Dustie Waring Signature

jiagap

Hello All,

Been playing for years, rock and jazz and cleans. Have several nice guitars but never a PRS, nor do I play metal. I was at Guitar Center last week and playing guitars in their used section and saw this PRS Dustie Waring signature guitar. Had no idea what it was. Started playing it through a Fender Blues Deluxe and it sounded amazing. The cleans! I went home and googled it and read and watched YouTubes on it. Come to find out Dustie is a heavy metal player, and apparently the guitar does that well... he tunes down to C# I understand.

Anyway, I went back and purchased it on their 45 day trial. This guitar is VERY different from all my others. I have never had a floyd rose, so this is a learning curve. The tones are delicious played clean.

My first question: The neck pickup is set quite a bit lower than the bridge pickup. Is this normal? I am getting significant volume changes in the pickup selector.

Any other tips or thoughts folk would like to share or point me to, would be much appreciated.

~ jiagap

It's not uncommon for the segment the guitar is aimed at, where they want as much output as possible from the treble pickup, but a cleaner sound for the neck.

Don't be afraid to adjust them as sounds best for your style of playing. The closer the pickups are to the strings. the more output, and bass response you will get from them.

It's not uncommon for the segment the guitar is aimed at, where they want as much output as possible from the treble pickup, but a cleaner sound for the neck.

Don't be afraid to adjust them as sounds best for your style of playing. The closer the pickups are to the strings. the more output, and bass response you will get from them.

Thanks.

Another issue. Never had a floyd rose. The guitar was tuned a half step down, so I wanted to tune it up to standard tuning. That took awhile, maybe because I don't know what I am doing. But once it was done I noticed the floyd rose had too much tension and it was not set right at the bridge. Any clues?

What gauge strings? You’re going to need to adjust the spring tension based on the tuning and strings. They can be a PITA for sure.

I still want a DW sig though

What gauge strings? You’re going to need to adjust the spring tension based on the tuning and strings. They can be a PITA for sure.

I still want a DW sig though

Probably 10-46, thats what the literature says. They may be thicker, but not thinner. I probably should just get the strings I want - thinking maybe 9-42s and have it set up by someone who knows what they are doing. If you got a DW what gauge would you use?

The floyd rose is more complicated than my basic guitars, but this thing sure sounds nice, and different from all my other guitars.

Spring tremolos (i.e. Fender-style trems or a Floyd) are a balancing act between the strings and the springs. You'll have to take several tuning passes across all the strings, especially with a Floyd, but once you have it dialed in and locked down, that sucker should be very stable until the strings die.

If you're tuning the guitar higher, you're going to have to tighten the tremolo springs in the back of the guitar to compensate for the higher string tension.

Re: Floyd Rose. Its quite a lot to go into in any detail here. I suggest searching out some YT videos.

You can set the FR with the string gauge you prefer, but there is a knack to it.

Most important concerning string changes. You must only change one string at a time. Ensure you bring the new string to correct tuning/tension before moving to the next string. When you have done a pair, lock them at the nut also.

Probably 10-46, thats what the literature says. They may be thicker, but not thinner. I probably should just get the strings I want - thinking maybe 9-42s and have it set up by someone who knows what they are doing. If you got a DW what gauge would you use?

The floyd rose is more complicated than my basic guitars, but this thing sure sounds nice, and different from all my other guitars.

I would use 9-46 hybrids. It helps on setting up and you get the Low end with sparkly highs. It took me forever to figure out the secrets of a Floyd rose. It was easier to pop a girls bra off in 8th grade than setup my guitar lol!

Re: Floyd Rose. Its quite a lot to go into in any detail here. I suggest searching out some YT videos.

You can set the FR with the string gauge you prefer, but there is a knack to it.

Most important concerning string changes. You must only change one string at a time. Ensure you bring the new string to correct tuning/tension before moving to the next string. When you have done a pair, lock them at the nut also.

Roll up a pair of socks and put them under the bridge When you change strings. It will help not dig into the body and keep close to the right level.

This was a fairly useful video for me when setting up a friends floyd. I didn’t but his tool but if I did Floyd setups a lot, he’s got a couple useful ones.

That trem wedge looks pretty useful. I went to his website and he had 4 sizes to choose from. Any clues on which one for this guitar?

Also, he strings the guitar with the ball end of the string to the neck rather than the bridge so he does not cut off the ball. That seems like a cool idea, anyone else do that and keep the ball on it?

Last edited:
That trem wedge looks pretty useful. I went to his website and he had 4 sizes to choose from. Any clues on which one for this guitar?
No clue. I just held the Floyd so it was level, measured in 64th’s and cut a small block of wood. Many use a 9v battery and electrical tape for the job. If I had any Floyd guitars, I’d look into it but I have none.

Dustie is a tone chaser and his signature guitars are awesome and I don’t even really listen to BTBAM. From cleans to high gain, it can do it all. Don’t fear the Floyd. For awhile I wouldn’t even buy a guitar if it did not have a Floyd.

Congrats on the guitar, the Custom Shop Waring may be my new grail guitar, FR on a PRS with a matte finish....

HNNNNNG!

I used to play floyd guitars back in the day but grew tired of the string changes.

I used to put ball end of the string at the tuning peg end and wrap a couple of turns before sending it to the bridge.

If you break a string at the saddle, simply cut the string at the break, unwind some string, put it back in and clamp it down.

The ball end at the tuner keeps the string captured and it's already stretched so not much tuning involved.

There is a tiny block in the saddles where it clamps the string. Be mindful of that when changing strings, they CAN fall out and get lost.

I used to play floyd guitars back in the day but grew tired of the string changes.

I used to put ball end of the string at the tuning peg end and wrap a couple of turns before sending it to the bridge.

If you break a string at the saddle, simply cut the string at the break, unwind some string, put it back in and clamp it down.

The ball end at the tuner keeps the string captured and it's already stretched so not much tuning involved.

There is a tiny block in the saddles where it clamps the string. Be mindful of that when changing strings, they CAN fall out and get lost.

I do the same exact thing. Always have tension, never slips at the tuners.

I've been using Floyds for more than 30 years. They do take a bit of patience.

You can certainly change all the strings at once as long as you put something under the bridge as noted.

For a while I installed strings with the ball end at the headstock. I was young enough to think I had invented that. :rolleyes:

You will want to adjust the spring tension and intonation pretty much every time you change strings. Take a good look at what part of the trem bridge should be parallel to the guitar body and adjust whenever necessary.

My favorite thing is spring covers that are routed to allow for adjusting the springs without removing the cover.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ibanez-Tremolo-Cavity-Spring-Cover/dp/B07NLH2YDB
I've had covers routed like this when it wasn't available from the factory.

After a few string changes the maintenance adjustments become second nature. I can change strings and make adjustments in about 10 minutes.

I usually change strings, tune to pitch, pull on each string to stretch it, tune to pitch, then leave it overnight. In the morning I tune to pitch, play a little, especially with bending licks, tune to pitch and lock the nut.

Before locking the nut, make sure all the bridge fine tuners are set to a middle position so you have range to raise and lower string pitches.

Thanks for all the tips. I have decided to take it in to a pro for new strings and set up and pickups leveled. I generally use 10-46 but thinking of going down a notch (9-42) to see if I get better playability - just wondering if I will be sacrificing too much tone? The guitar specs say 10-46 - am I making a mistake? Thoughts? I don't play heavy metal or drop D tuning, or as Dustie does C# tuning. I play cleans and crunch mainly - rock and blues in standard tuning.

Also, I have been wondering about the pickup selector and what is actually happening. My guess is:
  • position 1 = the bridge HB
  • position 2 = bridge split coil
  • position 3 = neck + bridge HB
  • position 4 = neck split coil
  • position 5 = neck HB
I am open to hear if this is correct or if I am missing something.

Again, I appreciate all the feedback. This is a unique guitar in my harem.

Back