Does anyone else prefer to keep their guitars stock?

Lightning Boy

I know I'm weird but I prefer to keep my guitars stock. The few times I've made modifications, I regretted them shortly after. I always buy new rather than used- mostly because I got tired of being burned by the jacked-up guitars people unload on unsuspecting buyers but also because it's pretty difficult to find a used guitar that hasn't been modded.

Anyone else like this or am I the lone weirdo? ;)

I know I'm weird but I prefer to keep my guitars stock. The few times I've made modifications, I regretted them shortly after. I always buy new rather than used- mostly because I got tired of being burned by the jacked-up guitars people unload on unsuspecting buyers but also because it's pretty difficult to find a used guitar that hasn't been modded.

Depends on the guitar.
I have bought several guitars with the intention to modify. But I also have two that will never see modifications. One is a Guild Pilot Pro 5 bass. They stopped making them and they are very nice quirky basses with a bit of a cult following. The other is a Ken Smith Black Tiger bass, which is perfect as is.

I'm an occasional pickup swapper (but pretty rarelely), and I generally prefer to have locking tuners if the guitar doesn't already, but its always a crapshoot whether I will make that change or not lol. So overall mostly stock

My core models generally stay unmodified (although I changed just the tuning buttons on my PS). My SE are fair game. That said, in the world of guitar, I find that outright "upgrades" are few and far between, especially for pick ups. A lot of times we view things are upgrades just to justify the price we paid for it, but most of the time its just different rather than better. I would say the best and easiest clear upgrade would be solid locking tuners.

Mostly stock except for the cosmetics, and nothing that couldn't be easily returned to stock state if desired. But never say never...

Once I buy my guitars they stay stock for a very long time. I like to get to know them and push them to the limit. And only then, maybe years later, it's when I may consider swapping pickups, pots or some other minor modifications, always looking for some more edge in the sound dynamics. And I never change anything cosmetics related.
I always keep the original parts, just in case I need to revert the changes for selling it...but I have never sold any guitar, so...

Depends for me. Mostly I do like them stock if possible--including those strap buttons that y'all hate--but I'll take some liberties with the less-collectable/valuable ones when the time is right.

For instance, the Modern Eagle and/or the Westie--I ain't touching them. But a random Custom 22 or McCarty with less-significant resale value... sure, I'll try some new pickups or whatever.

As much as I love prs guitars there isn’t really a single one that ticks all the boxes for me stock so I always have to do some sort of modification. Usually means I have to mod the electronics to get 2 volume pots (customs and silver skies).

Dream guitar that would never ever be modded: private stock hollow body 24 with tremolo bridge and 594 control layout

I have made changes, cosmetic only, to exactly one PRS guitar (heck, one guitar ever, IIRC): my 2014 SE Zach Myers Spalted Maple top that looked really good in black pup rings and switch tip, and with pup covers.

Everything else (other than a couple TRC swaps, one to return to the correct stock TRC) is as I got it. And that is pure stock, AFAIK, except in one singular case: my Core Santana signature has EVH Wolfgang pickups (and sounds really good, btw) installed by a previous owner. There may be changes made to pre-owned guitars I have, but I'm not aware of them and otherwise assume they are stock.

About 1/3 of my guitars were acquired bland new - the rest are pre-owned acquisitions.

I don't swap pickups. I don't replace electronics, except when they fail (I did put a new pup selector switch in a Godin Freeway).

I don't know why, but I'd rather use the guitar as-created and explore what makes it different vs swapping out pups to make it sound just like every other guitar I have.

Maybe I just don't trust my own soldering skills and I'm too cheap to take it to someone else to modify.

Oh, I just remembered one other guitar I had modified - my Norman acoustic came without any kind of pickup, so I had a piezo pickup installed under the bridge.

And now that my memory is working, I installed a pickup in a mandolin myself (K&K type, drilled out the end pin), and added an adhesive-type pickup to a mandola (which works remarkably well).

I am kind of in both camps. Most of my guitars are stock. I do have a few that If I had left them stock, I probably would have sold them. My modifications are always easily reversed. I have done a few pickup swaps and some wiring changes and a few tuner button changes. The pickup changes I have done took the guitars from something I really like the feel of but didn't like the tone of to something I won't ever sell so they were worth it to me. I still have the stock pickups and would put them back in if I were to sell the guitars. They would be just like they were when I bought them. I tend to buy new more than used but I am not afraid of a used guitar in like new condition.

What mods did you regret?

Back