Does anyone prefer PRS in plain finishes?

As much as I like my flame and quilts, a simple piece of Mahogany or Korina can be just as beautiful...

339573308.jpg

I think one of the reason I prefer plain tops over most flamed ones is I really can't stand mismatched tops and I'm not a fan of the split down the middle of a two piece top at all. I actually kind of like some of the Santana model flame tops more for this reason since you can't really the inlay lines seem to kind of cancel this out on some of them.

I think one of the reason I prefer plain tops over most flamed ones is I really can't stand mismatched tops and I'm not a fan of the split down the middle of a two piece top at all. I actually kind of like some of the Santana model flame tops more for this reason since you can't really the inlay lines seem to kind of cancel this out on some of them.

Wood has to be split to be book matched. It's split along its thickness, and then when the "book" is "opened," the grain on each side has fibers running opposite to one another. This opposite grain direction can make even perfectly matched pieces appear to be unmatched to the untrained eye.

Also when the wood is carved, slight differences in the depth of the wood also create the appearance of differences. This is simply a natural consequence of a deeply carved top.

It's an old art taken from woodworking furniture. I personally love it. PRS occasionally has one-piece tops available, but I love the look of the book matching.

Last edited:
Wood has to be split to be book matched. It's split along its thickness, and then when the "book" is "opened," the grain on each side has fibers running opposite to one another. This opposite grain direction can make even perfectly matched pieces appear to be unmatched to the untrained eye.

Also when the wood is carved, slight differences in the depth of the wood also create the appearance of differences. This is simply a natural consequence of a deeply carved top.

It's an old art taken from woodworking furniture. I personally love it. PRS occasionally has one-piece tops available, but I love the look of the book matching.

Guess it just doesn't work for me, probably the reason why I like the flame on my 335 is due to it being a one piece.

This thing has actually made me wonder if I'm OCD or something, the way 2 piece ones seem to just niggle at me.

Last edited:
I LOVE looking at figured tops, i think of them as works of art. My CE22 is very plain looking guitar but I would NEVER part with it. Flame or quilt maple tops always catch my eye but what it really boils down to is how does it sound?, how does it feel? That matters the most to me.

I like less-shiny things with more wood grain too.... if I could just find one of these 22 fretters with a trem...

prs-standard-22-satin-295755.jpg

Back