Dustie Waring Signature

Thanks for all the tips. I have decided to take it in to a pro for new strings and set up and pickups leveled. I generally use 10-46 but thinking of going down a notch (9-42) to see if I get better playability - just wondering if I will be sacrificing too much tone? The guitar specs say 10-46 - am I making a mistake? Thoughts? I don't play heavy metal or drop D tuning, or as Dustie does C# tuning. I play cleans and crunch mainly - rock and blues in standard tuning.

Also, I have been wondering about the pickup selector and what is actually happening. My guess is:
  • position 1 = the bridge HB
  • position 2 = bridge split coil
  • position 3 = neck + bridge HB
  • position 4 = neck split coil
  • position 5 = neck HB
I am open to hear if this is correct or if I am missing something.

Again, I appreciate all the feedback. This is a unique guitar in my harem.

Billy Gibbons has played 7s and 8s and his tone hasn’t suffered. I wouldn’t worry about it. Says the guy who has switched to 10s almost exclusively...

Last edited:
I believe the wiring matches a core C24 Floyd.

Pickup Switching Positions:

Position One: Bridge humbucker
Position Two: Bridge humbucker with neck singlecoil, in parallel
Position Three: Bridge and neck humbuckers
Position Four: Neck singlecoil with bridge singlecoil, in parallel
Position Five: Neck humbucker

I believe the wiring matches a core C24 Floyd.

Pickup Switching Positions:

Position One: Bridge humbucker
Position Two: Bridge humbucker with neck singlecoil, in parallel
Position Three: Bridge and neck humbuckers
Position Four: Neck singlecoil with bridge singlecoil, in parallel
Position Five: Neck humbucker

can anyone confirm this, and if so, give me some rationale for this kind of set up so I can better understand it?

I just got my PRS back from a pro set up. I put 10's on it. It plays wonderfully and sounds spectacular. I know I have said this before, but this is a unique guitar so different from my others. First floyd rose,

Billy Gibbons has played 7s and 8s and his tone hasn’t suffered. I wouldn’t worry about it. Says the guy who has switched to 10s almost exclusively...
Agree! Play what feels best to you and adjust everything else from there!

A Floyd-equipped guitar w/ 9s is what we call the 80s! :D

Seriously, I’m running 9s on my JS1200 and it sounds sublime. Also have 11s on my DGT, 9s on my CU24 and 10s on the rest. There are no rules! Enjoy!

A Floyd-equipped guitar w/ 9s is what we call the 80s! :D
So you're saying I need one of these? I've thought so since they came out. Fell into the Axis before I could buy one. But if I ever see one to try, I'd imagine it could be "game on."

I DO NOT FEAR THE FLOYD!

Back