Hello it's me

Your response is appreciated, and I agree that differences in neck carves may be entirely indiscernible, save for the Pattern Vintage. And that might be one reason why I might not buy a 594, because of the heftier neck profile. Perhaps the selling point is that each has his own preferences, but it may actually require a hands-on review of the neck carve the person is looking for, rather than just trusting his gut and buying blindly.

Occasionally, I've tried that myself and either been vastly appreciative, or understandably disappointed.

Which leads to bonding with your instrument. How often have any of us bought on a whim and later discovered we just can't connect with the guitar? I think sometimes doing so invites trouble and later forces us to sell at a loss rather than decide the guitar a keeper. Perhaps this is what keeps the economy moving forward, sales and resales of guitars we initially wish to enjoy, or those someone else though they did, but changed their mind about...

Your response is appreciated, and I agree that differences in neck carves may be entirely indiscernible, save for the Pattern Vintage. And that might be one reason why I might not buy a 594, because of the heftier neck profile. Perhaps the selling point is that each has his own preferences, but it may actually require a hands-on review of the neck carve the person is looking for, rather than just trusting his gut and buying blindly.

Occasionally, I've tried that myself and either been vastly appreciative, or understandably disappointed.

Which leads to bonding with your instrument. How often have any of us bought on a whim and later discovered we just can't connect with the guitar? I think sometimes doing so invites trouble and later forces us to sell at a loss rather than decide the guitar a keeper. Perhaps this is what keeps the economy moving forward, sales and resales of guitars we initially wish to enjoy, or those someone else though they did, but changed their mind about...

I would still recommend trying the 594. On paper, its a a bit chunkier than the others but in reality it doesn't really feel like that. The asymmetric carve feels like a more broken in guitar - not to say the rolled edges of PRS guitars don't feel that way but the 594 just feels a bit more broken in than the others and really doesn't feel thicker - at least to me. Dismissing it, just because on paper its a different carve and/or thickness is a mistake - its much better to try and then dismiss if it really isn't for you but at least you know for sure - it could surprise you too...

There is something to be said for actually getting out to a music store and trying the guitars, get hands on to the necks and see how they truly feel. I have always said that if there is any doubt in you head about any aspect, especially if you are looking to spend a lot on a guitar, you want to know that it actually feels good in the hands. We all know that PRS guitars sound great, look fantastic and are built to a very high quality, but unless you actually get out and try the guitars, you won't know if they are actually a 'great' fit for you. If you do get out and try the different neck shapes, find them comfortable, then you can order in confidence from reputable dealers knowing that the 'feel' will be right as well as the sound, look, build quality etc.

In general, it seems that the majority of PRS owners tend to expand the number of PRS guitars they have. I know we see a number crop up on the used market too but I wonder how many of them are sold to be replaced by a 'newer' PRS rather than sold because the owner wasn't happy with it? I don't see the market flooded with used PRS - not saying there aren't any but for a company that is making a fair few every month and have been doing so for nearly 35 yrs, there aren't a LOT of used guitars on the market - not many buying on a whim and regretting it. You also don't know if those selling are having to sell 'something' to pay for something completely different - a car, a car repair, a new baby on the way...

I will never tell anyone how to spend their money, which guitar they should buy. All I can do is to try to help them come to their own decision as to what guitar is the right one for them, at the very least the right one that they should potentially try first - and by try, I mean go out to a Shop and 'try' first and if that wasn't the 'right' guitar - whether that's because of neck shape or feel for what ever reason, they haven't wasted money on the wrong guitar. If you can't find the 'right' colour or even model, you can still try out the 'neck' of a similar guitar and get a feel for it. For example, if you were after a Single cut semi-hollow 594, you can try a Double cut 594 and know how the neck feels, the carve of it and then search online to find a seller who has the SC 594 SH and order in confidence that the sound, feel, quality etc will be there. If they don't like the neck and find a Cu22 Pattern Regular more comfortable, they can look for guitars that have that neck.

From my perspective, having a guitar with each of the 4 PRS Pattern Necks, I could order ANY PRS, regardless of 'model' and know that the neck won't be an issue. I don't need to go to a shop and try a SC594 or HB594 because I know how that Pattern Vintage neck feels. I didn't have to go out to a shop to find my PRS Special 22, I could look at all the retailers that were selling one, pick the one I liked in the colour I liked and order it online - I also have the safety net of being able to return for a full refund within a certain time-frame too - but the 'feel' of the neck was never a concern or me because I knew how it would 'feel' because of my PRS guitars. A case in point, I didn't even look to see if it was Pattern Regular (like my 509 and like other Cu22's) or 'Pattern (like my HBii), I just knew that it would feel 'great' to me as soon as I picked it up for the first time.

I am that confident that I could order online any PRS guitar with any of the 'Pattern' neck shapes without ANY concerns about the neck feel and playability. Any person too could be in that exact same position, whether they own any PRS or not - just by going into a shop, trying guitars with the different carves and seeing which if any don't work for you. It also depends on how 'sensitive' you are to small changes.

I don't know how or why the subject of necks has arisen in this thread when the necks have been discussed in several other threads. All I tried to do here was try to give the OP an idea on where each of the PRS guitars tend to fit in the 'spectrum' with the Custom 24 being most PRS-like, through the Custom 22, McCarty and finally 594 which is more Les Paul like PRS guitar. The information was to help picture the general area these guitars fit in the market-place, how they differ and to help the OP decide where they may want to start exploring. If they were more after a PRS 'Les Paul' for example, they may want to start at the 594, try that and see if its the right guitar. Maybe that's too close, maybe the Custom 22 maybe the right place to look - more PRS but with a bit more LP-ish 'vibe'.

The point I was making with ordering online is that once you know 'exactly' what you want based on information and actually trying guitars in shops to know how a PRS feels, you do not have to buy from that shop if the colour or particular variation isn't being sold by them. Try a DC594, like the neck and then order from any retailer that has the SC594 or Semi-hollow 594 or 'blue' 594. Try a guitar with a Pattern regular and buy any PRS from any store online that has a Pattern regular neck knowing that it will feel right. Whenever anyone is unsure of anything - whether its a Core or an SE, you should NEVER buy without doing some legwork. However, you don't have to buy from the limited selection a Shop may have if the 594 isn't in the colour or variation you want, you can try it to see if the neck feels comfortable and order the 594 you saw in a shop 1000miles away that is in the colour, pattern and variation you want and you will NOT be disappointed.

As the Unofficial Forum Lefty, please allow me to welcome you to the forum!! I can tell you that I absolutely feel your pain!! I too have a US Strat, Martin, Gibson, etc (the more lefty friendly companies); and was dying to get a PRS. I actually found my Custom 24 @ PRS Experience last year, and it was the only lefty for sale, out of 200ish guitars!

If you're not looking for something specific (hollow body, semi-hollow, 12 string, specific budget point, etc), I'd point you to the Custom 24s. Many consider them "The PRS", and trust me when I tell you as a fellow lefty: You'll find more LH of those than anything else. That's what mine is, and I find just about any excuse to pick her up. You can find some Custom 22, and many SE (if you're looking to save a bit of money over a core model), but MOST of what you'll find in the Core line are going to be Custom 24. If you're considering a SE, most "big box guitar stores" will likely have one to fiddle on when you walk in.

If you want something specific, head on over to the PRS Dealers section on this forum, and see what they're posting. I bought mine from Moore's, and have had some business with Brian's. I personally dig both of them, and would gladly do business with either again. They're both outstanding shops IMO, and also sell a bunch of PRS every year, so they're likely to have a Lefty or two in stock. I've never bought one, had it delivered, and wanted to return it, so IDK how that would go. I say "Give 'em a ring, and they'll both be super helpful".

After that, feel free to make my mistake: Love your PRS so much, and have HollowBody (HB) envy. Then build your own Private Stock so you can get whatever lefty you want. :D

I think that's about enough rambling. Good luck in your search, and feel free to reach out if there's anything I can help with.

Well AP515 I am actually right handed my left hand was in an accident and my little and ring finger are just sticks that don't move I can hold a pick good thats about it. Thats how LeftRight stuck as a handle. I takes alot of patience with my left hand but my right hand found chords and scales easy. I learned to play 30 years ago I traveled for my job So I bought a guitar to keep me IN hotel and out of trouble best idea I ever had! Now I am retired and will never leave home again ever. Live in the country on 100 acres with horses cows and my dogs. I know I can't go wrong on any PRS I feel good about that
I agree with all the 'there are very few not awesome PRS' sentiments, so I would feel OK getting a lefty one sight-unseen if I were you.

And I won't try to tell you to switch, even tho it sounds like you are exactly like Django Reinhardt (arguably one of the best ever)...

As someone who is very particular over colour, all 5 of my PRS have been bought online and all 5 have arrived and not one has 'disappointed' in any way - whether that's a superficial blemish, playability issue or, most importantly, by the tones I can get from them. As such, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 'new' PRS from a reputable dealer online if they had the model in the colour I want.

I can appreciate that buying Lefty isn't easy and even the choice of colours and models available are going to be extremely limited unless you can open up your search by using the internet. Its possibly more difficult for lefties than it is for me with my own 'limitations' (UK only, Fire Red Burst in the model I want - although if I can't get Fire Red on a Limited Edition, I may be forced to buy an alternative colour) depending on where you shop with the US being probably the easier place to live for PRS purchasers.

All I can say is that in my experience, the shops I have bought online from have been excellent - not only with their pre-dispatch checks etc but also in negotiation before purchase and all have put new strings of my choice free of charge too. I can totally understand why people are apprehensive about buying a guitar, something that is a 'personal' item that not only has to 'sound' right but also has to feel right in the hands too. I can understand that buying an item that costs more than a lot of used cars without having the opportunity to see if it feels right and can check for any issues is a big risk - although buying from a reputable dealer does reduce the risk somewhat. Used is a bigger risk as you can't always see how well its been treated, don't know if the Pup's have been re-installed to sell so may have sub-standard wiring but less of a risk if you buy from reputable sellers.

I buy new and from a reputable PRS dealer and as such, have some warranty and piece of mind - not just from the seller but also from PRS themselves. Obviously, you don't really want to have to use PTC to get your guitar up to the standard you expect from a new PRS but you do have that option should you need - another aspect that often gets overlooked when people compare PRS guitars and talk about the expense of these stunning instruments.

Based on my experience, as well as examples of the excellent customer service (not that I have needed them myself) I would have NO hesitation in recommending buying PRS guitars online from reputable dealers. I can't comment on any of the dealers outside the UK but I am sure that if you were to find a lefty you would like to buy, you can always find out how reputable and customer focussed they are before purchasing. Being a lefty must be a lot easier these days now you don't have to go travelling from one store to the next to hunt down any Left handed guitars, making do with the small selection you can find in your area. With the internet, you have a much bigger market place to look for the guitars you want and have more choice on specs, colours etc.

Thank you all for response. I am sure ANY PRS will be a better guitar than I deserve. If I could go to store and play each model the choice would be easier. Chances are very good it will be the only lefty PRS I will ever see Therefore the best.

Back