Finicky Dandyism And Shiny Guitars

Gig them and play them hard, mine are workhorses :)

11794171_10154101801227564_6965352311393568085_o_zps2p0wrr1m.jpg

On a side note, my favorite part of the Ken Burns Civil War documentary was when Shelby Foote spoke. He seemed like a fun guy to be around. He could really tell stories that almost felt first account.

When considering which guitars/gear to take to a gig, I worry more about them being stolen than damaged.

Yes there's always insurance but I've got a fair bit of emotional investment in each and every one of my guitars.

Back on topic, I take care of everything I own (or that owns me...), whether it's a guitar/car/knife/couch/etc, I try to keep it in good nick.

I treat all of my guitars the same...very well. I play them and while I'm playing I don't give a thought to what my playing might do to the guitar.
I do wipe it down when I'm done and clean it more thoroughly when I change strings.

Most of them are in really good shape.

I only have 1 PS, which I play regularly. I am VERY careful with it, but sooner or later it's going to get a ding or six. I find it strange that some feel the need to diminish those that choose not to play a particular guitar/guitars , so as to not damage them. Everyone has unique tastes, none of which are "wrong". I dislike Gibson SG's and Santana body shapes, others dig it. Which one is wrong? You play your PS's all the time, some never touch them. Who's wrong?

I won't "worship" mine, but at the same time I do feel that when you own a finely crafted piece of workmanship you have an implied obligation not to treat it callously. By all means use it, but give it the respect it is deserving of receiving simply because it is someone's sweat that created the best possible instrument for making music that they were capable of. If it gets scratched, dinged, or whatever, as long as it is not careless negligence, or indifference, then it is what it is. The price you pay. But, I do agree with Tom in that I cannot get into the (stupid, IMO) 'relic' thing. That is just too artificial for my sensibilities. Earn your battle stripes honestly!

I loved that Ken Burns series and have watched it a couple of times, and you're right - Foote did a really nice job on them, and you really hear his voice and manner in his writing. Thanks for the tops on Stephen Sears! I will check out his work for sure on your recommendation.

I read the Stonewall Jackson book, "Rebel Yell" recently, by Gwynne, who did a really nice job telling that story, too. It's a good read as well. I've been voraciously reading history for about 6 months, and am up to my neck in it! ;)

Not to hijack the thread into a history topic.....I ordered the Civil War series by Foote, and the Stonewall book you mentioned. I devoured "The Civil War" by Bruce Catton when I was a pre teen. For the life of me, I tried to remember the title of that book for years. About three months ago I stumbled across one of those drawing on line and back tracked to that book. Once again I possess something I cherished as a kid. I loved the detailed battlefield drawings in that book. Went to Shiloh when I was 10 or 11 on part of a family vacation. Hooked ever since. I was the dorky kid in elementary school that was checking war books out of the library repeatedly.......Iwo Jima, Guadalcanal, Tarawa, Salerno, Anzio, 30Seconds Over Tokyo. I must have read those books three times each before the end of the 6th grade. I still like to read them now at almost 50. I've got enough one the shelves to last me until I'm well into my 70s.

My apologies for geeking out on history......back to :rock::rock:

Last edited:
I find it strange that some feel the need to diminish those that choose not to play a particular guitar/guitars , so as to not damage them.

No need to diminish anyone is expressed in my post. I feel my guitars are there to be played. I also admitted to being super-careful with them, maybe too much so for my own feelings about it.

I liked the Shelby Foote quote. It hit me in a certain way. I do think we can be too "precious" about our guitars, but I'm guilty as hell.

What's the problem? Anyone point you out by name as an example of being too careful? If not, don't admonish me for pointing myself out as a prime example.

Last edited:
Not to hijack the thread into a history topic.....I ordered the Civil War series by Foote, and the Stonewall book you mentioned. I devoured "The Civil War" by Bruce Catton when I was a pre teen. For the life of me, I tried to remember the title of that book for years.
My apologies for geeking out on history......back to :rock::rock:

No apologies needed - I love history, maybe as much as I do guitars!

Foote was a great writer, and an interesting storyteller; I think that's why I enjoy reading him. It's a shame he's no longer with us. An old-fashioned thing about him is that he wrote with a nib pen and inkwell, never used a typewriter, and a computer was out of the question.

I really liked the Catton book, too.

I've read 32 really good history books this year, (yeah, I was curious as to how many and counted them), which is more than usual, but I'm addicted to iBooks now, and I don't watch TV (except for Michigan football ;) ). Recovering from surgery, plenty of time for reading as well.

Go Buckeyes! Sorry Les.

I am the first to admit that I am a living room player and a "beginner" collector and I am very meticulous with the guitars. Wipe down before playing and after, no sharp belts and nothing left out to have dogs, vacuum cleaners or kids buddies knocking stuff over. I am looking for a "beater" to keep on a stand but I guess I am too meticulous. Granted I only have two PRS's right now but am always looking.

I am sure that if I played out, I would have a few tucked away and a few players for the road. I am also learning a lot from you guys just by reading - Thank you!

No apologies needed - I love history, maybe as much as I do guitars!

Foote was a great writer, and an interesting storyteller; I think that's why I enjoy reading him. It's a shame he's no longer with us. An old-fashioned thing about him is that he wrote with a nib pen and inkwell, never used a typewriter, and a computer was out of the question.

I really liked the Catton book, too.

I've read 32 really good history books this year, (yeah, I was curious as to how many and counted them), which is more than usual, but I'm addicted to iBooks now, and I don't watch TV (except for Michigan football ;) ). Recovering from surgery, plenty of time for reading as well.

I hope you enjoy meechigan football....until the last Saturday in November....

I remember PRS hisself saying on video that he considered his guitars as heirloom tools (to paraphrase him). I treat mine as such. My work tools are the best that I can get for my purposes. All my guitars get played as much as possible. The reason for selling is either because I don`t care for the way it plays, or I want to upgrade. This works for me, because every time I pick one up, I think about how great it`s going to be to play it. All my PRSi are very clean and well maintained, although sometimes dented. Looks are great, but little can beat the feeling of playing a fine instrument.

Go Buckeyes! Sorry Les.

I hope you enjoy meechigan football....until the last Saturday in November....

I love the Buckeyes and root for them always, except for, you know, the one Saturday when for most of the last decade or more you've whooped us pretty badly. But we're coming back, really! No, this time for sure!

I believe that the Big Ten is an underrated conference, but a strong OSU, a strong MSU, a strong Michigan, a strong Nebraska, Wiscy, NU, and PSU will raise the bar for the league and make football a lot more fun in the coming years. And I left out the other up and coming teams, like Minnesota. Iowa is often very good. I'm hoping for greatness from Maryland, Rutgers and Indiana, too! I hope I didn't leave anyone out. Wait, I did. Illinois, where are you lately?? And Purdue, what the heck happened? The Spoilermakers are living on hard times.

I love B1G football. It's just the way I'm built. Here's how far back I go: my first football game was Michigan-OSU in 1957. In those days, there was a train from Detroit to Ann Arbor that let you out right at the stadium, because the drive by car took too long. There were no expressways. From what I remember, fans had a hell of a good time on the train, and beverages flowed. ;)

I had pennants in my room for every B1G team as a boy.

Last edited:
Only when I first get them. That first ding always hurts!

They're my tools of the trade. I look after them very, very well but they are there to do a job. They'll pick up dings, get scratches, etc... So be it. Issues will only be repaired if they directly affect performance.

Now, if I had a 5k Private Stock Bernie (A man can dream, right?!) then I'd be ultra cautious. I probably wouldn't hang it on the wall. I'd do my own set ups but any other work I'd leave to a tech. I'd keep it in it's case. Certainly wouldn't take it to your typical pub gig.

But, it would get played. A lot!

One of my very favorite guitars is currently, at this very moment - 0720 hours EST - lying on the ground, in my basement, on top of my pedalboard. That guitar hasn't seen the inside of its case in months, it does enjoy traveling around in an SE gigbag. I'm an owner. I'm not a museum curator...when I'm dead, they'll know it was mine.

A beautiful guitar is like a beautiful woman. You should not hesitate to get your hands all over it as often as possible.

I'm reading a very good book on the Civil War by Shelby Foote, a wonderful writer who has the chops to really bring history to life. In describing the reaction of certain Southerners to one of their generals, he said they regarded him as a "finicky dandy hesitant to bloody a bright new sword."

You know what? The first thing that popped into my head reading this was what a finicky dandy I can be about the care of my own weapons -- namely, my guitars.

It's a great 19th century-style expression, and implies so much!

Now, before you think I have case queens, I play them every day, in recording sessions, for practice, and when jamming. 3 out of 4 are Private Stocks, and none of them are put away in vaults. They get played. But I do try to keep them as pristine as I can. In fact, worry about keeping them that way. There's a psychological thing there that probably has a lot to do with various neuroses, but in any case, I'm borderline that finicky dandy. If my guitars were swords, I'd probably worry about getting blood on them, too.

Well, it's something I'm working on fixing. Really. They say the first step fixing a problem is to acknowledge that you have it.

There are an awful lot of finicky dandies here in PRS-land, and probably all over the guitar playing world. We've all read posts by guys who are afraid to play their guitars, and sell them because they're afraid to play them - which really makes no sense at all, since if you're not afraid to sell it, why be afraid to play it?? We read posts by players who are incensed about the slightest imperfection in their guitars.

I dunno about you, but I've yet to have an absolutely perfect guitar. People who make them are human. Non-PRS parts can have issues and fail. I mean, who can control that?

On another forum there was even a thread where someone was p.o.'ed that PRS had the nerve to paint new guitars the same color as the older one they have that the OP thought was a comparatively rare color PRS. Huh?? I sure hope that post was tongue in cheek.

Sure, like a fancy 19th Century sword, guitars are expensive. Certainly, they're beautiful! Sure, it's a great idea to keep 'em as nice as you can.

But they're not ceremonial objects to be looked at and worshipped. They weren't built so some peacock can parade around with a shiny object. Their primary purpose is to have music made with them. Everything else, including the obvious fact that they're in some ways works of art, is a secondary function.

I know this, you know this, and yet...there are times I'm that strutting peacock of a Dandy, finicky about his guitars. I confess. How about you?

Just got the ME1 back from Skunkworks(PTC) and I won't play it till I get my new picking style down as any contact with the to will produce a shine.

I go "fingerless" when picking on the acoustic.

Last edited:
I have a few purdy PRSi. I play them just like my low end guitars. I keep fairly new strings on them but that's about it. I don't wipe them down after every practice. I don't polish off the fingerprints. Neither do I go all Pete Townshend on them, but they don't get super special treatment. I've gig'd my Artist Package Cu24. It's a tool. It's a pretty tool, but it's still a tool.

You took the words right out of my mouth, except that I procrastinate a bit when it comes to string changes......

I've always kind of resisted the idea that they're merely tools. I mean, of course, they are tools in one sense. Wonderful ones!

But they're a special species of tool, a musical instrument, each one lends me its voice, to become my voice. I don't know why, but I always think that's something more.

Logically, of course, any tool a human being uses becomes an extension of that person in whatever way it's supposed to be used, I know this. I'm sure it just comes down to the voice and artistry involved. But I do think of it as somehow more than a tool. Just a thing in my head...

I believe that the Big Ten is an underrated conference, but a strong OSU, a strong MSU, a strong Michigan, a strong Nebraska, Wiscy, NU, and PSU will raise the bar for the league and make football a lot more fun in the coming years.

They have been underrated for good reason (IMHO :biggrin:). Aside from last years title game, I would suggest that you look westward to the PAC 12 and numerous Rose Bowl games over the years.

Back