Does your PRS make you a better player?

I'd say YES!!! As a guitar salesman, I always tell potential customers to get something to inspire the player to play, especially a newby. (So they'll pick it up more often) And if there's one thing I don't want to put down, it's my PRSi!!!
Totally agree. It’s the inspiration you need to keep playing/practicing!

I don't know what this says about me but....:oops:......I PRETTY MUCH SUCK ON ANYTHING BUT A PRS.
(...but then I sometimes suck even with a PRS)

Every once in a while I'll run across a really nice axe made by someone else but it's rare. At this point I don't even try many other types of guitars unless I see a real interesting Jazz box, and pretty much play what I have. On top of that, I've been this way for a while so non PRS guitars are almost foreign to me now.o_O

I played Gibson for over 30 years. First a '63 SG Junior and in later years a Firebird Studio. When I was tempted to try a Bernie 2.5 years ago I was AMAZED at how easy it was to play particularly as I thought I didn't like fat necks. I've had my S2 Singlecut for about 6 months now and it's even easier to play than my Bernie. My hands just fly around it. These are the 2 guitars I take to all gigs now. The Gibsons are not being played.

A photo in another thread reminded me of some differences (and that I haven't posted this one in a while):

headstocks.jpg

Yes. Period.

I still spend time with my Gibsons because I'm stupid. Every time I play with my PRSs everything is where it should be, everything sounds better, my fingers fly faster, my bends are more accurate...

Where all these You Tube channels you guys have been hiding from me? :)

I know... technically, a shitty player is still a shitty player.

But there's something to be said for playing a nice instrument, that seems to improve your performance.
I say this, because I've found that since getting my PRS (2 weeks ago), my playing abilities have improved.

Maybe, it's because I'm playing more, maybe it's because the guitar is easier to play, maybe it's all in my head.
I don't know... I just wondered if anyone else has experienced this phenomena.

Do you feel you play better, with your PRS in hand...?

Yep but I think its because I enjoy the instrument so much that I practice more on it, hence it makes me a better player.

I guess, for me, the guitar is not fighting me like other guitars (that have had quality control issues) have in the past. I know the PRS is going to do what its supposed to do and is going to sound like its supposed to sound all day long; I dont have to worry about quality issues, the frets, the neck, etc... everything is going to be right when I pick the guitar up.

All I have to do is pick it up and play. No thinking. Just play.

I'd say yes. Mostly because it's solidly built well made, comfortable and light weight so it doesn't pull me into a poor posture over long practice sessions, especially when seated. I like all my guitars but they all have slight niggles. A bit heavy here, slight nose dive there or slightly narrow neck on some import guitars that makes chord shapes slightly more cramped near the nut. It's mostly small things that combined make my PRS slightly more playable.

Last edited:
Back