Dreadnaught or 000?

Go for boring.

hb9MUm7.jpg

YzQPfw5.jpg
The light and the pick tricked me into thinking you had an unusual inlay.
The tonare is a nice guitar. Yours and mine are overdue for a play date.

That’s far from boring.
Then I failed miserably! Because I wanted something that would blend in on a session unnoticed (except for its tone)!

After 9 years, though, the top is just starting to achieve that nice, warm, tan color older guitars earn. I like that. The pic I posted is from a few years ago.

You could call it your “stealth” acoustic.
Yes, that's exactly what I wanted it to be!

I mean, it looks nice and not cheap, but it's not showy, either. I would be utterly embarrassed to pull out a showy acoustic in a session with other players. The folks I hire to play with on sessions are too good, and I'd feel weird yanking out an obviously expensive 'custom made' guitar.

I fully realize that other people might feel differently, but I'd feel uncomfortable.

Last edited:
Laszlo, where I come from that's showy..
Probably is.

When I placed the initial order, I wanted it unstained, natural, like a J200 or my earlier Collings SJ. Very few session players even noticed the difference, and most thought it was 'just a guitar'.

But after the order went in, during the build, my dealer got a call from the folks in the PS department, who said, "Seriously? Les wants a one-off, custom instrument with nothing to distinguish it? Is he sure that's what he really wants?"

So my dealer called and asked me to verify. The PS folks had recommended this Smokey Blonde shade as reasonably subtle, and I realized maybe I was being stupid insisting on something that looked truly ordinary.

In retrospect, yeah, it's showy enough that I now regret not going with Tiger Eye or similar. But...I was on a mission. What can I say?

Heck, I couldn't even afford your couch. :)
All I had to do to get it was sacrifice a few things. Like...food. ;)

Personally, a D28 (or HD28 in my case) is a perfect all around style of acoustic, so dreadnaught is my very-much-after-the-fact vote. Mine is the most evenly toned acoustic I have owned.

I also like Taylor’s GA size also, if you want a brighter overall sound for your mix. I’m not sure what about that construction makes it so, but it has more top end shimmer, which can be useful.

If you can handle the size and can get your arms around a D28 or D45 and feel comfortable, that's probably my favorite acoustic guitar sound.

Spruce and Rosewood.

But all of my acoustics are smaller. OM, OOO and Grand Auditorium.

I like Breedlove Concerts which are a Grand Auditorium size but I do have a Concerto which is the same depth as a D28.

All of my acoustics have rosewood back and sides and a spruce top except for one Breedlove Concert that's redwood and rosewood.

The redwood and rosewood Concert is my favorite.

Last edited:
Have one. The D-18GE is a fine guitar. Mine is resting in a closet, secure in its case.

Back