Dreadnaught or 000?

LSchefman

Historical Entity
Hmmmmm. I thought it is more which is more comfortable to play.

And my answer is 000
The dreadnaught was invented to give players more volume and bass, especially in bluegrass music where there aren’t a lot of instruments but you want volume.

For recording, especially in a dense mix where other instruments take bass parts, and volume doesn’t matter because the guitar is miked, the OOO is preferred by many players.

I like a larger SJ size maple guitar because it’s got a lot of clarity and balance, but also cuts in a mix.

Comfort is also a consideration, of course! If you can’t play the thing, it does no good to own it!

matonanjin

The dreadnaught was invented to give players more volume and bass, especially in bluegrass music where there aren’t a lot of instruments but you want volume.
I did not know this and had the order backwards. I thought the 000 came after the dreadnaught and that it, the 000, was designed purely for comfort.

Thank you.

LSchefman

Historical Entity
I did not know this and had the order backwards. I thought the 000 came after the dreadnaught and that it, the 000, was designed purely for comfort.

Thank you.
Good thing I was already well into playing guitar in 1916 to know this stuff!

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to buy any acoustic whose tone I liked. But...

I would want to play and hear the acoustic first. That's because, for me, the tone comes before any other consideration. I had an Artist model PRS acoustic before I ordered the PS, so I knew what to expect. Even then, my dealer sent a clip before delivery.

I totally respect anyone's reason to pick a given body size. But I do think playing is believing.

Last edited: