For you "outdoorsmen" (and women)

• Thread starter Deleted member 5962
  • Start date
Personal choice, or is that the effective range?
That is "my" effective range with a bow. No use hitting an animal, but not accurately enough, so I only wound it and allow it to die of infection a couple of weeks later. I want to be sure I can place the shot exactly where I want it. And with a bow, it is different than with rifle. At least for me.

That is "my" effective range with a bow. No use hitting an animal, but not accurately enough, so I only wound it and allow it to die of infection a couple of weeks later. I want to be sure I can place the shot exactly where I want it. And with a bow, it is different than with rifle. At least for me.
Your a responsible hunter! I've known people that would potshot and call it "hunting". Never more than once with those people. Tracking a wounded animal sucks, and with deer its not as tasty later.

Although, I understand hunting. It being how our ancestors and I am sure people are still supplementing protein, Bambi never did anything to me………. Now, how bout a Four-Legged Satan that can damn near outrun a horse from zero to up your butt!!!!!

I MUST be sick, I LOVE this sh%t

Although, I understand hunting. It being how our ancestors and I am sure people are still supplementing protein, Bambi never did anything to me………. Now, how bout a Four-Legged Satan that can damn near outrun a horse from zero to up your butt!!!!!

I MUST be sick, I LOVE this sh%t
That looks like some good eatin' right there!

Personal choice, or is that the effective range?

My dad hunted all the time when I was younger. He went through a stretch during deer season where he was getting a deer first day every year for like 9 or 10 years in a row, so he asked for a muzzle loader kit for Christmas. I asked him why, and he said it would give him a project to keep busy during the year, and it would be a challenge when hunting season came, and he felt like he was starting to lose interest because of how easily he was getting his deer. So, he got the kit and built it. The first day of hunting season that year, I felt something shaking my leg. I woke up, rolled over, and it was my dad. He said, "Can you come help me?" I looked at the clock - it was like 8:30 AM. I looked at him and said, "You're kidding." He just shook his head sadly and said, "First shot." I never saw him look so disappointed after a successful hunt than that day. He later told someone, "I thought I'd get a couple days out of it, at least, and I didn't even get a couple hours or a couple shots."
So, my effective range is about double this before I don't feel comfortable taking the shot.

You shot a pig???? Boy, some farmer is going to be TICKED at you!!! :eek::eek::eek:

I hope that wasn't some young kids 4H project!

:p:p:p

So, my effective range is about double this before I don't feel comfortable taking the shot.

I hear you. I have pretty much given up bow hunting for several reasons. Biggest one is the amount of hunting pressure where I live and hunt. Seems like everyone and his dog is doing it now, and I already live in the highest hunted zone in the province. My last bow outing I was home in less than an hour and had come across some 20 hunters when I never used to see another soul for days on end. Needless to say it really screws up the natural movements of the game. And it isn't just residents that I'm competing with. Pi$$es me off if you really want to know the truth. It's almost all draw license now and that's another pet peave. But my missus is status so there's ways around that angle if I so choose; but I'm not there ...yet.
My "deadly" range with my bow was 45 yards at 345 ft/sec AMO at 75#. I had some sighting issues with multiple pins and no amount of color pins kept me straight on my distances of 30, 35, 40 and 45 yards so I went to a single 40 yard pin and that solved the issue. No more guesses and wrong sight pins, I knew where I was at and what the animal was at always. Never hunted a tree stand much, pretty well all ground so no angle issues to contend with either that way. But one misplaced arrow into a shoulder blade cured me of the desire. Yes, I got the deer, but it wasn't pretty. Wasn't a distance thing, just a twitch as I loosed the dart. He only went a few bounds and stopped so I had the chance to re-nock and fire again; both lungs. Lucky was all. Now my .300 Mk V Wby is all I carry with my tags.

If I lived where you do, I'd be out all the time on the kayaks. Fishing a lot of it! And probably taking some form of gator deterrent...

Non-Floridians are always scared of gators, but they aren't aggressive. A little respect and space is all you need. They won't come at you unless you're really careless (like idiotic). If you're fishing, once in a blue moon a juvenile might come get in on the action and you might have to move on. That's about it.

If you're fishing, once in a blue moon a juvenile might come get in on the action and you might have to move on. That's about it.
That happened to me once in Georgia, but it was a whole bunch of them snatching crappies off my hook at will. They were also very adept at grabbing them by the tail and not getting hooked, we only had to release 2 the whole day, and we were getting hammered all day by the thieves.

Back