Finicky Dandyism And Shiny Guitars

A good craftsman takes care of his tools.

But the point is, he isn't afraid to use his tools.

The original quote was about dandies afraid to bloody their swords.

This thread wasn't about not taking care of gear. It was about not being so obsessive about it that you won't actually, you know, use it.

Then again, the thread was hijacked quite a while back, so people probably forgot the original point being made.

Last edited:
Come on man, you're missing out on great photo opportunities and stories to tell your grandkids. I'm more afraid of drunk dancers than a bar fight, as far as my gear goes (With over $1k in my pedalboard, alone, it's not cool to stumble-dance on it).

Case in point, here's our other guitarist bathed in blue light.
hacienda20.jpg

Tell me that isn't worthy of an album cover, or at least an inner sleeve! Thanks to the 20+ police officers at this bar fight, we had a blast! Though, I kinda wanted the chicken wire re-installed in front of the stage for our protection (the remnants were still mounted to the ceiling). Fortunately, I'll never play there again.

Moral of the story: bad stuff can happen to your gear but it usually leaves you with stories and photos to last a lifetime. Carry a good insurance policy. :biggrin:
well, it let me double post. Yikes!

To bring it full circle, and back to topic, it took a bad occurrence to make me let go of keeping my gear in "like new" condition. One of my Ultimate guitar stands collapsed on stage and my previously perfect Cu24 fell, face first, onto my unplugged cable. The right angle connector put 2 deep divots in the middle of the beautiful flame top, thru the finish. There also a few chips thru the finish on the back but the headstock and neck survived unscathed. It was devastating and it took about an hour for me to shake off the shock. Now I don't take any guitar that I can't bare to damage...the '56 Junior and the '71 ES-335. I'll love and care for them all like I always have but don't coddle the working guitars like I used to. Sh*t happens and I have to be realistic about it.

Last edited:
Buckle rash - unfortunately I can't avoid this sometimes, when we wear what I affectionately refer to as "the Top Gun uniform" there's no option but to have an exposed, metal buckle with sharp edges. I try to push it around to the side but yeah, inevitably I end up with some rash :(

You can see what I mean in this photo

To bring it full circle, and back to topic, it took a bad occurrence to make me let go of keeping my gear in "like new" condition. One of my Ultimate guitar stands collapsed on stage and my previously perfect Cu24 fell, face first, onto my unplugged cable. The right angle connector put 2 deep divots in the middle of the beautiful flame top, thru the finish. There also a few chips thru the finish on the back but the headstock and neck survived unscathed. It was devastating and it took about an hour for me to shake off the shock. Now I don't take any guitar that I can't bare to damage...the '56 Junior and the '71 ES-335. I'll love and care for them all like I always have but don't coddle the working guitars like I used to. Sh*t happens and I have to be realistic about it.

I still haven't let go of wanting to keep them as nice as possible -- I've had stuff touched up at the PTC for that very reason. I think if it this way: Just as with a car, I'll take it to a bump shop if it gets a dent.

But I'll still drive the car.

I don't think there's anything wrong with collecting and storing instruments, if that's what someone's into, by the way. Not at all!

It's just not what I personally do.

Buckle rash - unfortunately I can't avoid this sometimes, when we wear what I affectionately refer to as "the Top Gun uniform" there's no option but to have an exposed, metal buckle with sharp edges. I try to push it around to the side but yeah, inevitably I end up with some rash :(

You can see what I mean in this photo

What about tucking a small cloth over the front while you are playing ? or a bar towel ?

I still haven't let go of wanting to keep them as nice as possible -- I've had stuff touched up at the PTC for that very reason. I think if it this way: Just as with a car, I'll take it to a bump shop if it gets a dent.

But I'll still drive the car.

I don't think there's anything wrong with collecting and storing instruments, if that's what someone's into, by the way. Not at all!

It's just not what I personally do.

Ya know, the car analogy is a pretty good one. I'd take it a step further, and call it a truck, just because I drive one. Although my truck is more for conveneince than work, much like my guitars. I don't play out. The closest my guitars get to playing out is if I take them from the music room (aka spare bedroom) to the basement. I still like to keep them in nice condition, and I am careful with them. Same with my truck. I don't load it up and head out for a day at the site, but if I need to pick up something from Home Depot, it's there for me.

Now, if I was a working guy, or a farmer, that truck would be full of dings, dents and scratches because that's what it's supposed to be used for; work and everything that goes along with it. In that scenario, I wouldn't be concerned with the beating it was taking, because it's a tool to help me accomplish a job. That should carry over to guitars as well. Sure, there are some that shouldn't see the light of day, but the vast majority should be used for what they were meant for. Look at SRV's #1, or Snowy White's LP, or too many others to mention, beat to shi7. At some point they may be retired, but if they're an integral part of your sound, they should be played, regardless of the consequences. And, if they happen to get scratched, dented, dinged, etc, then so be it. Call it a badge of honor (honour for those of you outside of the US). Playing it should bring joy to you, and those hearing you. The battle scars that come with it have no impact on the end result!

Belt buckle rash is something that is completely avoidable. With a $300 Guitar perhaps it's not a big deal. But a $3k guitar?? Kinda foolish to let it occur.

Belt buckle rash is something that is completely avoidable. With a $300 Guitar perhaps it's not a big deal. But a $3k guitar?? Kinda foolish to let it occur.

Justmund plays as part of his military service, as I understand it.

When he's in uniform, he may not have the choices you have as to guitar-playing attire. ;)

What about tucking a small cloth over the front while you are playing ? or a bar towel ?

Then you wouldn't be able to see my wang.

Buckle rash isn't a big deal, neither is playing with huge 4 inch nail spiked wristbands.. What you really gotta look out for is lycra burn. Spandex doesn't breath very easily so if you're not careful you can wind up with a fungus.

'Bout that tool thing... I remember reading some book when I was a kid that mentioned an old mechanic who worked on cars like a Bugatti (one that was mentioned), and he was known for carefully wiping down his wrenches when finished for the day. He would not put them up if they were the least bit greasy.

That memory has stayed with me to this day. And matter of fact, I do that myself whenever I need to do a little shade tree mechanicking. My wife says I'm just too anal. Reckon I am.

Justmund plays as part of his military service, as I understand it.

When he's in uniform, he may not have the choices you have as to guitar-playing attire. ;)

Unless they have a dress code for guitars, maybe he could still put something on the back to protect it?

I could always just wear the guitar super high, like I'm playing a ukelele

Or put a double layer of painter's tape on the back? Might do the trick, you can probably keep anybody from seeing it, and should be totally harmless to the guitar.

Mind you I haven't done this and only thought of it just now...

Or put a double layer of painter's tape on the back? Might do the trick, you can probably keep anybody from seeing it, and should be totally harmless to the guitar.

Mind you I haven't done this and only thought of it just now...

The finicky dandy idea of the day for swords and guitars! :five:

I have a few purdy PRSi. I play them just like my low end guitars. I keep fairly new strings on them but that's about it. I don't wipe them down after every practice. I don't polish off the fingerprints. Neither do I go all Pete Townshend on them, but they don't get super special treatment. I've gig'd my Artist Package Cu24. It's a tool. It's a pretty tool, but it's still a tool.

I'm with this guy.
As gorgeous as my McRosie and P22 are (to me), I'll ride 'em hard and put 'em away wet. I love them and admire/cherish them but I like to play them more.

Back