Does anyone prefer PRS in plain finishes?

Stonelands

I have to say, Antique White is honestly my favourite PRS finish. Most flame tops looks really plasticky to me, on Gibsons and PRS though I have seen a handful of exceptions, including my Gibson 335 where I think the flame looks really good. I don't know if I've ever seen a PRS PS that appealed to me, maybe only one or two. Anyone else feel the same way?

I've always associated PRS's with a figured top, whether that be flame or quilt etc... As a result, the more flame the better for me!! I like solid colours too, just don't really associate PRS with solid colours (Having said that, i'll happily take a seafoam green Mira!!)

Looking at my current PRS list, I'd say that statistically I must... do trans finishes on mahogany count as "plain" ?

Really, I chose the guitars I've got because they are awesome in general, not because I thought I "preferred" the finish...

Looking at my current PRS list, I'd say that statistically I must... do trans finishes on mahogany count as "plain" ?

Really, I chose the guitars I've got because they are awesome in general, not because I thought I "preferred" the finish...

Yes. fair enough. I guess I'm kind of assuming a hypothetical case of "all things being equal" besides a different finish.

As much as I dig nice figured tops, the only PRSi I have is my Brent Mason in Whitewash. That was actually my second choice of finish--my first was natural Korina, but I wanted a rosewood fretboard and didn't want to wait months for a special order, so I got the Whitewash. It looks great too--I've always loved white-blond Teles, and this is pretty close. I'd love to have one of those Private Stock Brent Masons, but that's more than my budget will stretch to.

I like plain top Les Pauls and simple hog guitars.
But...there are (frequent) exceptions to those rules.

I don't just prefer them, I actively seek them out. I have owned 4 USA and 6 SE PRSi and none have had a figured maple top with a transparent finish. Current:

2013-03-22213937.jpg

Some of the past ones:

2014-02-07180817.jpg

1.jpg

IMG_20110316_133916.jpg

GoldtopWithP92.jpg

Interesting point. While I really enjoy and appreciate tastefully done 'fancy' woods & finishes, I've noticed that I've lost the desire to own/play them (on a personal level..), and am more and more attracted to 'plain' guitars lately.

I still think my DGT standard is one of the most gorgeous guitars....ever....

prs%2520dgt%252001.png

gc%2520plat%252005.jpg

I absolutely prefer plain/solid color finishes. My Mira is black, and with my SE-245 I chose one that had the least amount of flame in the top. My LP is a plaintop sunburst and my SG is a simple rubbed finish. The only guitar I am currently considering buying is a PRS CE that I found that is solid burgundy.

Interesting point. While I really enjoy and appreciate tastefully done 'fancy' woods & finishes, I've noticed that I've lost the desire to own/play them (on a personal level..), and am more and more attracted to 'plain' guitars lately.

prs%2520dgt%252001.png

gc%2520plat%252005.jpg

Yeah I had this ones twin and miss it. Simply gorgeous in person. Subtle and classy.

I've always liked/preferred the look of the solid black guitar. When I got my LP Standard, that's what I had to have--such a classic, badass look. That said, there are a few finishes that would be in serious contention for my scrilla if I was buying ... I really dig the violin and charcoal PRS finishes.

And xjbebop, I'd likely never buy a white guitar...never really appealed to me. But, that is one awesome looking white axe!

Last edited:
I modded up a PRS SE7 to be all blacked out and I really liked it aesthetically. Not the best player 7 so I moved on from it. I think the solid finish really works for that guitar though, better than the flames or quilts which I am not a fan of on the SEs.

Intellectually, I think the opaque tops are very cool, and I especially want a gold top.

Emotionally, when it's time to empty the wallet and actually take a guitar home, I always go for the figured tops.

prs%2520dgt%252001.png

gc%2520plat%252005.jpg

Love this. Reminds me of a science fiction film and in a very good way.

I have an SE that has a nice figured top. About a month ago, I did a blues gig with a local well known singer who's pretty damn good. We got the crowd up and into it, and cheering. As we were coming off after the last tune, he accused me of being one of those rich white assholes who brought his PRS to show off his money to the crowd. A month later, i show up to another gig with my good old plain Mira. He was as nice as could be to me. Go figure.

For sure! I love white, gold, sparkles, and other opaque colored guitars. There are of course exceptions, but I kinda feel like super figured tops are less inline with my present fashion aesthetic.

I have a bunch of PRSi with figured tops. But of all my guitars these two see the bulk of my playing time along with a non 10-top Purple Hazel Studio.

Navarro Sig.

DGT Sig.

Back