Do you use an overdrive pedal for your rock lead sounds?

Here’s my Box of Rock.

I’ve long been fascinated by this pedal. What amp(s) were you playing it through? Did you rely on the pedal as your primary distortion/boost function? What other pedals (if any) did you pair it with?

I’ve long been fascinated by this pedal. What amp(s) were you playing it through? Did you rely on the pedal as your primary distortion/boost function? What other pedals (if any) did you pair it with?
My amp was a Marshall 100 w and this pedal was my primary source of distortion. It sounded really good though. I could almost make this puppy growl.

Here’s my Box of Rock.

Always been curious about Zvex. How is it?

Btw, right now I have five od's.

CMATMODS Signa Drive
CMATMODS Butah
Fulltone RTO
Lovepedal Eternity Burst (pcb)
Bogner Mini Ecstasy

All of em are great, the Signa has been my fave for a while. The RTO is pretty great too.

I have given up on my pedal board. It’s in a million pieces in a box. I am feeling rather intimidated trying to do it myself but what is the worse that could happen?

When my pedal board was in order, it provided me with so many crazy sounds. I used to love to experimenting.

I have a boutique amp now. I am set but not for life. I really want a Mesa Boogie. That or a Egnater 30

I have given up on my pedal board. It’s in a million pieces in a box. I am feeling rather intimidated trying to do it myself but what is the worse that could happen?

When my pedal board was in order, it provided me with so many crazy sounds. I used to love to experimenting.

I have a boutique amp now. I am set but not for life. I really want a Mesa Boogie. That or a Egnater 30
I felt the same way too about pedalboards. Ive been collecting them for about two years now, since I was able to...well, not kill my wallet so badly. I've only recently been putting them together. I just took a whole weekend and was like "that's it, I'm gonna learn this". So far, not as bad as I thought. It's been fun.

Well the other guitar player was going to put it together for me. That’s not happening anymore.

Honestly I am going to try myself.
Bummer. However, try doing it. It looks intimidating but it's not that bad. There's general guidelines for it, but really there is no wrong way to set it up. You can do it!

If worse come to worse I will phone my local guitar shop and ask for guidance. And if the shite really hits the fan then I will take it to my local music store and get them to do it.

If worse come to worse I will phone my local guitar shop and ask for guidance. And if the shite really hits the fan then I will take it to my local music store and get them to do it.
Also look up some some other peoples boards too. Can give you some ideas. Eric Johnson likes running delay into the amp instead of via an fx loop, which is kinda unorthodox but the results are...well, you know. :)

So what order do you put them in?
The way mine is setup is like this, and disclosure...it's a bit messy. I had to redo it quickly to have it ready for a gig because something went haywire.

Wah and envelope filters first, followed by compression. Next are your drive pedals. This can sorta be any order... technically, but the suggested path is clean boost, od, distortion, fuzz. On mine I just stage OD pedals of various settings into each other. Next comes chorus, flange, and reverb/delay. I go delay into reverb, but is subjective.

Last edited:
I have I think 8 pedals. I haven’t looked at them in 3 years. I will get them in some semblance of a pedal board. Take a picture of them. I have a necessary evil I must attend to and that would be work. Lol

The way mine is setup is like this, and disclosure...it's a bit messy. I had to redo it quickly to have it ready for a gig because something went haywire.

Wah and envelope filters first, followed by compression. Next are your drive pedals. This can sorta be any order... technically, but the suggested path is clean boost, od, distortion, fuzz. On mine I just stage OD pedals of various settings into each other. Next comes chorus, flange, and reverb/delay. I go delay into reverb, but is subjective.
This is currently what is on my board in order after the guitar:
Wah
Fuzz
Treble Booster
Compressor
Equalizer
Heavy overdrive
Medium overdrive
Light overdrive
Modulation

The following are in an effects loop:
Delay
Reverb/Tremolo

Fuzz pedals and treble boosters like to see the guitar signal first.
I have tried compression before and after overdrive and it sounds better before them IMO.
Since I use the eq pedal as a boost, I put it before all the overdrive pedals. Again, I have tried it after but I like it there best.
I like my overdrive order from most gain to least gain. The last overdrive in the chain can also function as a boost, so I can get three levels of boost with either the treble booster, eq pedal or an overdrive/boost. Actually, the compressor can function as a boost as well!

That's pretty much how I do it too.

Polytune Tuner > Wampler Ego compressor/boost > Tumnus "Klon" > Klon KTR > Hot Cake overdrive > Dover Drive "fuzz" for Eric Johnson violin tones > Strymon Timeline for delay/modulation (and a little chorus when I want it) > Hall of Fame Reverb to one or two amps.

While I do love pedal boards and how sound enhancing they can be. That’s another rabbit hole for me personally.
Its a fun rabbit hole to go explore. There are several Electro Harmonix pedals I'd really love to try like the Sitar one and the keyboard thing.

Lola, I think you might enjoy this. These guys do lots of videos about pedalboard building, but here's a link to a video about building your first pedalboard (I realize you've had a pedalboard before).

I've been building boards for a long time, and I do like their approach and advice. I learn from them frequently, despite my experience!

A couple things to note:

1. Clean, isolated power to each pedal is essential, to avoid interaction and ground loops. There are some wonderful power supplies on the market, but there are also some truly crappy ones. Get one of the good ones.

2. Quality cables matter, to reject noise, hums and buzzes and other interference, like EMI and RFI. To avoid high frequency loss from cable capacitance, as well as noise, keep the cables between pedals short.

3. Experiment with pedal order before finalizing your build. Lay 'em out on the floor or a table and try different things. There are NO rules about pedal order, you have to do what works for you, and we're all different. However, try a few pedal order choices recommended by others, and in the videos I linked, and use that as a starting point.

If you're fussy about the condition of your pedals, use some bubble wrap on the table or floor, so if your board is the type that has the wires underneath, you won't scratch everything up when you flip it over while you're wiring it.

Most important: Building a pedalboard is an interesting thing and it's fun! Don't stress over it. A pedalboard build is always an experiment. It's never right or wrong, and it's rarely ever "done". :)

Last edited:
@Lola I wish I lived near you. I would be more than happy to help you with your pedal board if I were. I have always built my own boards and made my own cables. I have yet to have a cable fail on me because I am a bit OCD, see what I did there?, with my cable construction.

Back