Dreadnaught or 000?

Hmmmmm. I thought it is more which is more comfortable to play.

And my answer is 000
The dreadnaught was invented to give players more volume and bass, especially in bluegrass music where there aren’t a lot of instruments but you want volume.

For recording, especially in a dense mix where other instruments take bass parts, and volume doesn’t matter because the guitar is miked, the OOO is preferred by many players.

I like a larger SJ size maple guitar because it’s got a lot of clarity and balance, but also cuts in a mix.

Comfort is also a consideration, of course! If you can’t play the thing, it does no good to own it!

The dreadnaught was invented to give players more volume and bass, especially in bluegrass music where there aren’t a lot of instruments but you want volume.
I did not know this and had the order backwards. I thought the 000 came after the dreadnaught and that it, the 000, was designed purely for comfort.

Thank you.

I did not know this and had the order backwards. I thought the 000 came after the dreadnaught and that it, the 000, was designed purely for comfort.

Thank you.
Good thing I was already well into playing guitar in 1916 to know this stuff!

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to buy any acoustic whose tone I liked. But...

I would want to play and hear the acoustic first. That's because, for me, the tone comes before any other consideration. I had an Artist model PRS acoustic before I ordered the PS, so I knew what to expect. Even then, my dealer sent a clip before delivery.

I totally respect anyone's reason to pick a given body size. But I do think playing is believing.

Last edited:
I plan to buy a guitar, can you advise what is better to take to start. I have a very big desire to learn how to t
I find the smaller body much easier to play. Just for that, it would start playing acoustic on a smaller guitar, then go bigger if I needed the different sonic profile after getting comfortable playing acoustic.

Personal choice, but I’m a dreadnought guy. I just like the shape better - purely appearance thing, and don’t find much of a difference otherwise. They’re both big bodies. Pickup and play whatever you buy before you buy it - especially with an acoustic. Good luck and good journey.

I plan to buy a guitar, can you advise what is better to take to start. I have a very big desire to learn how to t

I find the smaller body much easier to play. Just for that, it would start playing acoustic on a smaller guitar, then go bigger if I needed the different sonic profile after getting comfortable playing acoustic.
Exactly what veinbuster said especially if you are smaller guy, which I am. I have two Martin 000's and a Seagull S6, which is dreadnaught size. I always grab one of the Martins purely because it is more comfortable. I probably haven't played the Seagull in more than a year and should sell it. It's a really nice guitar, especially considering it is a cheaper one.

If you're a bigger guy, it may be different. You should try and get into a store and hold different sizes if you live in an area that has stores close. I know you said you "have a very big desire to learn how to...". Even if you don't play explain to the salesperson you are deciding what to buy and want to see what is comfortable. If he senses a sale he will probably be more than willing to help.;)

To the above, I started not long ago. I’m left handed. I wasn’t sure whether to play left or right handed. The local store my said just come in when you are free over the next month, and try left and right handed guitars. You’ll know which is right after a few visits. Worked out right handed for me. A local shop ought to be happy to let you do the same with various guitar sizes.

Go for sexy. :cool:

Go for boring.

hb9MUm7.jpg

YzQPfw5.jpg

Back