Hello and Thank You! Set Necks or Bolt on?

Set Neck or Bolt On?

• I Like Set Necks

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • I Like Bolt On Necks

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's good to see so many replies. I am always interested in what other people think and feel.

I prefer set necks but I have one bolt-on neck which I like a whole lot. How could I NOT like it?
PRS_SwampAshStudio_1698.jpg

Could someone possibly help me to learn how to upload pic from my pc? I don't have a copy url option.

These are my 97 beauties! Love the feel of these bolt on necks! The cherry sunburst came to me as just a body, neck and neck plate with control and tremolo covers. I restored with more modern features, plus I added Seymour Duncan Sh6 in both neck and bridge! Talk about killer tones!

I have never played a bolt on PRS so perhaps someone can help me out with my curiosity...

Do they have play in them like strats and other bolt style axes? Ie can you adjust the alignment or are the PRS pockets precise fits unlike some other makes?

I ask because the only thing that ever annoyed me about my bolt on guitars is that one of them doesn't go on quite straight if you remove the neck (which is a must as it uses a heel cross-nut truss rod). I have to use my shoulder to push the neck to one side as I tighten it back up to keep the string alignment perfectly centred. I have seen this happens on a lot of strats and bolt neck basses.

If I could ever swing a PS model, it'd be a DGT with a bold-on maple neck. Seriously.

I will second this. I had a goldtop DGT that I wanted to love, but it never played as well as my '93 CE-24. I prefer the feel of the maple bolt-on neck, and also the ability to tweak the neck/body angle with shims. If my DGT would have had a bolt neck, I would still own it. I do still have my CE-24, which I will never part with. Of all the PRS guitars I've owned, I have liked the bolt neck models best by far.

glad to see its not just me! I'm new to the forum and im considering my first PRS, and the CE attracts me because so far i have telecasters and les pauls - the CE is the perfect marriage.

This is my Swamp Ash Special that I am trying to save up to restore! Can't wait for this one to be complete!!!! And yes, it is also a bolt on!

that is beautiful! i love the nice wide grain streaks of swamp ash. the other one further up was stunning too, but i prefer rosewood on a humbucker guitar neck.

Back