NGD: New to me PRS SE Custom 24 7 String Vintage Sunburst

AkiraSpectrum

It's been about 10 years since I've been interested in 7-strings but have never pulled the trigger on one, until now. This is officially my first PRS!

Background:
I have been in love with the lower register since I was first interested in playing guitar. However, I have always opted for grabbing 6-strings and down-tuning because it was always easier to get a 6-string I liked than go on the hunt for a 7, simply for the fact that 7-strings aren't as common and are less likely to be in music stores. Originally, I took the plunge on a used 6-string baritone in order to get down into the B standard, Drop A, Drop A# range with an ESP/LTD Viper Baritone 300. Great guitar, but the 27" scale was too uncomfortable for me. I eventually sold the guitar and picked up an Ibanez RGA121 H CDO (25.5") for these tunings, running a 13-59 gauge set. Overall I have been happy with this instrument to get me into the lower registers but always missed losing that higher string.

Present:
Lately, I've been loving going into local music stores to play their PRS guitars (mostly S2's, some used Cores, and a few SE's). After realizing that I couldn't justify the money on an American PRS I went scouring Kijiji for used SE's because the SE's I have played, especially those made in the last 3 years have been fantastic. I saw a PRS 2012 SE Custom 24 in Whale Blue for a good deal and almost grabbed it, however, I wasn't overly keen on another 6-string guitar (I already have 4, all spanning different tunings) that I would just put in standard. Due to my being in grad school I don't really have much time to play my guitars and having two guitars in standard just seemed like a waste at this point in my life. Then, I find a PRS SE Custom 24 7-String from 2013 on Kijiji for a decent price....

Purchase:
After talking down the seller from $575 to $450 I grabbed this fantastic instrument! In Canada these guitars go for $869-$999 new, and this instrument is in excellent shape and didn't appear to have an excessive amount of play time on it.

Construction:
The build quality of the instrument is top notch and is what you'd expect from guitars coming out of Korea (on par with my LTD EC-1000). Frets are done well with no sharp ends.

Playability:
-Definitely the nicest playing 7-string I've played. One of the reasons I never grabbed a 7-string was because a 25.5" scale with an extra string just made it too difficult for me and my small hands to feel comfortable playing chords near the nut, especially now that the 26.5"+ scales are becoming the norm. The most comfortable 7 string I've played up until recently had been the LTD H-1007 but the 25" scale length of the PRS is just so comfortable to play all over the fretboard; no straining needed, yet doesn't feel crammed either.

-The neck profile is like the ESP/LTD Thin U had a baby with Schecter's Thin C, extremely comfortable!

-The 25" scale isn't near the problem I thought it might be. The seller said they put on a 10-46 + 60 (although they admit the 60 could be a 62) and I had no excessive floppiness from B standard to Drop A, even Drop G# was quite usable.

Sound:
This is the only downside of the instrument. Overall, when it comes to 6-string playing on this instrument the sound is fantastic, very warm, not harsh, yet still has some power to it. The issue come about when adding the 7th string to the mix. I'm guessing that the combination between the pickups (which have a fair deal amount of low end and low midrange) combine with the 25" scale produces this deep low mid grunt and sludgy tone. Depending on your style of music this may be less an issue than it is for me, seeing as how I like playing high gain and using a lot of power chords. For those playing Prog/Djent styles this will likely be less of an issue.

-After spending some time adjusting the pickup height and turning up the presence and treble a lot on my amp sims I was able to dial back some of the low mid grunt, although it is still noticeable. Overall, it isn't a deal breaker for an instrument that excels in all other departments. Although I'm in no hurry, maybe down the road I will throw in some tighter pickups to try and counteract the excessive low end.

Conclusion:
The PRS SE Custom 24 7 string has been the most impressive 7 string I've played in its price range. The 25" scale and neck carve are very comfortable and make playing a breeze, although the 25" scale coupled with the stock pickups will give you a muddy low end in high gain situations (but a pickup swap or spending time playing with settings on your amp and OD pedal can help to mitigate this issue). I definitely recommend giving this instrument a fair shot to anyone looking for a 7-string that deviates slightly from the norm. This guitar has been granted permanent residency in my stable
hbang2.gif

Pics:
Didn't get a chance to clean the guitar so it is a little dusty....

1933851_10101298318716491_7457758015534576216_n.jpg

67441_10101298318896131_6247248721064486958_n.jpg

10749954_10101298318786351_6432453163305625855_o.jpg
10697145_10101298318776371_3504869046424571516_o.jpg
12365970_10101298318796331_252873619229624468_o.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats, and welcome to Club SE7!

Just did a minor upgrade on mine a little bit ago - popped US pots in it. Didn't change the 3-way blade. I've thought about different pickups, but to this point, haven't felt the need.

One of my goals is to try to play the 7 more. It's fun playing songs that aren't in the 7-string wheelhouse and change some chord voicings to take advantage of that low end.

Thanks!

I think the reason why I grabbed the 7 string over another 6 is because the 7 offers me new creative avenues in playing that aren't available when just drop-tuning a 6 string. Very excited to be able to spend some more time with it in the coming days!

i have the same guitar coming in within about 2 weeks for the same reason as mentioned above.

anyway: happy new guitar day!!

Cheers from another 24/7 club member. That was smart of you to try to dial in the pickup height, I don't know what else to tell you.

Congrats. I think I may be buying one of these soon as well, so I appreciate the review.

Recently upgraded my PRS SE7 with Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentient pickups. Originally, I was waiting for the Alpha and Omega set but I noticed that they are quite a bit more expensive than the Pegasus/Sentient and these were already at the very top of my budget. Not to mention, I knew I liked the Pegasus/Sentient and they wouldn't be as much of a gamble as the Alpha/Omega set, especially considering the price difference.

While I really liked the HFS/VB pickups for the first 6-strings the HFS was absolute mud-city on the 7th string. As the HFS-7 was almost all low end and low mids any 7th string notes were very massive and deep, which tends not to be the sound most 7-string players look for, especially nowadays, unless you're actually going for a super sludgy tone. Any adjustments made via EQ and so on helped but I still couldn't get rid of the muddiness without making the other strings thin and shrill in the process.

Because I was told Dimarzio's needed to be routed to fit the cavity of an SE-7 I decided to go with Duncans. Having purchased a Pegasus/Sentient 6-string set for an Ibanez I have in Drop A# and really liking the results i figured I'd go for this set in the PRS SE7. The Pegasus definitely clears up the low-end muddiness and makes the 7th string more present without any excessive or overbearing bass like the HFS. The Pegasus does have a low-mid growl though, and when coupled with the PRS SE7 25" scale you definitely get a fair amount of 'body'. This, I noticed, can be EQ'd out relatively easily, especially if you use an OD pedal; but in no way is it absolutely necessary to do so. Again, in comparison to the stock HFS-7 pickup, the Pegasus is night and day way less muddy and much more focused and clear.

I must say I prefer the Pegasus in my Ibanez though (Mahogany body as well) as it seems to have a little more attack and bite, likely due to the slightly longer scale length. The Pegasus is a great pickup for a lot of different styles, but definitely excels in the progressive/prog-rock/prog-metal department. While it isn't very aggressive or high in output, an OD pedal can clear all that up in a few seconds, and the benefits of the Pegasus' design really shine through (great string clarity, easy to shape tonally, versatile....)

The Sentient is absolutely amazing in this PRS SE7. While I like the Sentient in my Ibanez it doesn't compare to the Sentient in the PRS SE7. In the PRS the Sentient is fantastic for lush cleans and, unlike in the Ibanez, gives a beautiful 'liquid' tone for high gain leads. The Sentient in the Ibanez seems to be more single-coil like (brighter, more jangly and crispier, almost strat-like).

Overall, the pickup swap made a large improvement over the stock pickups, which in my opinion, are suited for 6-strings, not 7's. Definitely much happier with tone on this beast.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the best thing about the Pegasus is that it is even across all 7-strings, so unlike a lot of 7-string pickups, you don't sacrifice tone on the first 6-strings (especially the treble strings) to get a good tone on the 7th string.

C468E2MWcAAs6QS.jpg
C468IMIWYAARLkB.jpg

Last edited:
Cheers to that. Yeah, I tend not to play chords much in the lower registers, it's as hard to do as playing chords on a bass.

Cheers to that. Yeah, I tend not to play chords much in the lower registers, it's as hard to do as playing chords on a bass.

I found that the PRS SE7 is the only 7-string I can play chords on the lower registers on without issue. I think this is largely due to scale length and neck shape. This is the main reason why I have the SE-7 as its one of the most comfortable 7's I've played.

Funny you should mention this. I just ordered a set of the Alpha and Omegas. I really like them in the Holcomb SE.

Awesome, be sure to post a review when you get them!
Would have loved to try the Alpha/Omegas but I'm still quite happy with the way the Pegasus/Sentient turned out.

I found that the PRS SE7 is the only 7-string I can play chords on the lower registers on without issue. I think this is largely due to scale length and neck shape. This is the main reason why I have the SE-7 as its one of the most comfortable 7's I've played.
I agree! What I meant was, it's really hard to get it to sound like a chord, and sound good, and I think it's the pickups. I was re-reading the beginning of the thread. If anyone finds a way to do this, I'd be all ears. I don't think it's just the pickups, I think the electronics and, for that matter, the amp, are important as well. One of the reasons I love my Rivera Quiana 4x10 combo is because it's the first amp I've ever actually heard the individual lower strings on. I think overhead everywhere along the chain is important.

I agree! What I meant was, it's really hard to get it to sound like a chord, and sound good, and I think it's the pickups. I was re-reading the beginning of the thread. If anyone finds a way to do this, I'd be all ears. I don't think it's just the pickups, I think the electronics and, for that matter, the amp, are important as well. One of the reasons I love my Rivera Quiana 4x10 combo is because it's the first amp I've ever actually heard the individual lower strings on. I think overhead everywhere along the chain is important.

Definitely, string clarity is impacted by the entire system, not just the pickups. I find amp and pickups are the largest contributors, but you're right, most everything plays a part.

Back