Does Anyone Here Mic Their Amp Successfully?

So I waited a bit to give my 2 cents
First how did you know the FOH mix sounded bad ( IE were you out front of the speakers during your set ? )
It should only take a minute it dial in something EQ/level wise FOH , I have also had plenty of "musicians" that have NO IDEA the sound out front is FAR different than what they were hearing onstage ( not meaning you as I don't know you :) )
There should be no issues with a decent PA to get your guitar sound out most PA systems have far more power and a better frequency response than any guitar cab.
As far as your sound on the stage THAT can be an issue Most floor/wedge monitors are Very flat sounding EQ wise. I used to use a 1x12 cab next to my floor monitor so I could get my sound back to me with only vocals and bass in the monitors
I have had my best luck live sound wise with the mic ( SM57 ) 6-8 " away from the cone at a 45 degree angle to the side of the speaker. or using a direct box out of the extension out of my amp.
Happy Jammin !!

First how did you know the FOH mix sounded bad ( IE were you out front of the speakers during your set ? )
It should only take a minute it dial in something EQ/level wise FOH , I have also had plenty of "musicians" that have NO IDEA the sound out front is FAR different than what they were hearing onstage ( not meaning you as I don't know you :) )
There should be no issues with a decent PA to get your guitar sound out most PA systems have far more power and a better frequency response than any guitar cab.
As far as your sound on the stage THAT can be an issue Most floor/wedge monitors are Very flat sounding EQ wise. I used to use a 1x12 cab next to my floor monitor so I could get my sound back to me with only vocals and bass in the monitors
I have had my best luck live sound wise with the mic ( SM57 ) 6-8 " away from the cone at a 45 degree angle to the side of the speaker. or using a direct box out of the extension out of my amp.
Happy Jammin !!

I'm not the OP, but in my case, yep...I do regularly go out FOH, both during setup and less regularly during sets. And to be clear, the FOH mix is usually good (when we are in control of our mix anyway). It's just the quality of the guitar sound coming out. I dunno...maybe it's me and my wonky tastes. I have no problem at all with the quality of sound that I get when mic'ing a cab to record, so it isn't mic placement, nor mic quality. Since I have access to (relatively) decent PAs in my warehouse, I've had a chance to experiment with just me, my amp mic'd through the PA, and a nice long cable so that I can wander around and listen. It's just...flat for lack of a better word. Heck, for that matter, guitars on recordings played out through the PA sound flat in comparison with what you hear from a guitar through a decent cab. To me, the difference in tone between what comes out of a mic'd cab through a PA would never be mistaken for what's coming out of the cab itself, regardless of how much I tweaked the EQ.

Don't get me wrong....the audience is just as happy (or happier) with a decent mix with everything through the PA, and from many practical perspectives, it's the only way to go often. In my experience though, with proper amp placement and volume control, the FOH mix can sound great with amps/cabs providing the source of FOH guitar sound without the loss of depth that comes from running everything through the PA, for small clubs anyway. And to me, that's particularly true when we're playing places where volume control is emphasized.

I do realize that the overwhelming conventional view is the exact opposite though....and this is just my opinion formed from limited experience in comparison with many on this forum.

Happy Jammin !!

I was doing the mixing while standing out front. I played with my head in front of the amps, and dug the sound; then I stood out front and tones coming from the pa sounded 2 dimensional.

Aristotle explained what I was hearing almost verbatim to how I would describe it!

Back