Flames vs Quilts vs 10 Tops (Help Needed!)

Gibson67v

I'm clearly new to this forum. My apologies if I am not supposed to post a new thread... but oh well.

I'm going to be ordering a P22 in July. I'm definitely going for the Rosewood Neck and possibly a 10 Top (Depending on available funds).

I have a 10 top Flame and a 10 Top Quilt and also a regular (well below regular as it's a CE 22) Flame. I'm wondering if the regular quilt looks alright or it it's too faded or muddy to really pop out. I'm going to be getting the Armando's Amethyst colour... so if anyone has this colour with a non 10 top in either a flame or a quilt please post it here so I can see how it looks. Not many to look at up close here in Canada (at least where I am currently).

Thanks

Welcome to the forum!

I'm not sure if I'm understanding your question completely. However, on the PRS site at the artist package gallery they have a picture of a CU22 with Armando's in a quilt top. In my opinion it looks wicked! :rock:

I can't post pix at work but here's the link:
http://www.prsguitars.com/artistpackage/gallery.php

Something to keep in mind are the new glow stains. See the Private Stock Friday thread for unreal examples. I'm not sure about the availability of these finishes but if you're wanting that quilt to pop this may be something to look into.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. You could always go Artist Package if you want to assure yourself a screaming top.

Thanks Guys!

At the moment I'm more curious of what the Non 10-tops look like. I have an Artist Package Custom 22 in Emerald Green (quilted) that looks amazing! I'm trying to budget a P22 with a Rosewood Neck and possibly a 10-top for about 4 grand (with maybe 200-300 wiggle room). I'd go Artist Package, but I just bought 4 grand in recording gear and a different Paul Reed Smith (US Made, of course) in the last 3 months.

If I went artist package I'd be sacrificing the rosewood neck. Something I don't want to do.

So I'd like to see some user's pictures of non 10 top flame and quilts to help me make my decision.

I may be a little scatter brained when I'm typing... lots of decisions to make here lol.

I considered a similar guitar like you describe. My dealer described the tops this way. "There is no bad tops, some non-10 tops look as good or better than some 10 tops. Ten tops are great and can somtimes be as good as artist grade". My C24 looks like a PS top, when it is actually only a 10 top. The rosewood neck is not a bad way to go for a piezo equipped guitar. Enjoy your quest!

Why are you after a Rosewood neck? Just dig the look? A tone you are after? Feel?

(trying to help you get factors to trade off against the quilt top)

I love the sustain that you can get from them. The feel is wicked, too. Also ever since I saw the video where Paul knocks on the East Indian Rosewood Neck and you hear how it sounds!! The look doesn't hurt either, but, If I were going for looks then I'd be going right to the Artist Package... I love my Artist Package Custom 22 Brazilian!

I considered a similar guitar like you describe. My dealer described the tops this way. "There is no bad tops, some non-10 tops look as good or better than some 10 tops. Ten tops are great and can somtimes be as good as artist grade". My C24 looks like a PS top, when it is actually only a 10 top. The rosewood neck is not a bad way to go for a piezo equipped guitar. Enjoy your quest!

Thanks Man! I agree with you on some of the 10 tops and artist 10 tops looking Private Stock-ish! I think my issue is that most of the pictures I can find of the Armando's Amethyst (and Makena Blue, which I'm now considering) are 10 tops and they aren't from users... so lighting is used to make the guitars look as good as possible. I also have a CE 22 in Whale Blue that isn't a 10 top and it looks kind of muddy. But at a certain point the CE 22's were using the tops that weren't good enough for Customs so like 5-6 tops.

I'm stoked to get another Paul Reed Smith, though! The quest has been good so far lol!

Gibson67v,

Can you post links to where this color is photographed? The PRS site has "image soon" label.

Thanks.

Back