Doug Diamond from Wild west guitars.

Tag

This is one seriously cool dude. Forget the California talk, and all the hype, long hair and salesman attitude you feel at first. Scratch the surface even the smallest amount, and what comes out is a blatantly honest, caring, good hearted man. He would HONESTLY rather lose a big sale than to see you disappointed in the end. In this economy, that is a VERY tough thing to do. I am working with him on my PS order, and am being told what changes to make, and guided in ways I do not really want to go, but I totally understand the reasoning because of his clarity and honesty, that these are the right choices to make. If I do not like them, my 25% deposit will be refunded right away. Sometimes the truth hurts at first, but in the end, it will work out for the best. Some major changes are taking place in my PS order, and in the end, I am sure they will be the right choices.

Thanks Doug! A true class act. :rock:

Both of the PS guitars I have worked on with Doug exceeded expectations and another is in the oven. One of great things about Doug is that he understands and respects the process that goes into planning a PS guitar, and as you pointed out Tag, he hangs in there until the right choices have been made to make sure that it is a spectacular instrument.

Last edited:
I have been to their location and they have quite the selection of PRS guitars. They let me play different guitars for over 2 hours without any questions. Good people.

Doug just sold me my CU24 30th. He's a class act all the way. His persona in the youtube videos is WAY over the top!!

Tom

Care to share the choices made and lessons learnt on the PS? Any tips? It would be very interesting I reckon.

We talked for a long time about custom orders in general, not just PRS, but with other companies as well. It seems it should be a very exciting, fun, somewhat simple thing to get exactly what you want, but its not. My earlier experiences are not all that abnormal, and communications between dealer and builder are not always easy. Again, this is not just PRS, but custom orders with builders in general. The simpler and more common the guitar, color, options you choose, the less the risk of mistake. (Obviously) No matter how much he would like to, he could not guarantee a few stipulations I had asked for would be met. Everything was agreed upon already, but his "gut" feeling told him otherwise. Sooo.. I am changing the build type from an artist 3 semi hollow trem, to a more modern Cu 22 semi hollow trem LTD. (My second favorite PRS ever, and I already have my Pomegranate Artist 3 anyaway) The only other worry I have, is the color. They will not 100% agree to do color samples on the top I choose. They will 75% agree to it! Which leaves me with I am going to get the pomegranate (or other color) the way it turns out on that day. I can then refuse the guitar when it shows up, but Doug will be stuck with it. I am trying to find a color that I will like even if its a few shades different that what i order, but thats not an easy thing to do. I would go natural, and that gets rid of ALL color problems, but I am just burnt out on natural guitars. Had to many natural archtops over the years. If I cant find another color, I will just have to convey to them when I pick the woods how important it is to get the color as close as possible, and hope for the best. Doug is going to speak to them one more time about emailing me out color samples on my top. If they agree, the rest is easy. Its going to be a Custom 22 semi hollow LTD with a wood bound F hole. Artsit 3 purfling. Brazzy neck, Americana birds and matching headstock eagle with banner, phase 3 tuners, Quilted maple top and headstock overlay in pomegranate, brazzy board, 57/08s, WF, Matching Mahogany back plates (ribbed mahognay back), quilted maple tuning buttons in pomegranate, ebony knobs and McCarty switching with pull pots to allow all pup combinations. Cu 22 semi hollow LTD frets and neck radius. I would also like LTD written in script pau shell on the truss rod cover like the artist 3s had artist 3 written, and pau purfling around T rod cover as well. Side dots in pau. Thats pretty much it i believe. I think in the end, it is better to have two different guitars anyway. If I got another artst 3 semi holow, I am sure I would fall into the A/B which one sounds better thing, and waste hours and hours on it. Going this route, I will have a very different guitar than the 2 I have now, and that is actually a good thing! Most importantly, you know its a PRS, and the quality is going to be about as good as it can get, and the guitar is going to sound and play impeccably. thats what keeps bringing me back!!!! :rock:

Doug just sold me my CU24 30th. He's a class act all the way. His persona in the youtube videos is WAY over the top!!

Tom

Yes, but right underneath that is one very genuine and decent man. I have never had a dealer spend so much time trying get something right. being in business for my self, i always feel a bit awkward, because i know how problematic some people can be, and have no problems wasting hours of your time for virtually nothing. I always try and keep problems as short and quick to the point as possible, whenever that is possible.

If I cant find another color, I will just have to convey to them when I pick the woods how important it is to get the color as close as possible, and hope for the best.

In general as every piece of wood will accept stain a little differently, this is the only realistic way to go. That's why it is important to match the grain of the top with a top you already like color of to the extent possible. No one can guarantee the exact shade because of this variability, and I don't blame them for pushing back a little on promising an exact shade. I do think some colors are more forgiving like my favorite (Charcoal smoke burst) and for me that is a consideration when picking a color.

Back