Finally, I´ll go for my first PRS!

Jacl

Hi, everybody!

I hope you´re all doing well.

So, I will finally buy a PRS guitar. So far I´ve been playing with my old (but great) Ibanez PF350 and I really want to buy a PRS.

These are my "targets":
- SE Custom 24
- SE Custom 24 Floyd
- CE 24
- CE 24 Dustie Waring Floyd

Ok, being married and in spite of having a lovely wife, I have always to consider the SE models (Lol!). Now, let´s see what kind of music do I usually (try to/like to) play:
- Pop/Rock
- Blues
- Progressive Rock/Metal (mostly Dream Theater)
- Satriani, Vai, etc.

Although I like the overall SE models, I´m quite more inclined to CE 24, particularly the Dustie Waring Floyd one. I do believe that CE 24 would be a great value for what the guitar is but due to the fact of playing Prog Rock and Satriani, Vai, I believe to have a Floyd Rose model would be better. Still, taking in account that to restring a FR it´s a pain, I´d like to ask to you:
- Do the CE24 models keep their tuning stability with tremolo use?

Thank you!

Best wishes!

I haven’t played one, but out of those 4, I’d go for the Dustie, it probably suits you best too,
Thanks.

Well, I kind of think that if CE24 would have a good tuning stability in spite of tremolo use, it would be my choice. I do think that Dustie is quite a beauty but I prefer the clean sounds of the CE24. Those coil split ones are quite amazing!

My CE holds its tuning really well, even with trem use. I also think the 85/15 pickups in the CE would handle everything you play really well! And you're right about the coil splits! :p good luck!

I don't own a CE (Yet...it gets here in a few days!!!!) but from everything I have seen and heard, the trem is great and holds tune really well. That said, the standard trem isn't really designed for dive bombing and some of the more aggressive stuff you'd hear in Vai or Satriani style music the way a Floyd is.

^^^ I agree with @Vic6string , the standard trem is great but probably not the best choice if you’re gonna be aggressive with it. I’ve got plenty of PRS with trem, and they work superbly for less extreme trem work, but if you really throw them around, tuning will drift, in my experience, even with fine tuning the nut, locking tuners, etc. Some guys will say they can get them rock solid for anything, and maybe they can, I just know what I can get them to do.

Also, overall, strongly recommend anything from the USA line over the SE line, if you’re looking at similar guitars, like SE Custom vs CE24. The SE’s are really great, but the quality, tone, and much of the hardware on the S2’s and CE’s is superior.

My CE holds its tuning really well, even with trem use. I also think the 85/15 pickups in the CE would handle everything you play really well! And you're right about the coil splits! :p good luck!
Yeah, completely amazing! Thanks.

I'd grab either the CE or the DW. Both great guitars, for sure.
Agreed! It´s not being an easy task, deciding between these two guitars. Custom 24 Floyd would be the perfect choice but it´s out of reach if I want to keep my marriage. LOL

I don't own a CE (Yet...it gets here in a few days!!!!) but from everything I have seen and heard, the trem is great and holds tune really well. That said, the standard trem isn't really designed for dive bombing and some of the more aggressive stuff you'd hear in Vai or Satriani style music the way a Floyd is.
Yes, that´s precisely what´s holding me from going for CE24. Again, a Custom 24 Floyd would be perfect but that´s not an option. Thanks!

Last edited:
^^^ I agree with @Vic6string , the standard trem is great but probably not the best choice if you’re gonna be aggressive with it. I’ve got plenty of PRS with trem, and they work superbly for less extreme trem work, but if you really throw them around, tuning will drift, in my experience, even with fine tuning the nut, locking tuners, etc. Some guys will say they can get them rock solid for anything, and maybe they can, I just know what I can get them to do.

Also, overall, strongly recommend anything from the USA line over the SE line, if you’re looking at similar guitars, like SE Custom vs CE24. The SE’s are really great, but the quality, tone, and much of the hardware on the S2’s and CE’s is superior.
I understand. That´s why I asked for tuning stability of CE24. Maybe they think about making one CE24 Floyd with the same electronics in the future. SE would be a good purchase but I also agree they are miles away from CE´s. Thanks!

Sounds like the CE Dustie is what you would prefer. I would also recommend something from the S2 line or CE's over the SE.
Guess I have to agree. But it´s not being totaly clear to me that I should go for it. The overall versatility of the guitar (mostly the quality of clean tones) is making this hard to decide. And yes, again, SE most certanly won´t be an option. Thanks.

Agree. I haven't played a DW, but probably need one. If you're really into a Floyd, I'd go for that one.

And who is this "Dream Theater" band you speak of?
I don´t know them either. Guess their guitar player is a guy named Petrucci...! He is good enought? LOOOL

Thanks.

I don´t know them either. Guess their guitar player is a guy named Petrucci...! He is good enought? LOOOL

Thanks.
I mean, if you are into that kind of thing, I guess it's ok.

The choice between a CE24 and Dustin would boil down to preference . The standard PRS trem is quite stable. The choice will boil down to
- do you prefer thinner neck and higher output pickups (Waring) or fatter neck, more versatile pickups (regular ce)
- Floyd or regular PRS trem
- gloss body finish or satin (Waring)
- maple or rosewood fretboard

With my current preferences I would go Waring but these differences are distinct enough to make one pop to most

Agreed! It´s not being an easy task, deciding between these two guitars. Custom 24 Floyd would be the perfect choice but it´s out of reach if I want to keep my marriage. LOL
I have two of these, and they are fantastic! Selling one in black/gold finish if interested. These and the CEs are both solid choices

I have two of these, and they are fantastic! Selling one in black/gold finish if interested. These and the CEs are both solid choices
Hi!

Selling a PRS Dustie Waring CE24, Black Gold Smokeburst?

Back