Finicky Dandyism And Shiny Guitars

László

Too Many Notes
I'm reading a very good book on the Civil War by Shelby Foote, a wonderful writer who has the chops to really bring history to life. In describing the reaction of certain Southerners to one of their generals, he said they regarded him as a "finicky dandy hesitant to bloody a bright new sword."

You know what? The first thing that popped into my head reading this was what a finicky dandy I can be about the care of my own weapons -- namely, my guitars.

It's a great 19th century-style expression, and implies so much!

Now, before you think I have case queens, I play them every day, in recording sessions, for practice, and when jamming. 3 out of 4 are Private Stocks, and none of them are put away in vaults. They get played. But I do try to keep them as pristine as I can. In fact, worry about keeping them that way. There's a psychological thing there that probably has a lot to do with various neuroses, but in any case, I'm borderline that finicky dandy. If my guitars were swords, I'd probably worry about getting blood on them, too.

Well, it's something I'm working on fixing. Really. They say the first step fixing a problem is to acknowledge that you have it.

There are an awful lot of finicky dandies here in PRS-land, and probably all over the guitar playing world. We've all read posts by guys who are afraid to play their guitars, and sell them because they're afraid to play them - which really makes no sense at all, since if you're not afraid to sell it, why be afraid to play it?? We read posts by players who are incensed about the slightest imperfection in their guitars.

I dunno about you, but I've yet to have an absolutely perfect guitar. People who make them are human. Non-PRS parts can have issues and fail. I mean, who can control that?

On another forum there was even a thread where someone was p.o.'ed that PRS had the nerve to paint new guitars the same color as the older one they have that the OP thought was a comparatively rare color PRS. Huh?? I sure hope that post was tongue in cheek.

Sure, like a fancy 19th Century sword, guitars are expensive. Certainly, they're beautiful! Sure, it's a great idea to keep 'em as nice as you can.

But they're not ceremonial objects to be looked at and worshipped. They weren't built so some peacock can parade around with a shiny object. Their primary purpose is to have music made with them. Everything else, including the obvious fact that they're in some ways works of art, is a secondary function.

I know this, you know this, and yet...there are times I'm that strutting peacock of a Dandy, finicky about his guitars. I confess. How about you?

Pick me, pick me (not literally of course, and if you do please use a light-gauge plectrum)...

I am fiendishly foppish myself when it comes to instrument care. I have way too many to play every day, which is an egregiously gluttonous offense in and of itself, but I try to play all of them in rotation. I wash my hands before playing sessions, wipe them down afterwards, and routinely inspect against the light for signs of imperfection. If the kids come down to jam with me, the old Ibanezes come out - or at very worst a CE with a few battle scars already...just in case. Or out of case.

I am also guilty of trying to find the "perfect beater." I admit I have spent way too much time and money over the years on this. Every time I think I have found "it" something...changes. Probably me.

I remember back in college I was gigging an Ovation acoustic/electric, and had played so hard the one night that I had bled on my guitar. I thought it was cool and never cleaned the blood off. Now I try to sneeze away from my guitars and wear soft, comfortable clothing when playing. Oh how I have changed...

I play my nice instruments a lot, and don't get upset over play wear, but I don't hand them to just anybody, and I have a couple of nice, versatile beaters for questionable situations I don't feel my nice guitars are safe in (the beaters hardly get touched except when they're needed).
But I'm weird and don't get the whole "relic" thing either. Guitars are supposed to be shiny and nice.

Tom

(sort of a repeat story for me but relevant here) I had this black Gretsch Hollowbody in 2003-04. It was beautiful. I never played it because I would wipe the fingerprints off it every time I touched it. Eventually I sold it and never vowed to own a black guitar again.

But it's been almost 9 years now with my Black Custom 22. When I bought it I was so blown away by the tone and playability that I said, black paint be damned! I'm going to play the snot out of this thing and leave ALL the fingerprints and sweat dribbles on there! And that's what I have done (unless the sweat builds up in layers and gets really grimey and gross, then I'll wipe it off).

And that was a life changing moment. I find myself seeing the beauty in older, more well used things more than I used to.

Your clothes may be Beau Brummel-y, and stand out a mile, but brother you're never fully dressed without a smile...

I only have 2 PRS at this point and I don't even take my HB out of the house unless it's a really good jazz gig with top local players, I have a frost blue 408 that is my kick around axe. It doesn't do jazz as well as the HB, and I can do blues or rock sets with it, but mostly because the HB is my shiny sword that I don't want stolen or damaged.

I fear I am somewhat guilty of this. I don't keep them cased, but I do go out of my way to make sure they stay "shiny". I guess I am overly careful with them. I know I shouldn't be, because they don't have feelings. They should get rode hard, and put away wet!

I'm reading a very good book on the Civil War by Shelby Foote, a wonderful writer who has the chops to really bring history to life. In describing the reaction of certain Southerners to one of their generals, he said they regarded him as a "finicky dandy hesitant to bloody a bright new sword."

I don't think I've read any of his books, but I very much liked his input in the Ken Burns Civil War series. I'm in the middle of watching it again as I am taking a trip to Gettysburg and Antietam next month. I'm about to breathe a sigh of relief if Congress passes the funding bill that already passed the Senate. A government shutdown, and closed National Parks would have put a damper on the trip.

By the way, I would also highly recommend books by Stephen Sears on the Civil War. I enjoy his style. It's "first person" enough to bring things to life, and not facts and figures enough to put readers off. There's a pleasant balance between the two.

I am still finding myself surprised at the number of really high end guitars (PRS and otherwise) that have had one or more owners before me, but arrive looking like they have barely been played. I have been guilty of "locking away" some really fine gear in the past and have now made it a goal to "not be afraid to play them proudly".

That said, when it gets down to dragging something up on a crowded stage for a jam, where the other folks (likely complete strangers) are playing "cheap" instruments that they do not mind dropping on the floor or banging against their amp for "effect" (okay, I might exaggerate SLIGHTLY)----Or a practice that is more about drinking beer or testing the limits of our hearing than actual rehearsal----There is just no reason to subject a beautiful guitar to it. Besides which, as much as I think the guitar has the "best tone ever", that is likely lost on everyone around, not to mention that even I will not appreciate that tone over the din.

FWIW, I do seem to get a lot of "Great tone!" comments. I TRY to make the actual playing live up to the quality of the guitar and tone. If (or how often) I succeed is a matter of opinion. :wink:

I have a few purdy PRSi. I play them just like my low end guitars. I keep fairly new strings on them but that's about it. I don't wipe them down after every practice. I don't polish off the fingerprints. Neither do I go all Pete Townshend on them, but they don't get super special treatment. I've gig'd my Artist Package Cu24. It's a tool. It's a pretty tool, but it's still a tool.

This is the best thread title I've ever seen!

That being said, I'm not overly protective of my guitars. As long as they don't sustain any injuries that compromise their structural integrity, I'm usually okay with what happens to them.

I can't have nice things for very long. I think I made it two days before taking a chunk out of my KL which Rider kept in pristine condition for 6 or 7 years. :redface:

I understand the point of this thread, and have been known to be obsessive about my guitars. I've been able to loose myself somewhat from the point I used to be with it.

As Paul himself will tell you, "Play the damn things-that's why we build 'em!"

I too fall into the finicky category, even right now I feel guilty about responding to this thread, and feel I should be caring for my guitars.

But I do take my guitars to gigs, even my new PRS.

Davy Knowles recently handed me "Ellie" in a bar so he could autograph my backplate and I was blown away by the nicks and dings all over his pride and joy. Not sure why I felt it would look/feel like new but I guess I did. That was a defining moment for me and really helped shift my perspective on my first PRS.

My year old (to me) MC58 gets played daily yet I always put it back in it's case when done. I will continue to keep it in it's case when not in use, but no longer fear it getting it's first scratch, dent or ding. That said, I want that battle scar to come from honest play and handling. Not one of my kid's friends pretending he's Pete Townshend with my PRS. My Ibanez is on a stand and readily available for that kind of horseplay..

Thanks for the thought provoking thread Les!

I've lost the desire to purchase fancy guitars since I've realized that some of my favorites to play are actually quite plain looking. That and when I'm actually playing a guitar, all I see is the edge of the fretboard anyway.
Now, I'm not planning on selling off the fancy ones I already own, and I enjoy looking at beautiful artwork like on the PS Friday thread, but a fancy finish or top wood doesn't play into my plans anymore...

I used to be guilty of this, and still am a bit. My first PRS was my 10th anniversary present from my wife. At that time I had other "good" guitars, but clearly that was "the one" and it became a "special occasion" guitar. I'd leave it in the case, sometimes for months, without touching it. It was too good to put a mark on while just messing around in my music room. Now I have 4 PRS guitars. I play 3 of them (including the original) all the time. One of the three gets played daily. But my 25th Anniversary Custom 22 Semi Hollow LTD (which was my $%th Birthday present from my wife) still only comes out rarely.

The funny thing is, I"m not hard on them at all when I play them. I'm not a banger, and even when I'm playing fast or really getting into it, I've never been wild with the pick. I never have pick marks on the tops of my guitars for example, even the ones that are played all the time. I guess when she got me the first one, I didn't think I deserved it, and I treated it more like a prize than a guitar. I'm that way a bit with the 25th LTD, but not as bad as I was. I'm afraid to even purchase a Private Stock. LOL

The only PRS I own that I bought is my least expensive one, the NF3. Since the other three were gifts from my wife, I think that may have a bit to do with how I feel about them and treat them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think I've read any of his books, but I very much liked his input in the Ken Burns Civil War series. I'm in the middle of watching it again as I am taking a trip to Gettysburg and Antietam next month. I'm about to breathe a sigh of relief if Congress passes the funding bill that already passed the Senate. A government shutdown, and closed National Parks would have put a damper on the trip.

By the way, I would also highly recommend books by Stephen Sears on the Civil War. I enjoy his style. It's "first person" enough to bring things to life, and not facts and figures enough to put readers off. There's a pleasant balance between the two.

I loved that Ken Burns series and have watched it a couple of times, and you're right - Foote did a really nice job on them, and you really hear his voice and manner in his writing. Thanks for the tops on Stephen Sears! I will check out his work for sure on your recommendation.

I read the Stonewall Jackson book, "Rebel Yell" recently, by Gwynne, who did a really nice job telling that story, too. It's a good read as well. I've been voraciously reading history for about 6 months, and am up to my neck in it! ;)

I resemble that.

I do get the "too pretty to play, not too pretty to sell", though. Why should I be afraid to sell it? I'm letting it go, it's about to become someone else's problem.

Back