Finicky Dandyism And Shiny Guitars

I also realize I haven't been around here long, so I shouldn't state any opinions that might be offensive in this uber politically correct society we live in. Apologies to any relic lovers out there.

Stop it. You've been family since the day you registered which is why I joke around. :cheers:At least you're not wearing Zuba pants.

Last edited:
At least you're not wearing Zuba pants.

You had to pick up the stick and start poking.........which led me to dig around in the bottom of the closet.
20151002_051000_zpse8tjqhf6.jpg

I hear ya. :biggrin: It's usually "middle aged guys in tan pants" that the young guys at The Gear Page make fun of. I'm guessing "dad jeans" are a similar jab at those over the age of "coolness." LOL

The concepts of coolness and fashion trends, especially when it comes to clothing, are among the great hoaxes perpetrated on the weak-minded.

They are ideas for suckers.

I told that to my wife the other day when I needed a new suit for a wedding (I've lost a lot of weight in the past few months), and was roped into buying a fancy-pants "slim fit" suit that looks like what I wore in 1963.

Yes, I bought the damn suit. :redface:

Suckahhhhh!

Stop it. You've been family since the day you registered which is why I joke around. :cheers:At least you're not wearing Zuba pants.

But, I do have tan pants, I'm a dad.. ok and a grand dad as of a few weeks ago, and I'm over 50! :eek: So maybe the shoe fits... :dontknow: LOL

The concepts of coolness and fashion trends, especially when it comes to clothing, are among the great hoaxes perpetrated on the weak-minded.

They are ideas for suckers.

I told that to my wife the other day when I needed a new suit for a wedding (I've lost a lot of weight in the past few months), and was roped into buying a fancy-pants "slim fit" suit that looks like what I wore in 1963.

Yes, I bought the damn suit. :redface:

Suckahhhhh!

I am completely with you here. I've always said "current fashion" was nothing more than a ploy to sell you something new. Given my profession, I used to have to wear nice suits to work. I have 7-8 nice suits. They are all 10 years old or more. I'm taller and slim and I like double breasted suits. Thats what I like the look of. That's what I think looks best on me. You can't find a double breasted suit any more unless I go back to the custom tailor. All the stores what to sell you the 4 button things with the funky collars... NO, I want a nice wool, silk lined double breasted suit. I get a kick out of them saying "they went out of style years ago." I told a guy last month when looking for a new suit "neither good taste, nor classic style EVER goes out of style."

Now, where are my bell bottoms? :biggrin:

I am completely with you here. I've always said "current fashion" was nothing more than a ploy to sell you something new. Given my profession, I used to have to wear nice suits to work. I have 7-8 nice suits. They are all 10 years old or more. I'm taller and slim and I like double breasted suits. Thats what I like the look of. That's what I think looks best on me. You can't find a double breasted suit any more unless I go back to the custom tailor. All the stores what to sell you the 4 button things with the funky collars... NO, I want a nice wool, silk lined double breasted suit. I get a kick out of them saying "they went out of style years ago." I told a guy last month when looking for a new suit "neither good taste, nor classic style EVER goes out of style."

Now, where are my bell bottoms? :biggrin:

Hah! In the 80s I was still practicing law by day, and wore an awful lot of double breasted suits. You're right, they're impossible to find, but...

THEY WILL COME BACK!

As soon as we get over this tight suit - tight pants thing from the early 60s...

When I got the damned suit fitted the rise on the waistband was low. So I said, don't you have any suits with pants with a higher rise? And they started snickering that high waisted pants were for guys with suspenders and other fossilized old men who look like Gramps on The Simpsons.

Well, I'm freaking Gramps on the Simpsons fergodsakes, I want to be able to sit down in a pair of pants without feeling like my butt crack is showing! And the rest of the world wants to avoid seeing my butt crack, too, I assure you!

Which reminds me, when I was in the hospital recently a nurse came in to inspect for bed sores, something they do for all patients. "I have to see your behind," she said.

"But we just met," was my reply. Actually, I very much wanted to see hers, but thought it imprudent to ask.

Which reminds me, when I was in the hospital recently a nurse came in to inspect for bed sores, something they do for all patients. "I have to see your behind," she said.

"But we just met," was my reply. Actually, I very much wanted to see hers, but thought it imprudent to ask.[/QUOTE]

"Wanna see my befront too?"

And wrestling masks! And cheap, too. You think they're NOS?

Serge give me some time, it doesn't work so it's in storage until I can find someone who knows how to service it. I'll take a picture next time I'm over there.

the thread has taken a twist that gives yet another new meaning to Finicky Dandyism :biggrin:

I read both of the Beevor books you mention, and loved that Berlin joke. Haven't read the Stalin's Court book, but did really enjoy "The Devil's Alliance," a book about the Stalin-Hitler pact that got WW2 started because it gave Hitler a single front war - for nearly 2 years the deal with Russia meant he didn't have to worry about invasion from the East.

Stalin and Hitler were two of a kind, IMHO. But it does make for interesting reading.

http://www.amazon.com/Stalin-The-Court-Red-Tsar/dp/1400076781

an excellent piece of history writing. As for clothes. I have worked for many years in at a job where virtually all my colleagues wear suits every day. I don't own a suit. Think different I say chinos rule the day

Last edited:
I have a few "case queens". Not because I don't want to play 'em, and heck aside from the PRS I haven't spent more than a few hundred on any one of 'em. It's just a question of time. Aside from a pair of workhorse Strats my guitars each do something different - a jazzbox, a Lorca classical, a Rogue sitar-guitar (with symp strings), a Conklin 7 string bass, etc. and I'm the drummer in my band now lol. So for example, the Lorca has not been out of its case in more than a year, not least because the nails required to play it properly are incompatible with drumming, with gripping a golf club..... But I will get back to it one day, that I know.

So I don't mind having guitars that don't get played for awhile. And I do strive to keep them all in beautiful shape (except the Strats, which have found themselves quite abused in live performance lol)

http://www.amazon.com/Stalin-The-Court-Red-Tsar/dp/1400076781

an excellent piece of history writing. As for clothes. I have worried for many years in at a jobb where virtually all my colleagues where suits every day. I don't own a suit. Think different I say chinos rule the day

I wear jeans and boots every day. Hell, I could be naked, since my studio is in my home. But I'd be cold.

Hence, jeans and boots.

Thanks for the link!

I have a few "case queens".

Nothing wrong with case queens! Really, this thread was meant for me to poke a little fun at what we sometimes do as guitarists, not so much to imply that there's a right or wrong way to do things.

I've always kind of resisted the idea that they're merely tools. I mean, of course, they are tools in one sense. Wonderful ones!

They are tools - but being tools doesn't mean they should be abused. A good craftsman takes care of his tools.

Well, I'm freaking Gramps on the Simpsons fergodsakes, I want to be able to sit down in a pair of pants without feeling like my butt crack is showing! And the rest of the world wants to avoid seeing my butt crack, too, I assure you!

"But we just met," was my reply. Actually, I very much wanted to see hers, but thought it imprudent to ask.

Let the record show that I did not take this thread in this direction.

For once.

Played a gig last night and a big fight just about broke out... I'm sitting there with my £k+ PRS and another £1k worth of gear thinking f*** this.... finished 15 mins early then got out of there! Wish I brought a cheaper guitar to that gig!

My play attire is lounging pants, cotton T-shirt and slippers. So none of my guitars has ever been exposed to buckles, metal or even plastic buttons. As a consequence of my need for comfort the guitars stay minty. A quick wipe down and the end of the day and into the case for a good safe night's sleep.

Played a gig last night and a big fight just about broke out... I'm sitting there with my £k+ PRS and another £1k worth of gear thinking f*** this.... finished 15 mins early then got out of there! Wish I brought a cheaper guitar to that gig!
Come on man, you're missing out on great photo opportunities and stories to tell your grandkids. I'm more afraid of drunk dancers than a bar fight, as far as my gear goes (With over $1k in my pedalboard, alone, it's not cool to stumble-dance on it).

Case in point, here's our other guitarist bathed in blue light.

Tell me that isn't worthy of an album cover, or at least an inner sleeve! Thanks to the 20+ police officers at this bar fight, we had a blast! Though, I kinda wanted the chicken wire re-installed in front of the stage for our protection (the remnants were still mounted to the ceiling). Fortunately, I'll never play there again.

Moral of the story: bad stuff can happen to your gear but it usually leaves you with stories and photos to last a lifetime. Carry a good insurance policy. :biggrin:

Back