NAG - New Angelus Day

Dirty_Boogie

Still got the ol' tagger on it
It's Fall in New England, and what better color choice for my new Angelus A50E in Fire Red Burst that I picked up today. Not as bold as a dreadnaught, but very clear and focused. Feels wonderful to play - loving it!

J1xNJ7C.jpg

WbkiUJ0.jpg

RryY138.jpg

qF0sFba.jpg

Been searching for one of these and had I seen that one, I would have grabbed it! Congrats on a great score!! Cheers to many years of string ringing!!!
The story behind this... Saw one in my local Guitar Center in the Boston area. It was in the "good guitar" room, but being GC, it played and felt like cr@p. Rusted strings, high action, completely dull sounding. I was completely underwhelmed. It was during their October guitar promotion (I forget what their silly name is) and the price was fantastic, but even at that price, I wasn't convinced a new set of strings would have made much of a difference on that guitar. Fast forward a week... I was in Houston on business last week, and stopped by a GC there. In the good room, they had the same guitar, hanging up high on the wall, where grubby hands couldn't get to it. Played it, and it was perfect - clear tones, played beautifully, and felt just as a PRS should. It was November, and back to list price, but the sales guy agreed to give me the promotional price. I couldn't fly back with it, as I had too many bags, but they said they'd ship it to my local GC. I said great, but make sure I get this one. Delivered a few days later, and I open the box, only to find another beat up Angelus, tarnished strings, the Fishman electronics fallen out in transit - it was shipped from another local store. Couldn't believe it - was so pissed! Good salesguy at the store said he'd call Houston ("Houston... we have a problem") and make sure they ship the one in stock, if they still had it. I opened the box at GC today with trepidation, but the guitar gods were good to me - this is the one I played. :) Pretty much "par for the course" for a GC purchasing experience, but this worked out well in the end. Haven't stopped playing this afternoon - learning Opeth's "Closure" (probably the most beautifully sinister sounding song ever recorded on an acoustic!)

The story behind this... Saw one in my local Guitar Center in the Boston area. It was in the "good guitar" room, but being GC, it played and felt like cr@p. Rusted strings, high action, completely dull sounding. I was completely underwhelmed. It was during their October guitar promotion (I forget what their silly name is) and the price was fantastic, but even at that price, I wasn't convinced a new set of strings would have made much of a difference on that guitar. Fast forward a week... I was in Houston on business last week, and stopped by a GC there. In the good room, they had the same guitar, hanging up high on the wall, where grubby hands couldn't get to it. Played it, and it was perfect - clear tones, played beautifully, and felt just as a PRS should. It was November, and back to list price, but the sales guy agreed to give me the promotional price. I couldn't fly back with it, as I had too many bags, but they said they'd ship it to my local GC. I said great, but make sure I get this one. Delivered a few days later, and I open the box, only to find another beat up Angelus, tarnished strings, the Fishman electronics fallen out in transit - it was shipped from another local store. Couldn't believe it - was so pissed! Good salesguy at the store said he'd call Houston ("Houston... we have a problem") and make sure they ship the one in stock, if they still had it. I opened the box at GC today with trepidation, but the guitar gods were good to me - this is the one I played. :) Pretty much "par for the course" for a GC purchasing experience, but this worked out well in the end. Haven't stopped playing this afternoon - learning Opeth's "Closure" (probably the most beautifully sinister sounding song ever recorded on an acoustic!)
Wow! So glad that worked out!! I guess that ups my commitment to make sure I play "the one" before I lay down the cash!!! Can't wait to get my hands on one, but I am in a very remote location, so playing one anytime soon is unlikely ;~(( Probably February or March before I am near any stores to try some out!!! Rock on Dirty_Boogie and thanks for sharing the photos and the story!!!!

Dang GC! I just gave them praise the other day too. They sure do make it tough on themselves.

Some work but a heck of score for you!!! Congrats!

I do buy some things from GC but it is like shooting fish in a barrel. The way they sell used gear is a joke one tiny pic and one word for the condition.
Sometimes I have got lucky sometimes not.

Beautiful guitar, congrats!

The quality of the A50E's (really, all the SE acoustics) are so far beyond their price-point, it's simply mind-blowing to me.

I really love how you can see the natural curl in the maple back through the sound hole on yours. What a fantastic guitar!

Beautiful guitar, congrats!

The quality of the A50E's (really, all the SE acoustics) are so far beyond their price-point, it's simply mind-blowing to me.

I really love how you can see the natural curl in the maple back through the sound hole on yours. What a fantastic guitar!
Thanks! I love this guitar. Never been much of an acoustic player. Always had a low-end acoustic, but would only play it a few times a year. This Angelus has inspired me to learn more acoustic material. I just have to accept that PRS guitars just feel so natural to me!

Thanks! I love this guitar. Never been much of an acoustic player. Always had a low-end acoustic, but would only play it a few times a year. This Angelus has inspired me to learn more acoustic material. I just have to accept that PRS guitars just feel so natural to me!
I've never owned an acoustic, probably should add one of these to my list. Congrats and I'm glad you're finding it so worthwhile and fun!

Back