switched to a pattern vintage neck carve on short scale 24.5” - extra charge for the 594 scale length so figured it was close enough.

Isn’t there a NL Glow finish? That might look better on a quilt top if you are worried about it. I went with Ocean Mist Glow on my quilt top.

Or....you need to build two, one flame top, one quilt top!

I’ve got a Northern Lights flametop, and while I think it’d work just fine on a quilt piece, it’d be a bit different.

Thing is, if it doesn’t work for you on a quilt top on the front of the guitar, why would it work any better for the back of the guitar? Seems like you might get a strange looking guitar, with two markedly different color results, let alone an eyeball-jarring mismatch in grain.

I’m thinking plaid pants that don’t quite match the color of a pinstripe sports jacket, which probably isn’t the best look no matter what shirt and tie you pick.

This would be a no-brainer for me; I’d match the front and back as closely as I could.

Anyway, here’s mine for a flame top reference; it has an African ribbon mahogany back stained a little bit darker than natural, a combination that I like very much.

2ApckDd.jpg

Last edited:
I switched to a pattern vintage neck carve on short scale 24.5” - extra charge for the 594 scale length so figured it was close enough.

Back in the good ‘ol days, once they had it programmed, there was either little or no upcharge. The rules tend to change so I don’t know if that still holds true, but it seems logical.

Back