First PRS...SE Custom 24 Spalted

jbear

Hi All,
This is my first post here as this is my first PRS guitar. To be candid, I have always played Fenders, Gibsons, and Ibanez, but I never really took to PRS. I didn't steer from them...we just didn't cross paths. I am a pretty big jazz/fusion/blues fan and that's what I play.
So, I had this G&L ASAT Classic Bluesboy Tribute that was really well put-together, but...when you've got several instruments...inevitably (for me) someone gets left out. In my case...this Bluesboy. I offered it up for trade, and of the many offers...this PRS SE Custom 24 Spalted came along, so...now I have a PRS.
I enjoy modding guitars, and I do most stuff myself. I am going to play if for bit before I do anything, but I am curious as to what the general opinion is regarding these guitars and what folks like to do to take them to the next level. I know nothing about PRS PUP's, so I'll have to get this running through a few amps to see what's what. Most of amps are Blackface Fenders and I use several Dumble pedals (being the Robben Ford fan that I am). Others are EL84 Scott Henderson style amps, but not sure I'd use this guitar for that stuff.
Anyway...you know how it is when you get a new guitar...you wanna know what everyone else thinks. I'm no different.
Thanks in advance to any who care to share their observations.

I also have a Spalted maple CU24 and other than clean up the nut, I have made no mods at all. Plays and sounds great. (I have no luck posting pics also)..ENJOY!!!

Not having too much luck with that.

I also have a Spalted maple CU24 and other than clean up the nut, I have made no mods at all. Plays and sounds great. (I have no luck posting pics also)..ENJOY!!!

how-to-post-pics

Hi guys. Basically, what you need to do is get a free account at photobucket or similar and post your pics there. Then you can link to them here.

Congrats and welcome. SEs are great guitars, and don't "need" much. Play it and see what you think. Nuts, tuners, and pups are the frequent points, but not everyone does any/all mods. Let us know what you think when you've spent some time with it.

Thanks for the welcome.
I played it a few hours last night through a DRRI with a Sonic Fusion pedal. Was also using a 335 and Tele. I did not bring a Les Paul...to ensure that the PRS was played.
I like it so far. PUPs are not really remarkable in any way, but to be fair, I have not adjusted them yet.
Tuners...eh...they work...just not particularly smooth.
Nut...I think that's gotta go. Too deep and it's binding just a bit. That's okay...don't care for black ones and now I have a reason.
Inside...ummmm...lots of cold solder joints...not cool (no pun intended). Also the switch is sorta puny.
Neck, body, and frets are great and the guitar is really alive feeling. That's key! I can"fix" the rest easily.
So...I got a pretty cool Robben Ford thing out of it...I'm happy.

Okay...and one aesthetic peeve...put PR dang S on the headstock somewhere besides the truss rod cover; shrink the SE...and lose the novella on the back of the headstock.
Okay.
Done.
Nice guitar!

Glad you are liking the guitar over all. People have different likes and dislikes, and feel the need to change or not change things accordingly. One thing on the nut: I know it looks different than most guitars, but the deep-set nut slots are on purpose. That's how PRS does it.

Edit: I should have added that if you are having string binding issues, widen the slots or replace the nut!

Last edited:
Thanks for the observation. I have some Gibson's with corian nuts...they're also too deep. Sometimes I can work with them, but...I had a 339 for instance...nut was worthless no matter what I did. Tuning it sounded like a ricochet.
Anyway...I've played some ridiculously expensive vintage guitars and there are some that sound amazing but play like butt! These are little issues easily solved.

Anybody know where I can get a tremelo bar for this guitar at a decent price? I am really familiar with where Fender and Gibson parts can be found, but I am a total PRS ignoramus.

Anybody know where I can get a tremelo bar for this guitar at a decent price? I am really familiar with where Fender and Gibson parts can be found, but I am a total PRS ignoramus.

PRS store sell them online.

PRS store sell them online.

That's where I got mine. There were no third-party sellers on eB*y etc that could beat the price. Not cheap, but not super-expensive.

I have a SE custom 24 and a Core Custom 24 10 top. I too like to mod but have done nothing to either guitar. I think both sound great just like they came from the store.

I think I definitely need to change out the switch...it's very flimsy and I can see bending it easily on a gig...if I gig with it. Wish it had a toggle rather than a blade, but again...detail.
A few sharp frets ends discovered...the hard way.
I'll get it there eventually.

Back