Hans' Winter NAMM 2014 Blog

My wife asked my this week, "How come you don't go to that guitar show anymore?"

I didn't have an answer… Maybe next year...

Last edited:
Good morning!

It's a sunny and slightly foggy morning here at the convention center. NAMM visitors like me are anxiously awaiting access to the show. The smell of coffee and cigarettes permeates the cool California breeze.

For those of you less familiar, the NAMM show is a place for music manufacturers to connect with retailers. Attending as a visitor has the potential (in my opinion) to make it harder for the businesses to do what they came here to do... sell stuff. That's why NAMM works so hard to restrict passes. Manufacturers shouldn't be inundated with tourists while they're trying to make sales. As such, we stay out of the way, take photos, and listen in while sales guys are talking to dealers. When a booth gets crowded, we move along.

The trade off is that we get to see the coolest new instruments in the business as well as the best and brightest in the industry as big names, like PRS, bring out their endorsing artists in order to draw dealers to their booth. Some smaller companies rely on another tried and true method... Booth Babes. It's easy to see why. This show is always a Weenie Roast.

Anywho... the visitor crowd is now starting to grow. Dealers are already in the lobby. Doors open in 5 minutes. The basement (typically the start-up and lower-end companies) will be 1st. The main floors open 30-minutes later. Pics of the PRS booth coming shortly. I'm sure that Hunter will be posting some quality images for the forum community, as well.

Stay tuned.

862C57C7-C6C6-4AD2-8DED-D352E686B7E1_zpsx6lvm33e.jpg

Last edited:
Arrgh, I wish I could be there but I have to be here in the office :(

I'm about 10 miles away from the convention center. Hope you guys have a great time!

Does the carve on that second one (Brent Mason?) look different? From this angle, it looks like that NF3 Prototype Brian's Guitars just got in lst week...
It is quite similar. It comes stock with a smooth corner for your forearm which I really prefer.

Love that deck!! Looks like I'm gonna be able to make it this year. Was busy the past couple years so it will be cool to go again.

Back