Doug Diamond from Wild west guitars.

In general as every piece of wood will accept stain a little differently, this is the only realistic way to go. That's why it is important to match the grain of the top with a top you already like color of to the extent possible. No one can guarantee the exact shade because of this variability, and I don't blame them for pushing back a little on promising an exact shade. I do think some colors are more forgiving like my favorite (Charcoal smoke burst) and for me that is a consideration when picking a color.

It can be done by adjusting the stain to the top. Its just a matter of if the builder will actually do it. A few people have actually gotten pieces of wood sent to them to pick from. Its why I always specify it in my request before I get a price, so that the time involved will be taken into consideration. I do not want to open up that bag of worms again though. It can be done, its all a matter of if it will be. I would rather pay for a few extra hours of the stainers time and get it dead on if that is an option. Again, that is why I make sure to state it before I get a price, not after, like some of my customers do to me. :mad:

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by markie
Was that a$$ on the PSF Thread?

:eek:

:dontknow:

:rofl:

There are always a few in every crowd. You cant even compliment someone without them twisting it into a discussion of mens arses!!! :eek: :mad:

;)

Back