Hello and Thank You! Set Necks or Bolt on?

Set Neck or Bolt On?

• I Like Set Necks

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • I Like Bolt On Necks

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Henry Diaz

Hello, Everyone!

I am new to the forum and wish everyone well! I am the proud owner of 2 PRS CE 24 models from 1997. I actually had an opportunity to play the newer CE24, and am floored!

I have had the opportunity to play Custom 24 models as well. Honestly, my preference is the bolt on models. Does anyone have a preference to play? Just Curious....

I like both, but overall I tend to favor bolt-on, especially for rhythm. The tone just seems to snap a bit more. Maybe I'm weird, but I think pinch harmonics seem to jump out a bit more easily on a bolt-on neck. The note decay is a little more rapid generally, unless your neck is cranked down tighter than tight, when it will actually out-sustain a set neck... well, until the body cracks that is!

I really like both as well, but prefer the set neck.
There's something about the feel.

Opinions vary on the difference in tone, sustain, snap etc between the two, but IMHO, what counts is that the neck fits snugly in the pocket, it's a good join, & the construction is what it should be.

I've owned some pretty sub par set neck & bolt on guitars, & really the way the neck attaches is the least of your worries with a bad guitar.

Equally a well made guitar it's more a matter of personal preference than any great difference in tonality of sustain.

Paul has said just as much in interviews, but that doesn't stop any guitar manufacturer from sustaining the set neck vs bolt on discussion, which is about as subjective as the discussion of tone wood..

Play what you like, but variables like scale length, pups, string gauge etc make more difference than set or bolt on.

All that said, your subjective opinion is valuable, as it informs your experience, which influences your character.
No one else experiences your world the way you do.

The "Know your gear" guy (who some don't love around here) made a recent video on what makes a guitar pricy. He said that at this point the cost difference btwn set and bolt-on construction was negligible, yet many still view the bolt-on as cheaper.

I have 3 CEs from 97. They rock! I love them all but if I'm playing outside I'll take my CEs just to avoid sticky neck.

I've just recently stepped into the 305 arena. Set maple neck. They are cool too.

My cu24 is hard to beat though.

I think joint type is the least contributing factor when it comes to tone. Thickness and wood type on both neck and body, wood density, have had more effect on the guitars I've owned.

For example, my SE CU24 has a set maple neck, it's bright and snappy - in fact a little more so than I prefer in standard tuning. I now use it tuned down a whole step, and that's really the sweet spot! The snap tightens things up on those lower notes perfectly. Acoustically, I hear similarities to a Strat. I also have a Mira X, which uses some super-light weight mahogany species, and it's very bright and snappy as well.

I think the "bolt-on vs. set neck" discussion gets obfuscated by the fact that most bolt on necks are maple, and the "classic" set neck recipe is all-mahogany. It probably makes a difference, but if it's a tight joint, I'd estimate it to be quite small.

Now, what we really ought to do is get a shoot out going between two identical spec guitars, with only a difference in neck joint - a new Custom 24 w/maple neck, vs. a new CE24.

I think joint type is the least contributing factor when it comes to tone. Thickness and wood type on both neck and body, wood density, have had more effect on the guitars I've owned.

For example, my SE CU24 has a set maple neck, it's bright and snappy - in fact a little more so than I prefer in standard tuning. I now use it tuned down a whole step, and that's really the sweet spot! The snap tightens things up on those lower notes perfectly. Acoustically, I hear similarities to a Strat. I also have a Mira X, which uses some super-light weight mahogany species, and it's very bright and snappy as well.

I think the "bolt-on vs. set neck" discussion gets obfuscated by the fact that most bolt on necks are maple, and the "classic" set neck recipe is all-mahogany. It probably makes a difference, but if it's a tight joint, I'd estimate it to be quite small.

Now, what we really ought to do is get a shoot out going between two identical spec guitars, with only a difference in neck joint - a new Custom 24 w/maple neck, vs. a new CE24.

Interesting concept. Just looking for advice and how others feel about their respective guitars.

Interesting concept. Just looking for advice and how others feel about their respective guitars.

It's just my opinion - and I haven't played every guitar out there! I find myself gravitating more to the set mahogany necks, but I can certainly see why some like bolt on and/or maple necks, and I can't knock anyone for loving them. I hear players like SRV, John Mayer, Brad Paisley, not to mention a lot of local guys, playing these maple neck, bolt on guitars and making them sound so dang good, and it bothers me that I can't replicate it! But for some reason, when I sit down with a guitar, something about the mahogany just pulls me in, and I can't make maple sound as good as it should. Maybe I'm just not good enough! :)

Love my CE's, love my customs. Yeah, the tone is different, but there are more reasons than just the neck joint. Just play em!

It's just my opinion - and I haven't played every guitar out there! I find myself gravitating more to the set mahogany necks, but I can certainly see why some like bolt on and/or maple necks, and I can't knock anyone for loving them. I hear players like SRV, John Mayer, Brad Paisley, not to mention a lot of local guys, playing these maple neck, bolt on guitars and making them sound so dang good, and it bothers me that I can't replicate it! But for some reason, when I sit down with a guitar, something about the mahogany just pulls me in, and I can't make maple sound as good as it should. Maybe I'm just not good enough! :)

It's cool! I appreciate your thoughts very much! And I can agree with the whole mahogany neck and maple neck play ability. There is something unique about both!

But sometimes I wish the costs wouldn't be so high! But the idea of a new Custom 24 and CE 24 shoot out is a good idea! I have yet to check out the new Custom 24, so I have to make my way out!

Thank you for your thoughts!

Having owned and regularly gigged with both a '91 Custom 24 and a '91 CE-24...I will say that when it came time to replace my Custom I intentionally waited till I found the right CE...the Mahogany body was a little less forgiving when trying to cop somekinda Fender tone...The Alder on the CE was a little more useful in it's flavors for me...specially when doin any country or SRV...and the set-neck on the Custom just could not take outside gigs...any temp/barometric/humidity changes and you were tuning for every song. That rock maple on the CE doesn't give me a third of the probs. Good luck!

I really like my maple neck CEs. My set neck custom 24 is fabulous tone wise but get caught trying to play the damn thing outside when it's hot and humid.......ugh.

I only have 2 bolt on necks ( 1- Fender 1- PRS ) and they are fine BUT I would choose a set neck first

I guess my favorite for feel is the older Swamps, almost naked wood feeling. But I think set necks vs. bolts effect the tone, so each has its advantages...this is VERY general, but bolts add brightness and snap , and set necks are fuller
(more mids)???

Having owned and regularly gigged with both a '91 Custom 24 and a '91 CE-24...I will say that when it came time to replace my Custom I intentionally waited till I found the right CE...the Mahogany body was a little less forgiving when trying to cop somekinda Fender tone...The Alder on the CE was a little more useful in it's flavors for me...specially when doin any country or SRV...and the set-neck on the Custom just could not take outside gigs...any temp/barometric/humidity changes and you were tuning for every song. That rock maple on the CE doesn't give me a third of the probs. Good luck!

Thank you! You make very good points! Rock on!!

I really like both as well, but prefer the set neck.
There's something about the feel.

Opinions vary on the difference in tone, sustain, snap etc between the two, but IMHO, what counts is that the neck fits snugly in the pocket, it's a good join, & the construction is what it should be.

I've owned some pretty sub par set neck & bolt on guitars, & really the way the neck attaches is the least of your worries with a bad guitar.

Equally a well made guitar it's more a matter of personal preference than any great difference in tonality of sustain.

Paul has said just as much in interviews, but that doesn't stop any guitar manufacturer from sustaining the set neck vs bolt on discussion, which is about as subjective as the discussion of tone wood..

Play what you like, but variables like scale length, pups, string gauge etc make more difference than set or bolt on.

All that said, your subjective opinion is valuable, as it informs your experience, which influences your character.
No one else experiences your world the way you do.

Thank you!!!!

Back