Does anyone else prefer to keep their guitars stock?

Keepers tend to end up getting modded, ones I'm unsure about tend to stay stock to make selling them easier.

An often misunderstood reality of used guitars is: a $500 guitar, to which you've added $500 in mods, is worth...

...wait for it...

$500.

Maybe $550 if you manage to find a buyer who loves all the mods you did, exactly the way you did them, or if they are universally recognized as appropriate and superior (like a Mastery trem on a Jazzmaster), but even then you won't get the cost of the guitar + cost of parts + labor, which is what lot of people seem to think.

Sorry if I rained on anyone's parade, or pooped in any one's punch bowl...or any combination of those metaphors ;-)

Keepers tend to end up getting modded, ones I'm unsure about tend to stay stock to make selling them easier.

An often misunderstood reality of used guitars is: a $500 guitar, to which you've added $500 in mods, is worth...

...wait for it...

$500.
I love it when they say upgrades. It's only an upgrade to you. To me it's a mod. Agreed, on a gray area like core pickups in a se/s2 or a MannMade bridge. Those have value to me and are quality, but your GFS pickups and musically bridge? Do you still have the stock parts? :)

And GTFO on labor charges.

I’ve changed the pickups in one. The other three are stock and I have no urge to change anything on them.
They all have Schaller strap locks on them.

...wait for it...

$500.

Maybe $550 if you manage to find a buyer who loves all the mods you did, exactly the way you did them, or if they are universally recognized as appropriate and superior (like a Mastery trem on a Jazzmaster), but even then you won't get the cost of the guitar + cost of parts + labor, which is what lot of people seem to think.

Sorry if I rained on anyone's parade, or pooped in any one's punch bowl...or any combination of those metaphors ;-)
You're being fairly generous. If the original parts aren't also being included, I would often argue that $500 in mods would net you a less valuable anything.

Stock! Limiting myself to my core models, why would I change my DGT, NF3 or DC3? I bought them specifically because they are what they are. All three have a unique voice and the build is faultless. Hotrodding is fun as a hobby in itself but I prefer to choose carefully and then play.

I drive with @bodia on the same train. It depends on the guitar and some occasions.
My first guitar was heavily modified, top veneer and more.
My second guitar got as the major modification a pickup swap from passive to active.
My third is unmodified (Parker Fly Deluxe).
My fourth is heavily modified (new electric wiring, new knobs, new tips, new tuner buttons, wooden back plates).
My fifth is a Partscaster. It speaks for itself.
My sixth was an Ibanez RG, the bridge pickup was broken, therefore a replacement was installed. Guitar was sold.
My seventh guitar was custom made, minor modifications (Phase III tuners instead of Sperzls).
My eighth guitar is modified (new tuners, new nut, new pickup rings, new switch tip, new knobs).
My ninth is unmodified (Reverend Gristlemaster Greg Koch Signature).
My tenth guitar is custom made and minor modified (swapped the original Bigsby spring to a smoother Reverend).
My eleventh guitar is heavy modified (new double locking vibrato system, new knobs).
My twelfth guitar is custom made and minor modified (wooden switch tip instead of a plastic).
My thirteenth guitar is modified (wooden tips, wooden back plates).

I do buy guitars for being played and not sold.
If decision has made for selling, the buyer must accept that they are out of original stock.

Last edited:
All mine are stock - but then I bought them because they had everything I wanted from that guitar.

Of course each to their own but I wouldn't buy something I wasn't very happy with - especially not expensive items. Therefore, I have never felt the need to replace/mod something...

Modding guitars has made all the difference from liking and wanting to love a guitar to a forever guitar. Two that instantly jump out to me are my SAS and KL33. I'd probably be living on the streets and sitting on a milk crate playing on a corner before I'd sell them.

I instantly bonded with both for playability, but neither had the tone I was after. They sounded good, but not on the same level of playing enjoyment. After a serious pickup swap fest.. They are absolutely perfect, and I'm blown away everytime I play. Never going anywhere.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say I prefer keeping them stock, but at this point in my life I AM tired of modding. My #1 is a pretty heavily-modded tele. But my last 2 guitars are a DGT and and EBMM Luke III. The only thing either guitar "needed" done to it (to suit me), was to put a de-mud mod on their neck pickups, to reduce low end. These days I'd rather spend more $ on a guitar that needs nothing than a cheaper one I could mod to my heart's content. I've done plenty of modding in my my day. Maybe now, after doing that for years, I know what I like, so I only buy what I like.

I'd love a #2 tele, and I wouldn't mind doing pickup swaps, but no tele currently available has the specs I would want in order to spend the money, and I'm not interested in a partscaster. I'd love a tele body with a belly contour, humbucking or noiseless pickups, modern C neck with 22 frets... the new Ultras come the closest, but they have no color I'm interested in.

If strap locks and TRCs count, then I am on the mod side. When I get a guitar in and decide it’s a keeper, then I may consider other changes if it means love of liking. Pickups and electronics or other component changes depends for me. I need to confirm that the guitar feels right to keep it . I tend to buy used though so there may be thoughts of certain pickups before I make the purchase, but it has to have the feel before I do anything. i love everything about my Westie, Hollowbody II Singlecut, and wood libraries. My singlecuts, Vela, and CE24 are fair game to experiment with.

Reactions: Jo-
Back