Had an unfortunate mishap this weekend (battle scars!!!)

Shrews824

Well, luckily it wasn't my PRS. If it had been I would be sick right now!!!

Yep, dropped my Les Paul while standing this weekend. The strap lock (I use the Grohlsh washers) on the butt of the guitar worked it's way loose somehow. I've never had one work loose before it did this time.

I've never abused my guitars, but if they got a nick or bump here and there I never paid it much attention. I know battle scars are just part of it, but these hurt me. The one by the input jack is DEEP!!!

The ding by the nut is the one that had me most concerned. However, it doesn't appear to have damaged the nut at all. It still played great and had no issues. I'll be sure to keep an eye on that one for sure.

9F6RNyF.jpg

QsgEDZv.jpg

pyJWP5z.jpg

8RN9pKi.jpg

Ouch! That sucks
Indeed it does.
I may have uttered a few bad words.
That is quite the ouch!!! My LP has a similar scar on the opposite side of the nut from where my drummer knocked it off a stand years ago.
Yeah, unfortunately I can't blame this one on anyone. It was all on me.
Bummer
Been there
I've dropped and banged other guitars, but this is the worst yet. I couldn't believe it.
Ouch! Never done the full drop, but every ding hurts.
Yes they do. I'm sure after a while it won't bother me as much, but when I first picked it up and looked at it I about died.

The ding near the nut might be fixable with cellosolve to soften and re-flow the lacquer, the other dings can be minimized by drop filling. A good tech should be able to easily handle this with proper color matching. All the repairs might not be perfectly level but they would be far less noticeable.

UPDATE: Just zoomed in on the ding near the nut and notice the finish missing above the nut - that's a drop fill fix (not cellosolve). Cellosolve works great for fine cracks where there's no finish missing, i.e. those pesky neck joint finish cracks you can feel but aren't missing finish on some older Gibsons that have been around the block a few times.

Last edited:
I dread the day this happens to any of my beauties! Your story awakens me be even more vigilant about their protection (precious)!! At least it is not affecting her voice!!! Have a Grolsch and b!tch at the rubber, it sounds like it was their fault!!!!

Back