Finicky Dandyism And Shiny Guitars

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by LSchefman, Sep 30, 2015.

1. guitarman001

guitarman001 New Member

You guys are killing me!

I started a similar thread on another forum a while back, questioning whether or not I should gig my PRS... The answer was "it's meant to be used" and they were right.

Some people don't like PRS because they just don't lay into them like they would a Gibson or Fender - they feel they're too precious and refrain from digging deep. This leads to folk taking a little TOO much care of them and it hurts resale values - I've seen £1k dropped off a sale because of a tiny scratch or a case that's maybe a little worn...!!! A case!! Whereas prices for battered Les Pauls seem to go UP the more they're used! Give me the used PRS any day!

I do agree in taking care of PRS as much as any other instrument but not to take it to this gig or that, or to be too pristine, keep it in the house or not abuse it like you would a Fender etc? It's damaging the reputation IMO. I buy mine to use.

2. Mikegarveyblues

Mikegarveyblues Cream Crackered

You're absolutely right!

I do view them as a tool... A highly prized one! And as you say they're an extension of that person. They're an extension of your emotional being. At the risk of sounding wishy washy, they are capable of providing a window into your soul, so to speak. Only the human voice can equal or better it.

And that is, perhaps, why it seems a shame to 'baby' it too much and keep it under wraps. Let it speak! :)

#42 Mikegarveyblues, Oct 1, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  3. Mikegarveyblues

Mikegarveyblues Cream Crackered

I think it would depend on the value of the guitar and where the gig is taking place.

If I had a PS I'd want to take it to gigs, but some places (rarely) have such a bad rep that I'd be wary of taking such a valuable instrument. At the same time I'd also rather be playing the best instrument I own. Situation dependent.

4. Goldfixer

Goldfixer Is it football season yet?

PAC12 is 9-11 in last 20 Rose Bowls.......

5. gball

gball New Member

I am extremely finicky about setup and playability, and to the end I make sure all things are in working order frequently and change strings often.
    But...that's kind of where it ends. I rarely wipe them off or otherwise fuss with polish/fretboard conditioner/etc. Maybe once a year per guitar.
    Matter of fact, I took my Mira out of its bag yesterday for the first time since a gig 2 weeks ago and even I was appalled at how disgusting it was - fret cheese, rusty strings, dried sweat and arm goobers all over it. (Left it sitting out as a reminder to clean the poor thing up and restring it today or tomorrow)

6. Kazz

Kazz Kaptain Kazz of the Triple Sickle Alliance

I'm pretty picky when buying used (at least at a high price), and I do try to take good care of my guitars and other equipment, but with the exception of something only purchased as a piece of art they're intended to be played and they should be played regardless of what that does to the finish/etc. Of course if you can avoid banging it up people like me are more likely to buy it if you decide to sell, but that shouldn't be a guitar player's primary concern.

Also, bodia's post on the last page reminded me of a Roger Waters lyric that says about all I have to say about war at the moment:

"And the Anzio bridgehead was held for the price of a few hundred ordinary lives."

It's good to know history though.

7. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules On Double Secret Probation

I pretty much agree with this word for word. And don't get me started on the relic thing. First of all, I don't want to offend anyone here and YES, to each his own. So, here is my own opinion. :biggrin:That may be the stupidest trend and "feature" that I've ever seen. If the scars are earned honestly, then it is what it is. But taking say a Fender Custom Shop strat and CHARGING money to make it look like a beat up piece of crap is beyond ridiculous IMHO. LIke going to the dealer and saying "I want to buy that beautiful new Camero SS. If I throw in an extra $20K, will you scratch it, hit it with baseball bats and dent it all up, rub sandpaper on the leather interior, crack a couple of the windows...." I really just don't get this at all. If I'm spending NEW money for something, ANYTHING, I want a new item. Furthermore (I told you not to get me started, LOL) I've owned a couple guitars for 20 and one for over 30 years, and they are in great shape. Even what they call "light relicing" is more beating than most real instruments take in a lifetime.

#47 DreamTheaterRules, Oct 1, 2015
  8. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc I like to party, mmm hmm, everybody does.

Careful. If we start the relic hate and dropping analogies somebody will tell somebody that they're wearing "Dad Jeans" and then feelings will get hurt. :tongue:

9. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Yes, I was around for plenty of Rose Bowl losses, but remember that the B1G is essentially the visiting team in every bowl. The B1G plays PAC teams pretty well at home. USC, zmichigan's long time Rose Bowl nemesis was playing essentially at home.

For or the Big Ten teams traveling to the Rose Bowl, it's also a distracting vacation/reward, following a good season. That factors in more than one might think.

10. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Not mine. I wear Grandpa Jeans. :top:

11. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

whew! Glad you didn't say anything about Zubaz pants. :redface:

12. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

As a tried and true Hawkeye, I gotta side with Les on this one (even if he is a Michigan supporter). I may be a fan of a particular B1G team, but I always cheer for the B1G team in a non-conference/bowl game. Besides, the PAC 12 has had its share of down years too! :cheers:

13. ozboy

ozboy New Member

My 3 prs guitars including the 30th ps live on stands. The 30th gets 10 hours of hard work a week. The 10 top was damaged by the guy doing a plek adjust of it. He was in a hurry and I got over it. The 25th Ann 305 was chipped by my over enthusiasm with with a polisher. Fender sell a replica strat with fake patina marks all over it.

Playing guitars does reduce their resale value but then buying guitars to make a profit is mostly a dumb idea. The real way to add value to a guitar is to become a famous player and then yor instruments acquire value. I don't see that happening to my instruments.

Regarding history books, which often seems to amount to war history the best two I have read in recent years are by Anthony Beevor "Stalingrad" and "Berlin". The joke in Berlin 1945 "think practical give a coffin". Another excellent one is Simon montifore's "in stalins court" an account of what it was like to be close to Stalin.

#53 ozboy, Oct 1, 2015
  14. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

I read both of the Beevor books you mention, and loved that Berlin joke. Haven't read the Stalin's Court book, but did really enjoy "The Devil's Alliance," a book about the Stalin-Hitler pact that got WW2 started because it gave Hitler a single front war - for nearly 2 years the deal with Russia meant he didn't have to worry about invasion from the East.

Stalin and Hitler were two of a kind, IMHO. But it does make for interesting reading.

15. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk alberngruppenführer

Me, neither.

Also, isn't it 'relicking'? I would pronounce 'relicing' as 'ree-lie-sing', meaning it's been liced before. I wouldn't want my guitars liced. Not even the first time.

16. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

I'm not big on guitars that have been made to look like antiques. That's just me. It's not my thing.

But for lots of people, antiques have their charm, even cachet. I get that.

There's furniture out there that looks like it's an antique. Some of it's kind of cool. So...I dunno. If someone wants to pay a company to create an instrument and then mess it up, more power to them. I'll pass - but at this point, I figure it's their money, do what they want.

17. BigGingerGit

BigGingerGit New Member

In the past I had many PRS guitars, I was more of a house player/collector due to awful work commitments and on call so didn't play live. These guitars were cherished, polished and always kept in the cases.
    Fast forward a few years, changed jobs, less on call, working Monday to Friday I started gigging again. My only PRS was a DGT and that was my main gigging guitar and it was in really great condition.
    I always wipe it don at gigs, keep it on a stand etc BUT that nitro coat is so thin it picked up some bumps, chips and the finish started to peel around the edge. Once it had it's first ding the pressure is off I guess, you get over it and just get on playing. This guitar is looking pretty worn now and I don't care. Why ? Well is plays the same and still feels the same and ... it's a keeper :) As David Grissom commented on mine "it's just getting good" haha.
    My used 2008 DGT I just picked up is not in perfect nick anyway, so pressure is off this weekend to gig it, I can just enjoy it :)

I quite relics myself but would never attempt to fake one, but you can't beat good old fashioned wear and tear ;)

18. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules On Double Secret Probation

I hear ya. :biggrin: It's usually "middle aged guys in tan pants" that the young guys at The Gear Page make fun of. I'm guessing "dad jeans" are a similar jab at those over the age of "coolness." LOL

I didn't mean to offend anyone. Given the forum topic and the mention of intentional abuse of instruments prior to my post, I was only trying to share my strong dislike of the whole idea of relicing. I also realize I haven't been around here long, so I shouldn't state any opinions that might be offensive in this uber politically correct society we live in. Apologies to any relic lovers out there.

#58 DreamTheaterRules, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  19. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk alberngruppenführer

I understand that -- I have an ARP 2600 I bought used, and whoever had it had painted it white so that he could change the colour of it with lights and gels. The white looked pretty crappy by the time I got it, but I never bothered with the case, because the scars were honestly won.

20. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc I like to party, mmm hmm, everybody does.

Bangin'!!!!

Pics or it's a CZ101.