Does anyone prefer PRS in plain finishes?

Oh yea! I love it when PRS sprays a bunch of solid color paint over a Maple top just as much as I love it when I miss the nail and slam the hammer into my thumb or when I get all the way to work and realize that I forgot my damn badge or I get home and realize that I forgot to buy what it was I went to the store to buy in the first place!

Oh yea! I love it when PRS sprays a bunch of solid color paint over a Maple top just as much as I love it when I miss the nail and slam the hammer into my thumb or when I get all the way to work and realize that I forgot my damn badge or I get home and realize that I forgot to buy what it was I went to the store to buy in the first place!

Thank you for your input...

I had never previously seen a guitar with black covered pickups on it that looked good. You have shown me why they exist. That's fantastic!

Here's another example of black covers on a non-PRS, this is one of my Spawn Custom Shop Guitars.

I've always assumed they used solid colors on the maple tops that didn't make the grade. So it's never bothered me, but I could be mistaken.

I don't just prefer them, I actively seek them out. I have owned 4 USA and 6 SE PRSi and none have had a figured maple top with a transparent finish. Current:

Some of the past ones:

GoldtopWithP92.jpg

I assume that's a Lindy Fralin in the neck position? How did that pickup sound?

If it's got a high quality well figured top then I'm happy. I prefer the solid colours over the lightly (poorly?) figured tops on the S2 range.

I've always assumed they used solid colors on the maple tops that didn't make the grade. So it's never bothered me, but I could be mistaken.

That's been my understanding (my logic anyway), but maybe they just grab whatever isn't "10" stock. I went with a transparent finish on the two core models I've had because I figured "Hey, it doesn't cost more, so why not?"

If it's got a high quality well figured top then I'm happy. I prefer the solid colours over the lightly (poorly?) figured tops on the S2 range.

I'm a big fan of the lightly figured tops on the S2 guitars. I miss the original McCarty model back when they used plainer tops.

I assume that's a Lindy Fralin in the neck position? How did that pickup sound?
Yeah, that's a P-92. It's one of my all time favorite pickups, especially in the neck. Every neck pickup I tried in this particular guitar didn't have much in the way of clarity, except this one. It was perfect. This is still the nicest guitar I ever owned. I regret letting it go, but the way it was built (with a solid IRW neck), through my particular rig, just didn't cut through the mix enough in a band setting. By itself it was the best sounding guitar ever.

I sold it to a buddy of mine, who later moved to LA, and recently he posted a pic of himself gigging with it on Facebook. I'm really happy it's got a great home and gets played.

custom paint
4791311917_43aa099225_b.jpg

back in black
4625914460_4717b3d732_b.jpg

That's actually the same guitar. Bought black to make it white. I have another black one with birds, which reminds me, I gotta do a yin/yang kinda pic.

Last edited by a moderator:
My gut reaction is that I like plain as much if not more... Having said that, out of a "bunch" of guitars, the only one that's plain is:

DSC_0096_zpsd055aafb.jpg

DSC_0094_zpscdc65860.jpg

DSC_0220_zps9e03bca6.jpg

And even there, it has a little bling going on.... I'm still saying I like solid tops as much...

Last edited:
I have an SE that has a nice figured top. About a month ago, I did a blues gig with a local well known singer who's pretty damn good. We got the crowd up and into it, and cheering. As we were coming off after the last tune, he accused me of being one of those rich white assholes who brought his PRS to show off his money to the crowd. A month later, i show up to another gig with my good old plain Mira. He was as nice as could be to me. Go figure.

For the third gig, bring something fancy and when he flips out, tell him to GFY !

I completely get where your coming from, guitars by Fender, Epiphone, Jackson, ESP/LTD, the flat colors do look rather unnatural and plastic. For the most part though, a lot of solid color PRS do look pretty nice. There are a few exceptions where it just doesn't seem to work so well though. I recently checked out a Hollowbody II in white and was just completely turned off.

I recently checked out a Hollowbody II in white and was just completely turned off.

I agree about the white. It hides the guitar. A gold top is another thing all together. It really highlights the carve of the HB II and is pretty darn cool. I am considering cashing in my PS funds and ordering a SC245 Aritist Package with a rosewood neck and of course a gold top. The rosewood neck is just the cats meow. So much more sustain and it feels so good. The gold top, the bound brazzy fingerboard, rosewood neck, hybrid hardware should just kill it in sight and sound. I am hoping they will stain the back an amber color. To get back on point, my only grief with opaque colors is that the guitar can look anemic with the natural back and opaque top. A stained back on most opaque colors will enhance an opaque top in my opinion.

White guitars are awesome, don't care what anyone says. They also look bad ass on stage. Rather than sucking in lights(like most colors), they reflect it and almost glow.

Back